Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went in to a dealer on 11/21/16. I knew exactly what I wanted, so we did the order together with the specs that I wanted: black paint, windowless cargo partition, two extra key FOBS and a gas 3.6L engine. I applied for the loan in the same meeting. I was approved, but only for $20,000.00.

The sales manager took only a $20.00 deposit. He assured me that the Black 2016 159 LWB Ext had been ordered. He said that it would take about 8 weeks and that I wouldn't have to pay any more money until the van arrived.

My wife is the principal on the loan (she has great credit). She didn't get around to applying (online) until 11/25/16. She got approved.

I thought that it was so strange that they only took a $20.00 deposit for a $36,000.00 purchase. I'll bet that it will take longer, based on stories that I have read on this forum. I don't mind waiting for a long time, but sooner would be better.

I also wonder if it will be a 2017 when it finally comes, but a 2016 would be fine.

Do you guys think that I should call him up after a few weeks just to make sure that the order actually got placed and that all of the financing is in order?

·
Super Moderator
10,196 Posts
$36k sounds like an awful lot of $$$ for what you've ordered. I would expect to pay under $30k at max!

·
Premium Member
8,810 Posts
Once the order is placed FCA issues a build date and a number (not the VIN) and once the schedule for that day is developed a VIN is assigned. Your dealer’s order manager is the person to contact not your salesman. You will get a 2017 as production for the new year (2017) started July 27.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I called the dealership to make sure that the van had been ordered. He said that the order was definitely placed, and an estimate for the build date was 1/23/17. He gave me the VIN number, which was a very good sign.

He confirmed that I would be getting a 2017. He said that the van ought to arrive three weeks after the estimated build date, which would get it here about Valentine's Day.

I asked about the price. I never had a salesman. I drove 2 hours from my home (to Concord, CA) because the local Dodge dealer does not sell Promasters, so he referred me to a dealership that he knew was to be trusted. Before I made the drive, my local Dodge salesman checked that the dealership in Concord could order what I wanted.

After the drive, my appointment was with the manager of the dealership. He said that he is giving me "the fleet price", so I hope that I am not paying too much. They don't know what the incentives (i.e. rebate) will be in February. Since it has already been ordered, I think any discussion of the price I will pay may be academic.

Maybe once it gets here, I can go in and make a fuss about the price? Like I said, my wife is the principal on the loan; they said that she doesn't need to drive over there until the van is ready to be picked up, at which time we will pay the down payment, sign the loan documents and drive the van home.

Maybe that visit will feature a lot of push and pull over the price. I will do some research first in order to determine what "the fleet price" is for that specific product.

·
Premium Member
8,810 Posts
The fact you have only $20 invested is a good thing, and if you have not signed a purchase agreement that would be good too as you can continue to negotiate. If they won’t you can let them keep the $20. I too think you are paying too much but our New England incentive discount from FCA is $2K here I believe, which SoCal may not give. On my 2015 order I paid $400 under FCA stated invoice which I required them to show me, and $1000 incentive at the time I ordered and so I paid $34119 for a $38800 diesel van out the door, which was about 12% off. I also had an agreement for the $1000 even if it went away by the time the van arrived and a statement that if the incentive increased I got the higher one. That didn’t happen unfortunately. Buyers do much better if the van is on the lot (more as time goes by) but I had dealt with about 6 dealers I could easily drive to, and this was as good as I could do on an order. Ask for the invoice to know where you stand. A LWB EXT adds about as much to the invoice as a diesel over the 136”HT so you might be close to mine. If so you are a couple grand too high. I doubt there is any way ordering a van will let you get under $30K but who knows? KOV is a tough negotiator so he might. Ask him to fly out when you go to sign?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts