Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After much research and pondering, I have a few remaining questions about options before I finish the list for my 2017 2500 factory order. Unfortunately, there are no PMs on local dealer lots to look at, and the salesfolk are clueless.

What exactly does the Security Alarm (LSA) option do? How is it different from a normal factory car alarm linked to the key fob.

About the Interior Convenience Package (AJV):
Does a locking glove box mean the glove box itself is not standard, or just the lock?
Can anyone post a photo of the "shelf above roof trim"?
Is the "underseat storage tray" compatible with factory swivel seats? Photo anyone?
Thanks a bunch :)

·
Premium Member
8,837 Posts
In the interior convenience package you get a lock on the door of the normal glove box, The overhead storage is very nice and worth the pkg price, I don't have a pic, perhaps tomorrow. I don't believe the lowered base will have the bars that the under seat tray attach to but the tray itself should fit. Create a stop for it?

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
That's perfect, RD, just what I needed. I didn't want a glovebox if it meant loosing leg room, and the overhead shelf does sound handy. Sold! And now if I could just get info on the security alarm option.

Oh, one more question. Do PM's come standard with 2 key fobs, like most cars?

·
Registered
763 Posts
Overhead storage in cab ceiling? How tall are you? That is robbing prime headroom space so stubbing one's head and jamming the neck a bit becomes especially easy to do trying to get seated moving in from the cargo area...

$185 for a warm, kind & gentler steering wheel to pamper you for the next five or seven years sounds like a deal here after the last couple of hundred hours driving in real winter weather. The steel and vinyl regular wheel is great in summer, not so good once it gets and stays seriously cold.

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,692 Posts
SSS,

Just to clarify, the key fobs lock the front doors and rear cargo area doors, and unlock them.

The key fob doesn't set a factory alarm in a normal PM - there isn't one.... maybe the LSA package adds that? Worth more research on that option. It must do something for $495!

I don't recall anyone discussing that option here on the forum. Some have had aftermarket alarms added.

The overhead shelf is useful for me, and isn't in the way (most of the time). I'm 5' 5"

Ed

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,692 Posts
SSS,

In the 2017 Owners Manual...

VEHICLE SECURITY ALARM — IF EQUIPPED
The Vehicle Security Alarm monitors the vehicle doors and
ignition for unauthorized operation. When the Vehicle
Security Alarm is activated, interior switches for door locks
are disabled. The system provides both audible and visible
signals. For the first three minutes, the horn will sound,
and the turn signal lights will flash. For an additional 15
minutes, only the turn signal lights will flash.

Rearming Of The System

If the system has not been disabled, the Vehicle Security
Alarm will rearm itself after the 15 additional minutes of
turn lamps flashing. If the condition which initiated the
alarm is still present, the system will ignore that condition
and monitor the remaining doors and ignition.

To Arm The System
To arm the system, the Vehicle Security Alarm will set
when you use the key fob to lock the doors. If a door or the
hood is not properly shut, the alarm system will not be
armed.

To Disarm The System
Use the key fob to unlock the door and disarm the system.
The Vehicle Security Alarm will also disarm if a programmed
Sentry Key is inserted into the ignition switch. To
exit the alarming mode, push the key fob UNLOCK button,
or insert a programmed Sentry Key into the ignition
switch.

The Vehicle Security Alarm is designed to protect your
vehicle. However, you can create conditions where the
system will give you a false alarm. If one of the previously
described arming sequences has occurred, the Vehicle
Security Alarm will arm regardless of whether you are in
the vehicle or not. If you remain in the vehicle and open a
door, the alarm will sound. If this occurs, disarm the
Vehicle Security Alarm.

Security System Manual Override
The Vehicle Security Alarm will not arm if you lock the
doors using the manual door lock plunger.

Unless they added something new, there is NO MANUAL DOOR LOCK PLUNGER on my 2014 PM!

Ed

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for looking that up, Ed, much appreciated. Sounds exactly like a standard factory car alarm, only it's not standard. The 2017 Canadian price list says $200 MSRP.

I also have a vague memory of an overhead shelf in one of the Ducato RVs we've have rented in Europe. I assume the memory would have stuck much better if it had left a bad impression (on my forehead). Still sounds handy.

Anyone have a 2016 or 2017 with a lockless glovebox? I still find it odd that it's just the the lock that's optional.

·
Registered
67 Posts
SteveSS,

Here is the photo of the overhead shelf in the interior convenience package. It does have a lot of usable storage. Also, it doesn't restrict headroom, exactly, because it doesn't extend that far rearward. However, it does reduce the sightline at the upper edge of the windshield (mainly useful only to see overhead traffic signs and streetlights, unless you're an astronomy buff I suppose). Whether this is an issue for you is of course going to depend on your driving habits, height, and personal preference. For me, at a little under 5'11", and coming from a 2003 Dodge Ram Van, which was known for its low roofline, the outward visibility in the Promaster is such an improvement that any reduction doesn't bother me at all. Others might find it quite annoying. If you can't find vans on a lot somewhere to compare, you might try the dealer posted photos on Cars.com and other similar websites. Many listings have quite a number of decent quality photos (much better than mine) that could give you an idea of the differences.

Pete

Attachments

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here is the photo of the overhead shelf in the interior convenience package. ... it does reduce the sightline at the upper edge of the windshield
Thanks, Pete. That helps a lot. I'm about your height. The sightline thing is something we've found annoying in the Ducato RVs we've rented. Driving is not as bad as sightseeing. When you look up at a traffic light, can you see the rubber windshield gasket, or is it blocked by the visor and shelf? The nearest PM lot is a hour north, but I'll get up there eventually.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I got mine "used" (580 miles) but I would have ordered Swivel seats , Trailer Tow , and Upfitter Accessory Connector. If you don't use them at least the goodies help on the resale end .

·
Registered
117 Posts
The auxiliary 12v in mine is cargo area, back next to the rear door.

I'm 5'11" and can see lights and scenery fine from my swivel seats with the cargo shelf. The standard seats seemed to put my head up a little higher. YMMV. It's handy to hold stuff. The door pockets are way down in the basement and not the easiest to reach.

I believe the factory hitch has a higher rating than the Curt hitch. Get the factory. One less thing to mess with installing. You will have plenty of other things to deal with.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Having the factory electric towing harness & their hitch receiver installed as a factory option is a bargain at whatever they are asking. Dealer labor to install OEM towing package after the sale is a bunch more than the parts prices, I put the OEM kit in myself and the 12V power & electric brake control wires requires disassembling drivers door trim pieces and a bunch of flooring.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts