Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Super Moderator
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
To help out new buyers, maybe a thread on options to get or not to get would be helpful.

Here's my 2 pennies.

One option not to overlook is the extra keys. You get 2 FOBs for 150$, much cheaper than if you buy it later.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
I think this could be a useful thread, but in addition to a suggestion as to what to get/not get, the "why" should be included.

For example:

Cruise control - I didn't get it in my off-the-lot PM. Because of the slightly different seating level/angle, my leg and ankle would appreciate the break that cruise would give them. Aftermarket is more expensive, not a DIY install for many, and on something that's pressing my gas pedal while I'm in the van, I'd prefer OEM installed at the factory.
I can live without it, but on my next PM......:D

Navigation - I'm glad I didn't get it! I got a new Garmin that is spectacular, more user-friendly IMHO, and at 1/3 the price of OEM.

Ed

·
Super Moderator
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
UConnect 5.0
I have to disagree with you on this one, MsNomer. I didn't want this option, but I got it because it was included in the PM that was closest to the one I wanted. I tough it was expensive for what it was.

Like I said on another thread, one thing I don't like is that some programming (date, time, trip data...) are done via the touch screen. What happens if the screen goes blank? A few of us had that problem that was temporary, but it is not very reassuring for the future, I would hate to throw another grant to replace it.

·
Registered
886 Posts
power heated mirrors, even though I live in the south. Without that option you have to push on mirror with hands to adjust.

Package shelf near sun visors. Super handy

·
Premium Member
8,715 Posts
Get the front number plate bracket... no charge and you may live in a state that has front number plates, I do.

Get the up-fitter connection $35 if you plan to build anything in.

Get Blue or Red paint! What a change from White and No charge. Red is faster too.

Get the Aluminum Wheels... $395 a much better look!

I wouldn't pay $500+ for any radio, in my car or in my home. I wouldn't pay the same $500 for the rear view camera as they are available aftermarket with a good screen for $100.

Get the Lumbar support for you and the missus... it should be more comfortable and $150 well spent.

Skip the factory swivel seats as aftermarket, crash tested swivels are less than half and are a half hour install.

Skip the trailer hitch tow package ($395?) as Curt has one for $125 on Amazon and the wiring is $65... easy install too.

·
Super Moderator
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Get the Lumbar support for you and the missus... it should be more comfortable and $150 well spent.
Yeah, that's a must! I have a sciatica problem and I think it helps a lot, I drove a lot this summer and didn't have the pain I usually have.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Get the up-fitter connection $35 if you plan to build anything in.

Get Blue or Red paint! What a change from White and No charge. Red is faster too.

Get the Aluminum Wheels... $395 a much better look!

Skip the trailer hitch tow package ($395?) as Curt has one for $125 on Amazon and the wiring is $65... easy install too.
RD... NH as in New Hampshire?

I agree plus or minus a few details.

I got Graphite Metallic, what a difference from the white ones! Live in CT, went to VT to buy it in "not-white".

I bought the full wheel covers, for about $120. Looks like the aluminum ones at anything over 10 mph!>:D

Wish I had the Lumbar....I'm wondering if it's just a few parts added to the stock seat... can't be too complicated.

Did the same on the hitch... really easy one man install.... half hour project!;)

Ed

·
Registered
119 Posts
Mopar has a super durable cargo mat. I got mine from the dealer after I bought the van for somewhere around $300. for my 159" WB it is a great fit with cutouts for the hold down loops. I expect this thing to last for years. Maybe it can be ordered with a new van as an option?

Extra keys and fobs are a must, especially if you have to give one up for an alarm/remote start like I am.

Full wheel covers look decent, but for $280 more you can enjoy the real things (aluminum wheels) for years.

Wish I got the heated folding mirrors. This van is a tighter fit in my shop that I thought and it is snowing already in CLE. On the other hand, the mirrors don't need adjustments once they are dialed in. Great field of vision.

$500 for a cargo partition for behind the seats? Looks cool but I love walking into my cargo area just like the UPS guy. Glad I did not get that one.

Wish I had the lumbar too just because my back is a wreck, but no complaints with the seats it came with.

I did what the others above did with the Curt Hitch and wiring kit. (thanks to their earlier suggestions) but $395, for the factory installed unit is not bad especially if if they enhance the vehicle in any way as part of the tow package?

Is the overhead package tray standard? If not, GET IT! my nice stuff stays nice up there. Gym bag, a clean extra work jacket, computer bar, etc.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Mopar has a super durable cargo mat. I got mine from the dealer after I bought the van for somewhere around $300. for my 159" WB it is a great fit with cutouts for the hold down loops. I expect this thing to last for years. Maybe it can be ordered with a new van as an option?
I did what the others above did with the Curt Hitch and wiring kit. (thanks to their earlier suggestions) but $395, for the factory installed unit is not bad especially if if they enhance the vehicle in any way as part of the tow package?
I just looked up the cargo mat option, $340. Is it some type of rubberized material? Any smell? Anybody have the oem wood composite floor at $395?

I haven't bought either one yet, but I brought up the Hitch questions in another thread, & I think the factory fits up tighter and looks better.

·
Super Moderator
8,987 Posts
I have the the floor. It came with it. It's ok but I wouldn't special order it either. It's just held down with globs of silicone which do seem to hold well. I would have preferred to put my own plywood floor down however and have more control of the installation. Plus it's not a deal at $340!

·
Registered
164 Posts
DON'T get the navigation system UNLESS you like TomTom. I have always had Garmin and I think it is the best so I never use the $400 navi in the dash.

·
Registered
338 Posts
It seems like most deleted the factory partition that was the first think I ordered along with the passenger double seat. I didn't get it for cargo protection, I ordered it for a/c/heat efficiency. Living in Texas and working out in the elements everyday, it sure is nice to cool down/heat the small area quickly rather than the entire van. The passenger double seat is great as well, extra seating is always a plus not to mention more area to dump stuff on and be able to reach easily. Power/heated mirrors a must this thing is wider than most Sumo wrestlers. I ordered a lot of options, but to each their own.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Here is a list of options/reasons for purchasing. Interior options as follows:

interior convenience group=shelf above driver/passenger/locking glove box.
Reason= why not? cheap and having a area to throw stuff up into like chip bags/clothes/speeding tickets is, well, convenient. Oh, and my 9MM sits up there too when I leave the van it goes into the locking glove box. Cruise control=I live in Texas need I say more?

Uconnect=upgrade from standard radio/steering wheel controls/Bluetooth etc..
Reason=pretty cool I mean screen could be bigger but I like the fact controls are on steering wheel seems like having this is living the future not the past.

Partition=everyone knows what this is.
Reason=It can get African hot here so this keeps the a/c/heat inside a smaller area instead of cooling/heating the entire van.

Passenger double seat=extra seat.
Reason=having an extra seat is nice, plus I like an additional surface to throw stuff onto and it's a short reach to grab. Leather wrapped steering wheel=leather wrapped steering wheel duh! Reason=I wanted to walk into a bar and say to the first hot chic "hey, wanna see my PM with the leather wrapped steering wheel?

Wood floor/cargo mat=wood floor/cargo mat.
Reason=I know I got both, let me explain. The wood floor is not bad on a scale of 1-10 it's a 6. I think this is a pretty good floor, there are better ones out there, but like I said in previous post, I like the "turn key" approach. I will use the rubber mat to protect the wood floor when I load heavy/sharp equipment I am anal. Lower side wall paneling=paneling on only the lower sides of cargo area.
Reason=gives a more finished look, plus, keeps stuff from falling into spaces/crevices never to be seen again.

Cargo convenience package=extra side wall tie downs/recessed netted compartment on back door.
Reason=I may never use this, but, it's nice to have just in case you need it RIGHT NOW! Exterior options as follows:

Appearance package=silver center grill/fog lamps. Reason=Let's face it, that's a big black bumper! This kinda breaks up this look makes it more aesthetically pleasing. As far as the fog lamps You can never have enough frontal light, especially here with the rain/hurricanes and other natural disasters.

Low roof/136=another duh!
Reason= You know, I went back and forth should I get tall roof/low roof blah blah blah. I decided on the low roof because I work out of the van not in it. Plus, the low roof is still freaking huge!

Power/heated mirrors=one more duh!
Reason=these vans are extremely wide so decreasing it's width at critical moments is required. That's it, I could list the options/reasons that I did not get, but I didn't get them so I don't care.

Good Day!

·
Registered
338 Posts
Forgot one more exterior option: trailer tow package=class IV hitch/4/7pin wiring plug/harness. Reason=Very clean install from factory I will be towing a small travel trailer with the PM.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts