Ram Promaster Forum banner

Options - Mirrors and seats and windows, oh my!

4K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  ShaunB 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,

I've been shopping for a PM for several weeks, and am now thinking about maybe ordering one. Before I go that route, I'd like to get some clarification about some of the options.

First, which are the 'must haves'? I'm thinking speed control, power/heated mirrors, and rear door windows at least. If I'm going to order, I'll get the factory seat swivels.

A few others I'm wondering about:

Side door window - On the 2018 models, this comes with a grate. Any issues with removing that, or would I be better off skipping the factory window and installing an aftermarket one?
4-way vs. 6-way seats - I'm guessing the 6-way just has a height adjustment. Any other differences?
220 alternator - Is this needed with a (simple) camper conversion? I will want a secondary battery system for a roof fan, refrigerator, and ac outlets, but probably won't need a heavy-duty electrical system.
Aux switches and rear ac/heat prep - Are these useful in a camper?

Thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi everyone,

220 alternator - Is this needed with a (simple) camper conversion? I will want a secondary battery system for a roof fan, refrigerator, and ac outlets, but probably won't need a heavy-duty electrical system.
Aux switches and rear ac/heat prep - Are these useful in a camper?

Thanks!
IMHO anything electrical you can add-on would be beneficial. You will want the 220 alternator to charge that secondary system. The aux. switches and rear heat prep can be re-purposed to an extent. You may also want to add the up-fitters option. This will give you power/can-bus connections at the passenger side B pillar.

#6 ·
Hmm, I really have no clue what the aux switches and rear heat prep are. Can you tell me how they might be used in a camper?

You'll definitely want a slider door window for safety. We didn't get one, but have since added the CRL window on the slider. Really nice where it has an opening vent at the bottom. I might suggest you skip the factory window and get a CRL window installed after you get your van.
Rear door windows are not a must have. I can't imagine being able to see much out of them. As far as windows in the slider, either you order a factory one or plan on putting in an after market one.

As you guessed, 6 way seats adjust for height, but also tilt. Given how limited the steering wheel adjustment is, I'd get the 6 way seats.
Heated seats are always nice.
Yep, I definitely want rear door and slider door windows, both for visibility while driving and for light / views when hanging out inside on rainy days. It seems the factory windows are cheaper, but they're hard to find on the lots and it would be nice to have an vented window on the slider.

Thanks for the info on the 6-way adjustments. The van I test drove had the stock 4-way seats, and they felt a bit high (short legs here). Heated seats would be great, but it looks like I can only get 6-way / heated OR swivels.

In 2018 are the heated or 6-way seats available with factory swivels? In 2017 they weren't, and the factory swivels are actually a different seat with attached shoulder belt, so I suspect that's still true.

I find the rear windows quite useful in traffic.
Right, the swivel option isn't available with heated or 6-way seats. I'm not finding any info. on what adjustments the swivel seats have, aside from swiveling of course. :)

Thanks for the help!

#3 ·
You'll definitely want a slider door window for safety. We didn't get one, but have since added the CRL window on the slider. Really nice where it has an opening vent at the bottom. I might suggest you skip the factory window and get a CRL window installed after you get your van.

Reactions: Annie
#4 ·
Rear door windows are not a must have. I can't imagine being able to see much out of them. As far as windows in the slider, either you order a factory one or plan on putting in an after market one.

As you guessed, 6 way seats adjust for height, but also tilt. Given how limited the steering wheel adjustment is, I'd get the 6 way seats.

Heated seats are always nice.

#11 ·
6 way seats are a definite as these vans don't have the best driving position so the more adjustment the better, is there an option for lower seat bases? as i had to fit them to ours as fitting the swivels made them too high.

Rear view camera i couldn't live without as this makes parking very easy mine has 2 cameras 1 that looks down to the bumper and another that looks out so you can use like a rear view mirror. Andy

#13 ·
Parking assist sensors is very useful. I would highly recommend. As far as rear heat/ac prep, I ordered it but when I had my auxiliary heater installed (Webasto Thermotop), the installere wasn't able to make use of it. Based on my experience I wouldn't order that.

The extended mirrors are not required as the standard size are excellent, but do get the power folding as I find it helpful when parking in tight spots.

Get the 220A if you plan on having a coach battery.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.