Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I end up on some gnarly roads, especially in the southern UT desert. After bottoming out my 3500 twice (only minor damage :) ) I am looking at options for improving clearance. There is some interesting info in this thread http://www.promasterforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51066 on lift options, and it seems like using http://www.spaccer.com/ might be a good option for lifting by 2" or so. My questions are:

1. Which options have people tried for adding a few inches of lift? Any issues/considerations?
  2. What is the largest tire diameter that people have been able to fit? With or without modifications to the wheel well?

Thanks!

·
Registered
468 Posts
I'm totally interested in this also. I think the vans look really good with the front lifted and aggressive tires. the largest tire I have seen people run is the 245/75/16 some have rub and some don't. I don't have personal experience just going by what I have read. From the pictures I have seen the 245 are tight in the back and I would have to say that's the limit without lift. If you do get the spacers please share pictures.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I end up on some gnarly roads, especially in the southern UT desert. After bottoming out my 3500 twice (only minor damage
Thanks mikenamar, very useful iinfo. I am interested in the Promater because it's front wheel drive and sits lowest. Unless I figure out how to power the ARB freezer, induction cooktop and heat the van, I will have to choose the Transit with a horizontal propane tank.

·
Super Moderator
10,542 Posts
Lots of us here have NO propane and don't miss it at all. There are other far better options than propane, BUT there are also several people here who have gone the propane route with no difficulties at all mounting the tank

·
Premium Member
2014, 138WB, High Roof, Gas, SW MT
2,084 Posts
Hi,
We use a regular 20 lb BBQ propane tank mounted inside the van in a sealed and strongly built compartment that is vented to the outside. Like it a lot better than last RV with tank mounted under the frame which had a lot of problems with short component life due to road mud etc.

We use the propane for heat and cooking. For cooking it would last years, and for heat on a 20F ish night it only uses about half a gallon -- so, it can do a week of quite cold weather. Refills are a quick exchange an any of the thousands of places that BBQ cylinder exchanges. Only real downside is that it takes up a bit of space.

This is what our tank install looks like: http://www.buildagreenrv.com/our-co...van-conversion-installing-the-propane-system/

Gary

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
While the propane discussion is interesting, I would like to bring it back to the original topic: Lift and tire size.

Sounds like some have had luck with 245 tires. Does anyone running those also have a lift? I imagine that could change how the tire sits in the wheel well and possibly affect rubbing, etc.

·
Registered
171 Posts
For the front there are in Europe the AL-KO ACS Comfort Suspension for the front. It is used mainly for motorhome builders, and rise the nose 25 mm for "ligth" version or 40 mm for heavy version, if I remember well.
Different are also the coils so there is less nose dive and dynamics.
There is also a reduction of noise.

They do also suspensions addo-ons and suspensions systems for the rear.
There are several other manufacturers.

Otherwise You could write to Dangel, they do the 4x4 version of the Fiat Ducato (authorized by FCA). Only for 2.3 diesel engine.
They also have an option to raise the van (+ protections) so You could an advise to them.
The mechanical parts of this Fiat Professional demo motorhome is made by them

·
Registered
155 Posts
I don't think spaccer would work on the promaster stock rear suspension as it is a simple axle and leaf spring design with nothing to stack the spaccer on.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I will have about 500lbs hanging 3ft behind the rear bumper. I will definitely have airbags to aid the rear suspension. Might also add stoppers to prevent the van from bottoming out IF it's feasible.

Dodge RAM Promaster 1500 2500 3500 Van 2014 2015 & 2016 BOSS Air Bag Kit LA66 for $400...

·
Premium Member
8,832 Posts
A couple of things. 1. That suspension has a SINGLE leaf where ours have a double, already lifting our vans’ rear about 3 inches. 2. I doubt hanging 500 lbs out 3 feet from the rear of our vans will make much difference, the stock suspension is built to carry about 4500 lbs. although I know it would normally be forward but really 500 lbs. is nothing.
This picture makes me more interested in removing the second leaf on my jacked up rear end on my 1500 to get it down, the reverse of what the OP wants!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's a good point Turf n Surf. Even just a lift on the front with bigger tires all around would be helpful.

MJAB, I think I will contact them. I like what they have done with the rear axle so it doesn't hang so low in the middle.

·
Registered
338 Posts
A couple of things. 1. That suspension has a SINGLE leaf where ours have a double, already lifting our vans’ rear about 3 inches. 2. I doubt hanging 500 lbs out 3 feet from the rear of our vans will make much difference, the stock suspension is built to carry about 4500 lbs. although I know it would normally be forward but really 500 lbs. is nothing.
This picture makes me more interested in removing the second leaf on my jacked up rear end on my 1500 to get it down, the reverse of what the OP wants!
Lots of info here: http://www.promasterforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44057

·
Premium Member
2,084 Posts
I will have about 500lbs hanging 3ft behind the rear bumper. I will definitely have airbags to aid the rear suspension. Might also add stoppers to prevent the van from bottoming out IF it's feasible.

Dodge RAM Promaster 1500 2500 3500 Van 2014 2015 & 2016 BOSS Air Bag Kit LA66 for $400...
Adding 500 lbs 36 inches aft of back of van to a 136 WB van will add 780 lbs to the rear axle load and remove (lighten) front axle load by 280 lbs.

Gary

·
Premium Member
Master Overland Custom Vans Tampa
892 Posts
I end up on some gnarly roads, especially in the southern UT desert. After bottoming out my 3500 twice (only minor damage :) ) I am looking at options for improving clearance. There is some interesting info in this thread http://www.promasterforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51066 on lift options, and it seems like using http://www.spaccer.com/ might be a good option for lifting by 2" or so. My questions are:

1. Which options have people tried for adding a few inches of lift? Any issues/considerations?
  2. What is the largest tire diameter that people have been able to fit? With or without modifications to the wheel well?

Thanks!
1. Spaccer is the only available option to lift the front end. A user here has used the Spaccer's. For the rear the only available options are: add-a-leaf, airbags, or Sumo Springs. The heavy duty Sumo Springs add around 1".
2. I have 245's and they fit great with no rubbing.

I also spent time off road in Utah. No bottoming out even with my water tanks mounted underneath in the middle of the van.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Adding 500 lbs 36 inches aft of back of van to a 136 WB van will add 780 lbs to the rear axle load and remove (lighten) front axle load by 280 lbs.

Gary
HI Gary,

Let us pick your brain, what are the numbers for the 159 WB?

·
Premium Member
2,084 Posts
HI Gary,

Let us pick your brain, what are the numbers for the 159 WB?
Not sure what the distance is from rear axle to back of van on the 159 WB -- if its the same 40 inches as the 136 WB, then adding 500 lbs 36 inches aft of the back of van would add 740 lbs to rear axle load, and decrease front axle load by 240 lbs.
Not a whole lot of difference.

The equation is

Rear axle increment = (159 + 40 +36)(500) / 159 = 740 lbs

That is, if you take moments about the front axle of the van, the clockwise moment of the added 500 lbs has to offset by a counter clockwise moment at the rear tires.

Gary

·
Registered
523 Posts
This is how looks like the rear suspensions of the demo motorhome of Fiat Professional.

I have ideas of building or modifying a rear beam to gain more clearance in the middle. It wouldn't be hard just some balls to cut and modify the stock one. I really love what these guys do, awesome.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts