Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see this as an option on the web site and I have seen a few people here mention it. Yet information about it seems scarce. I have asked the dealer about it and they keep saying they are checking.

Does any one have this option? What exactly does it include?

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So the dealer finally gets back to me....

"AUX battery prep is so you can have an extra battery put in for your accessories that you'll be putting in."

Kinda figured that from the name of the option. I had asked for details of what is provided, diagrams, instructions. The response was...

"Google might have some images but I don't see any in the brochure."

Google is good but it can't read the minds of the MOPAR marketers or engineers. If this is a published, available option, why is it so hard to find info about it?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have placed my order for a 2017 PM for our DIY RV and I ordered this option "just because it might be useful". I could not find any specific data on what it consisted of either. So maybe in 16 weeks or however long it takes to get here on the dealer lot I can share some photos? Later this fall maybe...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
You may want to talk to a Winnebago dealer. There is an auxillary battery mount under the van just in front of the left rear tire. Perhaps they can offer some assistance.

·
Super Moderator
10,650 Posts
Do it yourself, save money, get a better setup. It's not rocket science.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Do it yourself, save money, get a better setup. It's not rocket science.
To do it safely you do need to understand how the electricity may flow.

In the end I bought off the lot that did not have that option. I managed to install under the drivers seat.

·
Registered
14 Posts
bobwhite263, do you have any photos of your 2017 PM showing what the Auxiliary Battery Prep looks like? Thanks

My PM arrived in November, working on making it a DIY RV now. I have no clue what the battery prep is even now that I have it in my PM. I believe it's just a connector in the wall behind the passenger seat where you can tie in the house battery feed? Not sure if it's connected all the time to the vehicle feed or only when running? It remains a mystery what it is that I paid extra for!?!?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
Get out the multimeter, or even just a 12 volt test light, and test it. It will be interesting to see what it does. Ideally, you would not see voltage from it until after the van has cranked and engine is running. How heavy is the guage of the wire? Can you post a pic? How much did the option cost?

·
Registered
834 Posts
I've noticed a lot of WAGs on this forum . I've found that Shop Manuals are very helpful and factual . Has anyone used a manual to solve mysteries ?
I was fortunate to be able to get Ford Shop DVDs before they "timed out" when I was working on my Transit Connect . I printed the schematics etc. before the disc self destructed .
I'm near the "camper" wiring point on my PM that "just the facts ma'am" 411 will save a lot of WAGing .
So any shop manuals out there ?

·
Premium Member
8,837 Posts
Hey I’ll try not to even comment on your next problem as I am a WAG’n fool! WAG is a complement right? You might first find the availability of a printed shop manual and post it up, my search a year ago resulted in a Ducato Diesel Manual ,digital, I have that but nothing else. This is the first of my 25-30 vehicles I have not had a paper manual for. Care to buy a slightly used manual for a 1963 Simca 1000, 356 pages, covers 1962-64? I’ll pay $229 for a disk when **** freezes over (in AZ)

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
...and for $229, as the description states, "IT DOES NOT CONTAIN THE TRADITIONAL WIRING DIAGRAM INFORMATION."
I might be more prone to dropping two bills on a manual if it was a paper copy. I would have no problem buying one, even in the electronic format, if I knew it was comprehensive. This one sure sounds suspect. I am not interested in a manual that only chases down trouble codes.

·
Registered
2014 Ram Promaster 2500 159" diesel
1,488 Posts
It's the same as the Mopar cd that sell's for $134 per vehicle year. No paper or wiring manuals after 2008. Your year may be listed under Dodge or Ram so look in both. If you need to replace a component the how to is there. It does list codes and how to diagnose the problem if you can find them there's no search function.
Go to www.techauthority.com/
Look for Service Manuals.

·
Registered
61 Posts
You may want to talk to a Winnebago dealer. There is an auxillary battery mount under the van just in front of the left rear tire. Perhaps they can offer some assistance.
does anyone have a pic. of this. Please

·
Registered
834 Posts
Well thank you Ladies and Gentlemen . Great responses . With these newfangled hi-tech vehicles these days , one must be VERY careful with the wiring . In order to reduce weight for CAFE(?) standards most wires carry multiple signals to relays/GEMs. They don't carry amperage to do a function, just a command . Foul that and here we go (judging by folks experience at the dealers).
Pouring over the shop manual/wiring diagram is what I plan to do , unless someone knows details about Aux Battery.
The old E-Line had the wires in the harness , just had to finish off the hookup. I gave up trying to tap into the dome lights on my Ford T/C because of the GEMs.
Thank you again, Ken

PS 50#s of GEMs/relays vs 20# of wires ???

·
Super Moderator
10,650 Posts
I don't believe many here have bothered with using the extra battery option. When you can do a better job for less and put it where YOU want and use better materials why fool around with a Mickey Mouse option? I wouldn't use it if it came standard. This site and both the Sprinter and a Transit sites along with dozens of RV sites have extremely good, highly detailed, well documented instructions on how to add an aux battery. Unless you are a total klutz it's not really a big deal or particularly difficult.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts