Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just started doing final measurements with bikes inside for wall install. Looks like 3 full sized dirt bikes will fit in a 159" length PM in front of the door pillar!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Perfect!
Got to protect walls now from reverse dents.
Do you race those bad boys?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya im going to use my enclosed trailer for another month while building. Ordered Dynamat today, bubble wrap insulation, then going to get a bunch of 1/2" plywood to cover walls. Carpet later. Not too much racing for me, lots of track days, indoor, and offroad tho! My son has started racing, and until he does it without my help, im sitting trackside. Lol

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
That is amazing that the three bikes fit in there so good.
Hope your son does well and stays safe.
I having been riding and racing since I was 10 years old and I am 50 now.
Have not ridden for 7 years now. And I am getting the itch to get into it again,but only
pleasure riding as I am to old with bad shoulders.
The pictures were inspiring.
Please post pics after the mods.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will def post more pics, just trying to figure out how... Lots of pleasure riding to do uncubed the last seven years have been good to bikes, technology is amazing. Great to hear your an avid two wheeler too!

·
Registered
247 Posts
Love the build. I'm hoping to do the same. My E350 extended motovan is getting tight...

How much room behind the bikes if you build a wall at the pillar?

Do you have plans for seats in the back? For the 4 of us I'd really like to put some nice captains chairs in the back, but not sure how I want to go. The kids get on each other's nerves currently with the bench in the E350.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just a couple inches of room in the back... I built the wall this weekend, and will take more pics of the wall configuration. The seat I bought was from imageseating.com I ordered the 68" seat, added a middle headrest, and got the arm rests. Shipping was a little spendy, but it will look and function great as a sofa bed. Passengers will sit straight ahead, having one side window and the front window to look out of. The sofa bed comes with 3 seatbelts I will have to install against the wall we built.

If I knew how to use that picture website, I would post all progress of the Motovan!

·
Registered
247 Posts
Thanks for the update. I just picked one up a week or so ago and have seats and windows arriving today. I'm very interested in seeing pictures of your wall.

·
Premium Member
855 Posts
Ya im going to use my enclosed trailer for another month while building. Ordered Dynamat today, bubble wrap insulation, then going to get a bunch of 1/2" plywood to cover walls. Carpet later. Not too much racing for me, lots of track days, indoor, and offroad tho! My son has started racing, and until he does it without my help, im sitting trackside. Lol
Check your PM. I may be able to help.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Awesome

Build looks good.

I"m really interested in the 159" promaster. I used to have an old Dodge conversion van. It would serve as a family roadtrip vehicle. And for dirtbiking, I would transport my bike on a hitch hauler. It was great for camping. Or great for rolling in late the night before an endure and crawling in the back to sleep for 6 hours then being there ready to ride in the morning.

Anyway, I'm interested in having the 159"wb promaster and setting it up for hauling 2-3 dirtbikes in the back. Then having 2 captain's chairs so I have seating for 4 people.
I have never hauled bikes inside a van. Is a roof vent w/ fan needed for possible bike fumes?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bucho, I hauled two bikes to have a "dad's" ride at one of our local tracks for the first time this week. The drive to the track was roughly a 1/2 hour. My assumption is as follows:

1. Amazing to change into riding gear in a warm rig, sitting in a chair, listening to tunes...
2. Easily hauled all my gear getting roughly 16 - 19 mpg, no trailer.
3. No awkward smells, but riding a sandy track for the day instead of wet mud.
4. Absolutely single best decision I've made for many years...

Still waiting on my sofa bed to arrive hopefully this next week and then shore power with battery and inverter. So I can add a fridge, TV, and ect.

The only bad I can find is that I need a lot more speakers so in between motos we can all rock out!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here is a picture of the inner frame structure we built for the garage wall. Plate at the bottom is for the center bike to ride a couple inches closer to the front. Bottom of wall is bolted through the floor in four places with an aluminum flat bracket. Sides are bolted in the stock seatbelt nuts.

Attachments

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Garage wall is covered in mlv and closed cell foam, then Hein's thinsulate. After rhino lining the floor i cut mlv and ccfoam to lay under the plywood. Painted plywood with garage floor paint and finished corner with aluminum trim.

Attachments

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Got my 67" sprinter seat a couple days ago... I'll get it bracketed and put in this next week.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Got my 67" sprinter seat a couple days ago... I'll get it bracketed and put in this next week.
Ddog,

You're calling that a Sprinter seat but I haven't seen one that looks like that. Looks like it extends into a bed.... and easier to mount than a Sprinter seat.

Doesn't look like there's any 3 point seatbelts, but with your wall, it should be easy to implement.

Progress so far looks great!

Ed

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Ddog,

You're calling that a Sprinter seat but I haven't seen one that looks like that. Looks like it extends into a bed.... and easier to mount than a Sprinter seat.

Doesn't look like there's any 3 point seatbelts, but with your wall, it should be easy to implement.

Progress so far looks great!

Ed

ProEddie,

I had a custom seat built, they call it a 67" sprinter seat. I ordered from Image Seating as a 68" cord for a promaster. It is a jackknife sofa/bed. You can keep 1.5" off wall and it slides into a bed. I wanted to add my own seatbelts as needed to the wall and the floor. The seatbelts will arrive this week!

I will weld plates to the bottom instead of those cheap brackets they sell online. Then drill and seal the floor and attach seatbelts through the plate as well. I will post pics with the floor back in and the chair installed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
How did the seat install go? If you have a moment, I'd love to learn more about your process.
I just ordered a freedman seat and wondering if I should drill the placement before installing my floor (so as to avoid drilling through the side of one of the floor ridges).
nice work on the build!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts