Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did a 10k oil change a couple weeks back. Took the PM on a road trip to the mountains during the hurricane. Apparently we didn't go far enough west. Had 60 mph gusts Saturday night that broke the frames that hold the tent in our pop up camper up. Wife very not happy at spending a cold noisy night laying on the reclined passenger seat while I was in the back of the van in a cot. Repaired the camper after we got home. Simple plumbing elbows and tubing to repair the frames. Its an old motorcycle pop up camper made by Kwik Kamp.
Took the PM in for this years state inspection today. No issues. In good shape! Brought it home and gave it a good scrubbing all over and then rotated the tires. 11k miles on it. They needed rotated. Fronts are worn about 1/16" more than the rear. But no nails or any uneven wear! Tested out the spares winch and found it works OK. Rotated the spare so the valve stem is now at the rear for checking pressure more easily. Tiring day, but good to get to know this stuff!

These wheels are damned heavy for a worn out 55 year old to wrestle with. Especially since they use lug bolts. Have to be perfectly aligned to the hub to get a bolt started. Next time I'll pay a shop to do it.

Got another road trip to the mountains this weekend in it! Love this van!

·
Registered
399 Posts
.... Have to be perfectly aligned to the hub to get a bolt started. Next time I'll pay a shop to do it...
Buy a long bolt with the same threads (preferably with an unthreaded shank for most of the bolt). Cut the head off and round off or taper the cut end if you can. Then thread it into a hole (preferably the top one) by hand and "hang" the rim on the bolt to line the rim up. Insert the remaining lug bolts to mount the rim. Remove your hanger bolt and insert the final lug bolt. It's a standard trick for european cars. Much easier - all you have to do is line up the long bolt with one of the lug holes.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The hard part was getting my head at hub level WHILE lifting the wheel into place so I could see when to start the bolt!

Settled on putting a pry bar under the tire and using that to lift it as I laid on my side to see the hub.

ETA: Almost 2k miles in two weeks on it. That was fun!

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Buy a long bolt with the same threads (preferably with an unthreaded shank for most of the bolt). Cut the head off and round off or taper the cut end if you can. Then thread it into a hole (preferably the top one) by hand and "hang" the rim on the bolt to line the rim up. Insert the remaining lug bolts to mount the rim. Remove your hanger bolt and insert the final lug bolt. It's a standard trick for european cars. Much easier - all you have to do is line up the long bolt with one of the lug holes.
Cool idea! I'll get a piece of threaded stock and use my lathe to cut a tapered stub on one end. Just keep it in the glove box to keep it handy!

·
Registered
378 Posts
Ha! we used to share a single bed when she was in college. But we have both grown out a bit over the decades. I have a 52" chest and fill a 20" wide cot pretty easily. Much as I would love to have her smooshed atop me all night, it ain't gonna happen. Can't believe this was four years ago. Wow. Still loving the van and it is still in close to new condition. Hope all the rallies don't get canceled this year too.

Reactions: MtBiker
1 - 9 of 9 Posts