Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2014 Promaster 136" Just suffered a failure of transmission #2 .

The current transmission was rebuilt in Feb of 2016 and made it 19k miles before it died today.

So at 70k ish miles the van is now back at the dealer waiting,

Just as it happened last time all dodge shops were "Extremely busy" and could not even start the repair for several weeks. The estimated start times were anywhere from Early August (2.5 to 3 weeks) to Last week in August before they can even look into it.

Here we go again, last repair took 4 weeks from start to finish with no offer of rental reimbursement from Ram.

So annoyed!

·
Super Moderator
10,499 Posts
Most likely it's not really the tranny but something else like the torque converter or flywheel causing it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Most likely it's not really the tranny but something else like the torque converter or flywheel causing it.

Last time it was a pump failure resulting in a torque converter several clutch somethings, 2 gears, a ring something and bearings. The paperwork does not break it down since it was warranty, All i know it it was 69% of the total cost of a new transmission, had it been %72 or higher ram would have replaced it with a factory assembly.

The failure this time sounded exactly like last time.
Normal drive for 1 hr
High pitch squeal @ hwy speed
No power to drive when gas pressed
several gear slams as van coasted to stop
Shifted into park, wont move in Drive
just a loud metallic rubbing sound in any gear.

·
Registered
473 Posts
You had an unuasual failure originally and should have had a replacement transmission then. There might be something in the casting, maybe a plugged oil valley or something like that in the original transmission that has caused both failures. I've got nearly 70K miles on mine with no problems. Our old minivan that had basically the same transmission had 360k miles on it and the only problem we had was the solenoid pack failed at around 240k miles. It was a cheap fix so I'm not complaining. Hopefully they'll replace it this time and you'll be trouble free forever. Are you a business link member? They should bump you up to next in line if so.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Sorry to hear that, this SUCk BIG TIME! Hope they will give you a new tranny this time around. Its a work van and that kind of down time is unacceptable! I plan to keep my next van(a camper) for a very long time. So I am leaning more and more towards the diesel engine because of the auto/manual 6 speed tranny. Even though a gas engine and 5 speed manual gear box would be more suitable for my needs.

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,682 Posts
Copied from another forum without commen:

"the Promaster 3.0 liter diesel may become a bit of an orphan. When originally brought to the Promaster from its Ducato parent in Europe it suffered emission control related problems trying to meet more stringent US diesel emission standards. Now that Europe has similarly stringent Euro VI diesel standards FCA decided to replace the 3.0 diesel with a new uprated version of the Multijet 2.3 LPEGR diesel engine that meets Euro VI and gets 19% better fuel mileage.

"With the 3.0 diesel dropped from the Ducato for emission reasons its future stateside seems iffy. Besides that Pentastar gas V6 is one sweet engine that achieves good performance without complexities of direct injection, turbocharging, or EGR valves that could go foul in the hinterlands. While gas prices remain low it's tough to justify the diesel."

·
Registered
27 Posts
[/QUOTE]"Pentastar gas V6 is one sweet engine that achieves good performance without complexities of direct injection, turbocharging, or EGR valves that could go foul in the hinterlands. While gas prices remain low it's tough to justify the diesel."[/QUOTE]

There are positives with the diesel option too. No propane, solar panels or generator required. I would be using the engine to power an induction cooktop, heating, cooling and charging the aux. batteries intermittently. I was told by a friend who owns a TDI that "you got to drive a diesel like you stole it once awhile to get rid of the carbon built up".

BUT, pair that V6 with a 5 speed manual gear box. "Shut up and take my money":laugh: My preference is 90km/55mph on B roads with a car or bike. With a camper, I would be even slower. I been looking for a bumper sticker that says "I am old and pregnant">:D

·
Registered
171 Posts
Copied from another forum without commen:

"the Promaster 3.0 liter diesel may become a bit of an orphan. When originally brought to the Promaster from its Ducato parent in Europe it suffered emission control related problems trying to meet more stringent US diesel emission standards. Now that Europe has similarly stringent Euro VI diesel standards FCA decided to replace the 3.0 diesel with a new uprated version of the Multijet 2.3 LPEGR diesel engine that meets Euro VI and gets 19% better fuel mileage. It also make use of new model of injector.

"With the 3.0 diesel dropped from the Ducato for emission reasons its future stateside seems iffy. Besides that Pentastar gas V6 is one sweet engine that achieves good performance without complexities of direct injection, turbocharging, or EGR valves that could go foul in the hinterlands. While gas prices remain low it's tough to justify the diesel."
But the information is partial since:
1) the U.S.A. emission control system are different than in Europe and also diesel blend (the diesel fuel is better quality in Europe, similar to the California diesel).
2) the 2.3 engine use LPEGR in cargo versions and SCR for passengers versions. In the base Iveco Daily the 2.3 will have since january 2017 SCR, but, if requested by clients that do low mileage, they will offer on demand the LPEGR solution.
3) the 3.0 (a.k.a as F1C or S30) is now Euro VI compliant with SCR and continue to be used in Iveco Daily (bigger truck and RWD). It was upgrade so now has maximum torque of 470 Nm of maximum torque and up to 205 HP maximum power. It is also available coupled with ZF 8HP transmission.

I have to verify if they sell the 3.0 Euro VI with SCR for big camper conversions.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Lets stop hijacking this transmission thread. Auto transmission are a North America thing, everywhere else is the complete opposite. So is drive thurs, we are even too lazy to get out of our vehicles for coffee and banking. Is there any wonder WE North Americans are the fattest bunch? I drove a manual until I got married. We had to sell our Honda Civic with 125.000km because the tranny was starting to slip. Wish all car manufacturers let us vote with our wallets instead of group options as packages...

·
Premium Member
8,828 Posts
Yea I hear you. Thankfully I am so old I need to go inside anytime I consider coffee so I park and go in. My van may be too tall for most drive thru’s too. I avoided automatics until 2005 or so when my 1994 Explorer reached end of life issues (don’t ask) and was on it’s third throwout bearing slave cylinder (internal to the clutch housing 226Kmi.). Buying used puts you at the mercy of the market and in Phoenix a manual transmission truck is VERY hard to find thus Auto F150.

I bought the Diesel partly for the transmission but with a computer shifting it with actuators and whatever else makes it shift it may not be better than an automatic from a minivan that is more common than dirt. At least the auto can be rebuilt by many shops. Why has yours failed is the question. As soon as your battle with FCA is over and it fails again (G0D forbid) I would get it pulled and go to a reputable rebuilder as a core and get a different rebuilt! Feel for Ya.

·
Registered
129 Posts
There are positives with the diesel option too. No propane, solar panels or generator required. I would be using the engine to power an induction cooktop, heating, cooling and charging the aux. batteries intermittently. I was told by a friend who owns a TDI that "you got to drive a diesel like you stole it once awhile to get rid of the carbon built up".

[/QUOTE]

If you think you will be able to idle a newer diesel for longer than 15 minutes you may be in for a surprise. It takes hours of driving like you stole it to remove deposits from just idling 1/2 hr. I have a diesel and the truck was left idling for 2 hrs for a software update, it took almost 300 miles to run without the egr sticking. Also long idle times clog up the DPF which at over $3k to replace changed my mind.

·
Premium Member
8,828 Posts
Good caution bkhi. I do not idle my diesel but we had a poster here, Adrian who idled his ’14 Promaster diesel overnight many times while motorcycle racing with his son. He did not experience that issue. Was yours the I4 in the Promaster? I see Ford is (or has) instituted an option for manually inducing a regen while idling. They may be on to something. I wish mine would signal when a regen happens as unless I come to a stoplight and hear the extra fans on I cannot tell. However 23000 miles and perfect emissions systems on a modern diesel is the norm for this engine so perhaps I should not nit-pick. It is obvious FCA got this one right.

On thread now.... I also shift my transmission into N when I come to a stop and can see it will be more than 20 seconds or so. It’s a habit from doing the same thing with my clutch on vehicles for 50 years. Except for an Explorer, I never replaced a clutch (that was the slave cyl.) although I replaced plenty for family and friends!

·
Registered
3 Posts
i wont bs this will be my only post and i am here to vent/rant
i signed up and reopened this topic because it popped up when i googled promaster ring gear problems. my 2014 3.6 now has had the tranny done 4 times and this last time we had to fight for warranty because it was over 100000 km by 10000km. it was approved because the ring gear was done 5 months ago . i wont even begin to talk about the rest of the problems this thing has had

over 37 days down time with this van

1 - 15 of 15 Posts