Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having not traveled the byways and highways of the USA I was wondering how difficult it is having my 30# propane tank filled rather than an "exchange". I purchased a $70 tank and do not want to exchange for possibly a tank that may not be up to "standards". thanking you in advance!

·
Registered
605 Posts
In Canada at least, Costco started charging for the actual value of the fill (per litre or lb in the US I assume). Most other sellers in my Province “BC“ charge $15 to $25 to fill a 20lb tank that if very empty costs $7.50 @ Costco

I have no experience buying propane in the USA, but assume Costco‘s selling policy is similar?

I also buy my tanks @ Costco

·
Super Moderator
7,146 Posts
Don’t know about Costco propane as I’ve never got it the but BJ’s (local East Coast Costco/Sam’s wannabe) does it both was at times. For years a fill was $11.50 no matter how empty but I just realized a few are now selling by the gallon. Tractor Supply (in the US) always sells by the gallon other places vary but unless you’re empty by the gallon is usually the best deal.
I’ve noticed that Costco in PQ sells a fill for $C7.50 which is a steal at $5.60 US!

·
Registered
543 Posts
KOA's now require that u have an OPD (overfilling protection device) on ur cylinder....not sure about pricing but if it's like ice it will vary greatly

Koa are plentiful....pick up catalogue at any check-in office

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
605 Posts
Don’t know about Costco propane as I’ve never got it the but BJ’s (local East Coast Costco/Sam’s wannabe) does it both was at times. For years a fill was $11.50 no matter how empty but I just realized a few are now selling by the gallon. Tractor Supply (in the US) always sells by the gallon other places vary but unless you’re empty by the gallon is usually the best deal.
I’ve noticed that Costco in PQ sells a fill for $C7.50 which is a steal at $5.60 US!
Hey KOV

We get ripped-off in BC at least when buying propane, other than Costco just recently

Costco use to charge $12.50 to fill a 20lb tank “ flat rate - did not matter how full or empty it was”

Recently they changed that “fee” to just pay for the propane. In Canadian funds, propane @ the gas stations is around $0.83 per litre ... blaa blaa blaa about $7.50 for 20lbs

Now Costco actually sells it for that. I filled two partially used 20lb tanks on Friday & it was $2.80 for one tank & $5.60 for the other 😳😳. Finally I am getting what I am paying for. All amounts above CAN dollars

Maybe the days of the “tank filling fee” is over. I know “they” have to fill the tank & there is additional labour cost, however you cant pump your own gas in Oregon & if you go in to top off your tank they dont charge you $100 for $30 of gasoline

·
Registered
735 Posts
Having not traveled the byways and highways of the USA I was wondering how difficult it is having my 30# propane tank filled rather than an "exchange". I purchased a $70 tank and do not want to exchange for possibly a tank that may not be up to "standards". thanking you in advance!
We have 2 horizontal tanks for a large grill at work. We also have a few tanks that are similar to a 20# tank, but are specially designed for the floor buffers.
None of these tanks can be exchanged and have to be filled.
I know that we used to take them to the uhaul truck rental to get them filled. I'm assuming the maint staff is still taking them there.
I would look into whether or not propane filling is a common service with uhaul, since they have locations everywhere.
Probably easier to find than welding gas and propane suppliers, most of which are propaply closed on Sundays and early on Saturday. They usually are in my area.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Hi,
Do you really mean a 30 lb tank, and not a 20 lb tank?

You can exchange 20 lb tanks just about everywhere in just a couple minutes. I don't think that the vast majority of exchange places have 30 lb tanks at all?

If you want the convenience of a quick exchange vs the (sometimes) long wait for someone to refill your tank, then I'd consider going with the more available 20 lb tank.

Gary

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
There are thousands of travel trailer with 30 lbs tanks and a thousand places you can fill at.
I'm sure you will have to remove it to fill, something like 54 lbs full.

Just don't expect to refill in the middle of nowhere.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Hi,
Do you really mean a 30 lb tank, and not a 20 lb tank?

You can exchange 20 lb tanks just about everywhere in just a couple minutes. I don't think that the vast majority of exchange places have 30 lb tanks at all?

If you want the convenience of a quick exchange vs the (sometimes) long wait for someone to refill your tank, then I'd consider going with the more available 20 lb tank.

Gary
Hey Gary most of the exchange tanks are actually only 15# tanks and not 20#. At least out here on the west coast. Take a look at the numbers on the side of a Blue Rhino bottle. What? Yea blew me away the first time I noticed it at a Home Depot in SoCal.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Hey Gary most of the exchange tanks are actually only 15# tanks and not 20#. At least out here on the west coast. Take a look at the numbers on the side of a Blue Rhino bottle. What? Yea blew me away the first time I noticed it at a Home Depot in SoCal.
Hi,
True for sure with the Rhino refill places, which are the most common ones.

I've found a local place here (Madison River Propane) that operates tank trade places at some of our local gas stations, and they do full 20 lb refills. So, I use them when I can.

Boggles my mind why Rhino only fills the tanks 3/4 full.

Gary

·
Registered
735 Posts
That's because they already know everything.
My daughter has been cutting me off with "I know, dad" since she was 4.
I brush my hands and say, my job is done here. My kids already k ow everything.
I used to know everything too.
I must've forgotten it all.

·
Premium Member
7,370 Posts
OK Boomer

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thanks for all of the replies, including the funny one! (who's boomer?) I went to Lowe's today to buy the 30# tank (Worthington, $71.99) and they were sold out. I wanted the 30 for more boon docking time with a 5# as a spare. thought buying a quality tank versus "swapped" I would feel safer with having a tank onboard. I'm thinking most any town has a fill up station. with the back up tank I estimate I have at least 3 weeks of gas....that should do..I am in Kennesaw ga and a local "landscaping" place fills tanks. I'll order the 30# tonight. :cool:

·
Premium Member
7,370 Posts
OK Boomer? That is a response the millennial and youngsters say when they get comments like RnR made. It isn’t political nor religious per se so I used it. It is dismissive of baby boomers who they hold responsible for their predicament as they look at the World.
We used to say “Never trust anyone over 30” Remember?

I too appreciate the “Stay on topic” KOV brings. If I erred I bad!

1 - 20 of 70 Posts