Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
This is my first purchased, and I will like your suggestions.
I'm the market for a used Promaster 136" High Roof.
Do the limited used, maybe 3, 4 times a month and all local small delivery, Chicago area, I don't want to put so much money.
So I'm looking in the midwest to find a good use.
What are your suggestion before buy. Of course low mileage and newest is a good factor.
But what else to look.

For examples some of the protester on Carfax show:
Federal Emissions: REPROGRAM PCM - 50-STATE PERMANENT FAULT CODE
and after that are for sale.. what is that?

Also another Promaster with around 100k (one owner) I can ear the valves noise...
I know that I cannot find a perfect well maintained used Promaster, but what I can expect??

Thanks in advance.
James.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
For examples some of the protester on Carfax show:
Federal Emissions: REPROGRAM PCM - 50-STATE PERMANENT FAULT CODE
and after that are for sale.. what is that?
I'm assuming you are talking about an open campaign?
anyway use this site to check the vin, https://www.mopar.com/en-us/my-vehicle/recalls/search.html

IMO
Get the newest, lowest miles at your price point.
Skip the diesel.
If you buy any high mileage vehicle, factor in replacement cost for - engine, trans, steering gear, struts/shocks, brakes/rotors/bearings.
A $9k van might not be a good buy if something goes wrong 3 months after you buy it.

Again it's just my opinion.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Many people say skip the diesel... I love ours! I seriously average around 27 mpg and the great thing is, I didn't pay for it!
I bought a new 2015 in 2017. Paid $30k for a (technically) brand new $45k unit. Buying used, you may find that you can get a diesel for practically the same price a gas (hog) model.
Oh, but the maintenance is so costly! Really? An oil change every 18,500 miles? Plus a decent diesel will give many times more miles than a gasser. Or so I've heard.

Maybe later, if I have issues, I might change my tune, but for now, loving my diesel!

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
His use doesn't warrant a diesel.

IMO
A diesel not covered by a warranty is a risky purchase.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks both.
I will skip the Diesel for 2 reason.
The Promaster will sit mostly on a parking lot in chicago, so I will not want any surprise in the winter, then I will really do little miles around Chicago area, so fuel $$ is not really a issue.

@phil I went to see one PM and has the engine light on.. they say they going to fix. But also several PM when I Was looking the Carfax was showing the same "REPROGRAM PCM - 50-STATE PERMANENT FAULT CODE" so not really sure if is a problem.

For example my friend has a Jeep GrandCherokee Diesel that, when the engine light go on.. the car will not start and looks like Jeep cannot find a way to fix.... they might buy back from him.
So not sure if a similar case and will not pass emission test.
I hope is not an issue.. Really set to buy a Ram ProMaster.. or Ducato like they see in Italy.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
I went to see one PM and has the engine light on.. they say they going to fix. But also several PM when I Was looking the Carfax was showing the same "REPROGRAM PCM - 50-STATE PERMANENT FAULT CODE" so not really sure if is a problem.
If you put the VIN of the van you are looking at in this website you can look for recalls/campaign, the Reprogram PCM started in July 2019(I think), doesn't effect safety so its not a recall if I remember correctly.

I just ran my VIN(no issues) and my used van has not been to the dealer since I bought it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just put a deposit on a 2018 with 72k. Tuesday I will go and see in person (it's out of state).
The only concern on this photo, how can be too wear like that.
Maybe was a little accident and they fix.. then the bondo was not done right and just wear away..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts