Ram Promaster Forum banner

on-board Generator

9K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  pterodactylptro 
#1 ·
Hi all,

Has anyone attempted to install an on-board generator in their Promaster?
I know they usually install them under the truck, but I would rather have it
in the truck.

Can't find any pictures of an on-board in a Promaster, or any mention of it
being done... any info or pics would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Tom.

#2 ·
If in the truck is what you want, i suggest you look at the gensets on food trucks. They are custom built. I had one on a Chevy P30 step van. A shop cut a hole on the side of the van and installed a box that the generator set in. On mine the box sat on the floor and had a door made on the outside with the exhaust running through a hole in the floor. It was a small one 4000 watts and very quiet. I have seen some that the gen was mounted on wheels on a rail so it could slide out for servicing. Mine was right behind the driver seat and did not take up much room.

#3 ·
I'm curious as to why you need a generator. Is it for commercial use? Hardly necessary for camping these days with solar. I have a Honda 2000i I bought when I got my van (before I put the solar panels on) and I just threw it in the back but hardly ever used it. Now with 300 watts of solar I don't even bring it with me anymore.

#4 · (Edited)
Thanks Charity,

Yes, this is what I want to do. In my last van I installed it myself. I had a Generac unit that only required holes in the floor for all venting. I built an air-proof doghouse for it and it worked great for 12 years. The problem I'm having this time is that Generac is out of the RV business and the only on-board generator I can find is Onan, and they all need venting in the front as well as the floor... thinking it's definitely out of my skill set.

Thanks for the info.

#6 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.