Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
about to do first change at 5k - have read that we should use Pennzoil 5-20 synthetic

at walmart - there are 2 types:

5-20 full synthetic made from nat gas

5-20 ultra full synthetic

does it matter that it is made from nat gas ?

anyone know the difference between these 2 versions ?

thks

·
Registered
163 Posts
Look only to the prescribed standard:

Chrysler-Standard-Number MS 6395 or Fiat-Standard-Number 9.55535-CR1 for the 3.6L Pentastar VVT V6 Engine
;

Fiat-Standard-Number 9.55535-S1 for the 3,0L EcoDiesel

Nothing else matters

If there is not imprinted the required standard on the packaging, do not buy this oil !

·
Super Moderator
9,463 Posts
Why are you changing your oil at 5000 miles? Synthetic is good for 10000 miles. Did your change oil light come on?

Either one should be fine. Buy the cheapest one

·
Registered
887 Posts
I thought all Shell and Pennzoil synthetics were from natural gas. They claim engine runs much cleaner than petroleum based synthetic.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thks for replies

have always changed oil at 50% of manufacturer recommended (except for sprinter which cost so much) - maybe not necessary and costs a bit more but have always had long lasting vehicles. also change tires before totally worn - easier to play it safe.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Look only to the prescribed standard:

Chrysler-Standard-Number MS 6395 or Fiat-Standard-Number 9.55535-CR1 for the 3.6L Pentastar VVT V6 Engine
;

Fiat-Standard-Number 9.55535-S1 for the 3,0L EcoDiesel

Nothing else matters

If there is not imprinted the required standard on the packaging, do not buy this oil !
What he said

·
Registered
473 Posts
Why would they pay for the endorsement for their other oils and not the Mobil 1? Doesn't make sense to me...where's your bridge and what's your reason for selling? ��

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
As i understand it, ALL synthetic oils are made from natural gas. what else would they be synthesized from?

The difference between the silver platinum and the black bottle ultra is something i would really love to know. Walmart seems to be perpetually out of the platinum in 5w20. The ultra meets the spec so im sure its fine, and it costs maybe $1 more. The cynic in me thinks its the same product in a different bottle.

We've talked about oil change interval ad nauseum. I maintain that going past 6000 miles is a recipe for disaster, and a false economy. But do as you will.

·
Premium Member
8,777 Posts
I think we are being unduly influenced by those who have the most to gain from frequent oil changes and our own history of service, and our parents too! Dad changed his at 3,000 miles. I would love to use the PM diesel's service computer to decide on my oil changes but being from the "5,000 miles is safe" group I wonder if I could wait 18,000 miles which the normal duty diesel computer will produce for an interval? 18,000 is a lot of miles when many are saying 5-6K miles! That's three times as far! Who is right and what's the data? I know you have an opinion, we all do but who has researched this? For FCA? For us? Help we need data, facts, research!

for a start: http://www.edmunds.com/car-care/stop-changing-your-oil.html

·
Registered
73 Posts
While not in a ProMaster, I researched my oil change interval in my Sprinter back in 2005. After a few oil analyses I decided that 15000 miles was the sweet spot, even though the oil was still not completely spent. 700k later and all is still good.

I would not have any problem changing the oil at 18k in a diesel ProMaster. But for my peace of mind I would still do a couple of oil analyses.

·
Registered
163 Posts
The ProMaster-Diesel has in Europe a service-interval of 30,000 miles (48,000 Kilometer) or every 2 years, whichever is the sooner.

This high service interval is appropriate for Europe.

For U.S.A. and Canada is the oil change interval is too large for a diesel engine with particulate filter.
Because of the speed limits on the roads the exhaust gases remain too cold.
The regular regeneration of the particulate filter needs very high exhaust gas temperatures.
In order to reach these high temperatures is additionally injected Diesel and DEF.
This may lead to engine oil dilution.
Therefore, the engine oil should be changed more often in U.S.A. and Canada.

By the way, I´m a motor-vehicle-mechanic-master with 35 years experience. ;-)

·
Premium Member
8,777 Posts
Wow! I am thinking I will consider the origional oil "break in" oil and change it at 5,000 miles as I believe initial wear-in produces undesirable flushing of particulates and chemicials. Then do a 10,000 mile change with analysis then a 15,000 change with analysis. If that seems good I'm willing to stick to that. It turns out if I buy my own oil, and a Wix filter it will be no more expensive to change the oil in the Van than it is in my F150!
Van- 9 qts of Oil-Pennzoil Ultra Euro L 5W-30 Full Syn $6/qt and Wix WL10058 or Baldwin B7388 $15= $70/15,000 mi
F150- 6 qts Valvoine Dino oil- high mileage @3/qt and Wix filter $8 = $26/5,000mi Basically the same price! Who Knew?

·
Registered
163 Posts
When the oil is changed too early, it is also not good.
The solid oil components, which are be used for emergency running properties, can not be deposited at the piston-cylinder .

One should wait until the service interval indicator shows the oil change.

And definitely use the prescribed oil !

·
Registered
338 Posts
You will never have a oil related failure even using the cheapest API approved oil including the Walmart Supratech or whatever it is called. Having said that, I change mine @ 5K its easy/cheap insurance and it gets African hot here in Texas. Just buy what is cheapest/ on sale dump it in and haul ass!

·
Registered
163 Posts
What is more economical?
Buy the cheapest oil and change every 5,000 miles,
or buy the prescribed oil and change at prescribed intervals (about every 18,000 Miles)

Remember: Europe every 30,000 Miles ;-)
...and also think about the warranty...

One could sometimes think about a particular chip tuning.
It would be advantageous if the recirculation rate of the exhaust gases would be minimized.
For this purpose, the characteristics of the EGR-valve and the throttle-valve must be "adjusted" in the engine-control-unit.
In Germany there is only one tuner that makes good: www.tec-power.de

By the way, there are also special parts: www.ragazzon.com/usa/ragazzon-catalogue.php?cst=2&mdl=193&cld=591
This dealer sale Ragazzon-Exhausts: http://shop.500madness.com/index.php?route=product/manufacturer&manufacturer_id=109

·
Registered
338 Posts
What is more economical?
Buy the cheapest oil and change every 5,000 miles,
or buy the prescribed oil and change at prescribed intervals (about every 18,000 Miles)

Remember: Europe every 30,000 Miles ;-)
...and also think about the warranty...

One could sometimes think about a particular chip tuning.
It would be advantageous if the recirculation rate of the exhaust gases would be minimized.
For this purpose, the characteristics of the EGR-valve and the throttle-valve must be "adjusted" in the engine-control-unit.
In Germany there is only one tuner that makes good: www.tec-power.de

By the way, there are also special parts: www.ragazzon.com/usa/ragazzon-catalogue.php?cst=2&mdl=193&cld=591
This dealer sale Ragazzon-Exhausts: http://shop.500madness.com/index.php?route=product/manufacturer&manufacturer_id=109
You must be referring to the diesel engine I am referencing the gas engine for OCI's. Is it cheaper to replace/damage an engine or just change the oil prior to its limits to protect? Like I said before it's cheap insurance and easy to do using the cheapest oil as opposed to the most expensive is not even measurable when comes to protecting and engines internals.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts