Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
970 Posts
Penzoil platinum full synthetic 5w-20. Meets chrysler MS-6395. It is the oil the engine came new with (though new they may use break in additives). $26 at walmart, $36 at autozone.

Since im a big proponent of one oil for the life of the vehicle, i researched this pretty hard. Other oils are probably/possibly better. Mobil 1 is $35 but doesnt meet the ms spec. I should say it almost certainly meets the spec, but fca wont approve it for the spec for one reason or another. Its hearsay, but i believe oil companies have to pay a royalty to the oems to claim they meet the spec.

My other choice was royal purple, which does meet the spec but is $50. Since i do an oil change every two weeks, i decided to cheap out. All my passcars get royal purple.

From what i can tell, you are really asking for trouble if you use anything but 5w-20. The cam timing runs on oil after all.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Sanity check: I have a few quarts of Castrol Edge 5W-30 and a 5-quart jug of Castrol Edge 5W-20. I've read varying opinions of mixing oils but honestly not interested in researching that deeply. Since the gasser takes 6 quarts I plan to top it with a quart of what I have lying around after emptying the 5-quart container of the 5W-20 (both containers say they meet MS-6395). This shouldn't be the end of the world for my engine (used mainly in Oregon and California, ambient temps generally up to 105F and down to 40F, no towing or particularly hard driving), correct?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts