Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Admin says to post here to be allowed to post elsewhere. My issue fits under warranty and service issues so I'll detail it there if I'm now allowed. Makes no sense to duplicate the issue here, but in case I still can't post there, my check engine light (Promaster 3.6, 2014) is on. I've searched the forum and found a few comments on the issue but am wondering if anyone else had the issue. I understand it's not covered under the power train warranty (which is the only one my van is still under), so am wondering how major a job is, as I'll likely have my mechanic, not a Dodge/Ram dealer, do the fix.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Can't tel you exactly how big of a job it is, but I just had mine replaced by the dealer and the cost was 350 and took about 3 hours.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'd argue or go to another dealer or escalate. Seems reasonable to me that an oil sensor is part of the powertrain warranty.

I don't know specifically about I assume is your Pentastar but other vehicles I've worked on, an oil sensor is not a big deal. Drain oil. Remove sensor. Unplug cable. Install new sensor and gasket, usually on the oil pan. Refill oil. Done Definitely have your own mechanic do it if dealer won't do it under warranty.

·
Registered
538 Posts
My sensor went bad after about 6 months. Dealer replaced it in about 3 hours under warranty. No issues in more than a year since then.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd argue or go to another dealer or escalate. Seems reasonable to me that an oil sensor is part of the powertrain warranty.

I don't know specifically about I assume is your Pentastar but other vehicles I've worked on, an oil sensor is not a big deal. Drain oil. Remove sensor. Unplug cable. Install new sensor and gasket, usually on the oil pan. Refill oil. Done Definitely have your own mechanic do it if dealer won't do it under warranty.
Thank you for your comments. They're interesting in that I found a site that says the code can mean the sensor is bad, a wire is loose/broken (a good possibility where I live--mice, rabbits, packrats...), or dirty oil can cause the problem. My oil change light hasn't come on but I'm planning to do an oil change this weekend as I'm due pretty soon--and I hope that solves the problem (even though a dealer told me the oil couldn't be causing the code). That said, if the mechanic's going to have to totally drain the oil, I really don't want the sensor replaced right after I do an oil change, hmmm...

Also I did talk to another dealer who said they can't say if it's under the power warranty or not until I pay them to look at it. Which at dealer rates, kind of makes it not worth it relative to just paying my non-dealer mechanic.

That said, I'd like more information from you on finding the sensor. Why does the oil need to be drained before finding and removing the sensor? How is it attached--bolted on? You said to "Remove sensor. Unplug cable." Are both going to be visible if I crawl under the vehicle? I'd certainly like to at least check for rodent damage before heading to a dealer, and if there is none, if I can replace the sensor simply, I'll happily do so. But I'm particularly curious why the oil has to be drained before removing the sensor (does it go in a hole in the oil pan perhaps, so oil would drip out if the pan's not empty?) and how to find it/what it looks like.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

I'd really like a description or photo of the oil sensor--what it looks like, where it's attached. I assume the oil needs to be drained because it goes somewhere where oil is and it will spill out if the sensor's not there? Where is it. I did an oil change yesterday and didn't see anything connected to the oil pan but I didn't know what I was looking for and where.

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
4,593 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
google images & videos, 3.6l pentastar oil pressure sensor location.
I was wrong. I wasn't willing to google pentastar sensor location for you and was just going by sensor location on my other cars which is bottom of the oil pan.

Other forums using the pentastar (i.e. any Chrysler car forum) has instructions. This one is a pain and several hours sounds reasonable. Especially in PM's where top access looks darn difficult and tight through the hood. Intake manifold has to come off. The sensor is accessed from the top as part of the filter/cooler assembly in the Youtube video phil linked to.

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f202/oil-pressure-sensor-bad-out-of-warranty-1745762.html

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
In case anyone is interested, a dealer told me it's only covered under the bumper-to-bumper warranty, not the power train warranty, as it's considered an electrical part. Another had told me it's not under the power train warranty but hadn't told me why. (I'm only still under the PT warranty, which is why I was hoping...)

·
Premium Member
8,838 Posts
If motorcitymechanic.com youtube procedure works this is a very inexpensive job. DIY for many. Buy the socket if you must or borrow it from the parts store. Mine does tool loans. I have a mirror in my toolbox for the use.

Many times I have heard the powertrain warranty covers any component that comes in contact with lubricants. This one does.

I’d have a calm and firm discussion with the shop supervisor. I might go to the general manager then if its the dealer I bought from. I’d then call customer assistance at FCA. (866-726-4636) My one call to them was very helpful. Remember if you yell or threaten no progress will be made. Be respectful, be firm, be pleasant, go up the chain. Next time they are much more likely to remember you as a reasonable person an not an ***hole. Nobody wants anything to do with one of those.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts