Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
No one has responded to this apparently, I was looking for the same thing. I had found a video where a tech replaced the oil cooler unit which includes the oil sensor and oil filter mount which seemed to apply to my 1500. The tech had to remove two manifolds from the top of the engine to get to this unit and he pointed to the sensor unit when he got to that level. It was a three part u-tube video but I don't have the link. Looks like a real pain to get to. There is a TSB 18-034014 Rev A issued July 15, 2014 that seems to apply but I don't know how to find the manual that explains the procedure. I hope someone will respond to this post.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Tried to post something earlier and it doesn't seem to have worked so here is a repeat more or less. I am looking for the same information, my 2014 PM1500 has P0520 and P06DE DTC codes which appear to be a faulty oil pressure sensor. At one point I had found a u-tube video from a Dodge tech that showed how he replaced the oil cooler unit which also has the oil filter mount and oil sensor switch included with it for 3.6L Penstar engine for a Jeep Wrangler which appeared to be similar. The tech had to remove two manifolds and a bunch of wiring harness connections to get to the part which had a leaky gasket I think. Once the two manifolds were off the unit was visible and he pointed out the sensor since it has a known trouble history apparently. It was a three part video but he didn't reassemble the unit so I am not sure if there were gaskets for the manifolds he removed or not, seems likely however.

I also found a TSB for P0520 Engine Oil Pressure Sensor Circuit 18-034-14 Rev.A, date of issue July 15, 2014 that seems to apply. Unfortunately I don't know how to get the manual that it refers to for guidance on the procedure. I hope someone with actual knowledge will reply to this thread.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Tried to post something earlier and it doesn't seem to have worked so here is a repeat more or less. I am looking for the same information, my 2014 PM1500 has P0520 and P06DE DTC codes which appear to be a faulty oil pressure sensor. At one point I had found a u-tube video from a Dodge tech that showed how he replaced the oil cooler unit which also has the oil filter mount and oil sensor switch included with it for 3.6L Penstar engine for a Jeep Wrangler which appeared to be similar. The tech had to remove two manifolds and a bunch of wiring harness connections to get to the part which had a leaky gasket I think. Once the two manifolds were off the unit was visible and he pointed out the sensor since it has a known trouble history apparently. It was a three part video but he didn't reassemble the unit so I am not sure if there were gaskets for the manifolds he removed or not, seems likely however.

I also found a TSB for P0520 Engine Oil Pressure Sensor Circuit 18-034-14 Rev.A, date of issue July 15, 2014 that seems to apply. Unfortunately I don't know how to get the manual that it refers to for guidance on the procedure. I hope someone with actual knowledge will reply to this thread.

·
Registered
108 Posts
We have had the P0520 code come up on ours now as well, with just under 10K miles.
The dealer rep has told me he thinks its about a 2 hour change, which is significant since we have to drive 3 hrs to get to our nearest warranty capable dealer. We also have some other minor warranty issues to deal with.

Here's my question, can anyone tell me if they've found a place to install a good OLD FASHIONED MECHANICAL oil pressure sending unit into the 3.6 gas engine? The dealer is thinking about the same question.

Also, in regards to my previous inquiries about an "induction" type sending unit for transmission oil temperature, I'm wondering, since I'm now considering a manual mechanical oil pressure gauge, if anyone has any information of a "induction" type of sending unit that could be attached to the exterior of an outgoing line from the transmission to the oil cooler? If I'm going to install one manual gauge, I might as well consider installing two. The pickup to attach to the surface of a metal cooling line would be the key.

In this way, I couldn't fault the computer by tapping any electrical OEM sending units, messing with them that might mess with the computer.

I understand from the dealer rep that this sensor isn't uncommon, on many models. On some he said it's a very quick replacement, but under the plenum on the Promaster, as a previous poster noted. I'm wondering from others, just how common IS this damned sending unit that Ram hasn't found a better supplier, for heaven's sake?

Any thoughts are appreciated, thank you in advance.

·
Registered
538 Posts
When mine got changed last winter they dealer said it was atop the engine under the cover. A few hours labor to replace. They had it done in a few hours for me. No issues since then.

·
Registered
2014 Ram Promaster 2500 159" diesel
1,480 Posts
Oil sensors temp and pressure are located on the oil filter/oil cooler housing. The sensors would be right of the oil filter. You need to remove the lower and upper intake manifolds to replace the sensors.

·
Registered
108 Posts
The mechanic in Wheatland WY had our oil pressure sensor, and two other smaller warranty repaired in just under 4 hours. I learned a few things.
We had tried to consider, in another post/string, a manual oil pressure guage. He couldn't find another location to tap, and there may not be "height" enough to allow a person to put a secondary "tap off" below the factory sending unit for a manual guage. So, we're stuck with the computer, and the "problematic" OEM sending unit that seems to have a history of problems, on many models of Ram/Dodge vehicles; in other words, the sensor is common, and it's known for failure. On many models, it's literally a 10 minute change, but not on a Promaster. In any case the mechanic @ Bob Ruwart motors, and the SVC manager, are very nice gentleman to work with.

So, we're back to the folks at Scan Guage, who I've just emailed again. I can say now that Snap On mechanic's scanning equipment can read both Oil Pressure and Trans temp, and communicated such to Mr. Delong. Hopefully, it's helpful.

One other thing, if you have more than size 4 feet, plan on moving the OBD2 plug in location, or it's likely to get damaged by your feet, because they obviously weren't thinking of someone having something plugged in on any permanent basis. Fortunately, there's room to do so easily as near as I can tell.

HTH

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have same problem. I bought the sensor but can't find it.
Oil sensors temp and pressure are located on the oil filter/oil cooler housing. The sensors would be right of the oil filter. You need to remove the lower and upper intake manifolds to replace the sensors.
I take down all air housing and top cover so I can access oil filter but can't find it. Can anybody PLEASE get detail description or location, picture of video where it exactly the sensor.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts