Ram Promaster Forum banner

Oil Pressure sensor fault Immediately after oil change P006DD

7K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  keeponvaning 
#1 ·
Hello all
Long time listener, first-time poster. After finally getting around to changing my oil (I went with full synthetic 5w20), my 2018 2500 Promaster (Pentastar 3.6) decided to throw on the warming glow of an engine light. After getting out my code reader, it was showing a P006DD code even after I cleared it (which the interweb informs me is a faulty oil sensor). according to my dipstick, my oil level is at the higher end but not ridiculously high ( I added approximately 5.5 Quarts). I also replaced the oil filter and made sure to spread some oil on the o-ring. Suspect, I may have accidentally knocked a connection loose or overtightened the O-ring and a replacement is not necessary as it seems too convenient right after an oil change. Any ideas out there?

#2 ·
Hi,
The oil pressure sensors on the ProMasters are known for giving out early. Mine went out at around 30K miles. Mine behaved a bit erratically at first, and seemed to be related to an oil change I did, but in the end it was just a bad sensor. Of course, your experience may be different.

The sensor is only a $30 part, but lots of labor to get to it. I decided it was more than I wanted to tackle myself and I think I paid about $300 to have it done.

Gary

#3 ·
Mine went out in the first year. It is a part that frequently fails and even new parts can be defective. Dealer changed mine in 2 hours or so under warranty. I must have got a good one as its been fine for four years since then.

Reactions: TrJ07
#4 · (Edited)
I had the same code for a long time, and it only happens on cold morning. If I let my engine completely warm up, I will not get the code. I did change the pressure sensor due to leaky oil cooler and that didn't solve the issue. At least with my issue, is probably the oil pump solenoid inside the oil pump. I can see with my scanner, once the oil temp get past 31- 34 degree I will not get the code.
Also you can't erase engine code, you have to let the computer erase it. Your engine light will turn off once the computer don't see the error code after 3-4 warm up cycle. Usually i will warm up the engine completely before I drive, after 3-4 warm up cycles, the computer will turn off the engine light.

Reactions: TrJ07
#5 ·
This is a common problem. Since you change your own oil, make sure you are using the correct original equipment filter. Lots of error code issues via the filter. The pressure / temp sensor (beneath the intake manifold), might need to be changed. I am currently waiting for a new electronic warning system box to try solving the same problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.