Ram Promaster Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a check engine light on and was told at O"reilys that it was the oil pressure sensor. The first mechanic I talked to about cost to repair said that he also wanted to replace the oil cooler because they were prone to leaking. Total cost $700 (oil cooler part was $450). Would like to hear from others about the reasonableness of this. Thanks for any input.

·
Premium Member
2014, 138WB, High Roof, Gas, SW MT
2,467 Posts
Hi,
Our oil pressure sensor failed at about 35K miles and we had it replaced. The original oil cooler is still doing OK at 105K miles. But, the oil coolers do have a reputation for failing early.

The Motor City Mechanic has some videos on both, including a new version of the oil cooler that should last longer.
@Kip-on-truckin may have an opinion.

Gary

·
Registered
109 Posts
The oil cooler leak is a common problem with the 3.6L engine. I had about $600 for this job recently. Work was done at a local independent garage. I supplied the parts.

??? Unsubstantiated claim...Maybe someone else can comment on this: I was told by the service manager that some mechanics had managed to make a long tool and were able to reach under the intake manifold and change the oil and/or water temp sender without removing the intake manifold.

Oil Filter Housing Leak - pending repair

--KenA

·
Registered
171 Posts
Had the oil cooler leak also and dealer wanted $1300 to replace. Only 32K miles but FCA kicked in all but $200 for repair. Not sure if bolts were replaced during repair.

·
Super Moderator
2018 136" HR
646 Posts
Def get the aftermarket metal version of the oil cooler( I think made by dorman) instead oem plastic version. Also I will find out what is the engine code, I wouldn't trust the diagnosis from just the O'Reilly person. It will suck if you pay $700 and it was misdiagnosed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the replies so far. I will probably have it checked out before getting it repaired. We have a lot to do this week with Thanksgiving and the light came on after picking it up from some paint repair. We don't have plans for the van until after Christmas so I have so time to get it checked out.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Def get the aftermarket metal version of the oil cooler( I think made by dorman) instead oem plastic version. Also I will find out what is the engine code, I wouldn't trust the diagnosis from just the O'Reilly person. It will suck if you pay $700 and it was misdiagnosed.
I have one of the Dormans waiting for me to either (A) get the courage to wrench it myself or (B) suck it up an get an indy shop to install it. It's a really nice hunk of aluminum -- much more inspiring than the fantastic-plastic-oem.

(Not to derail, but if there's anyone that's done this work themselves -- were there any really rough bits? I've watched the video by TDR Auto, and it looks straightforward.)

·
Administrator
11,542 Posts
RD & I replaced the sensor on my ‘14. It’s a real pita but certainly doable for anyone who has the time. Actually, RD did most of the hard work I just tore everything apart and put it back together afterwards.
If I were to do it again I would have bought the new metal cooler filter at the same time the sensor screws into.

·
Registered
Van #2 2021 EXT
3,596 Posts
RD & I replaced the sensor on my ‘14. It’s a real pita but certainly doable for anyone who has the time. Actually, RD did most of the hard work I just tore everything apart and put it back together afterwards.
If I were to do it again I would have bought the new metal cooler filter at the same time the sensor screws into.
Now I don’t watch too much Youtubes & I have never “subscribed” to anything (Like Kramer, I don’t even know what that means).

But reading this I thought to myself ,,, If KOV & RD did Youtube I would definitely “Subscribe to that Channel” 😁

Thanks for the tip on the aftermarket part 👍

·
Administrator
11,542 Posts
Actually, RD made a uTube a few years back of driving his Promaster into his barn with me on a ladder shouting directions. Perhaps he’ll post it again?

Reactions: RV8R

·
Registered
10 Posts
Had the oil cooler leak also and dealer wanted $1300 to replace. Only 32K miles but FCA kicked in all but $200 for repair. Not sure if bolts were replaced during repair.
If your van only had 32,000 miles on it, why was it not covered fully by the Manfacturer's Warranty?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts