Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oil puddling on top of tranny; think it might be an intake gasket? Anyone else have this on a 3.9 gas engine?

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have a 2014 2500 Promaster. It now has 22,000 miles. I've changed oil in it since new and began using full synthetic 5W/20 in it at 5000 miles. I had an oil leak, beginning approximately 500 miles after the last oil change. I was about 600 miles from home. The only way I discovered it was that the check engine light came on, and I was able to pull over perhaps 20 miles later. I checked the oil and found almost nothing on the dip stick! I checked the engine compartment and saw no leaks at the oil filter, but did find oil puddling on top of what appears to be the transmission case on the right side of the engine. I called the nearest Ram dealership, about 60 miles from me, and was told by the service manager that "we do work on the Promaster, but we don't do warranty work." I was directed to a dealership in Tallahassee, Florida and was told that they could possibly get to me in about a week. I put two quarts of 10W/30 in the engine, oil that I bought from a passing motorist, and decided to limp home by buying extra oil and checking every so many miles. I bought 3 gallons of 5W/20 synthetic at a Walmart and drove all night home. When I got home, I had used almost all three gallons. I took it to my local dealership the next morning and was told they would get to it as soon as possible. They called me the next afternoon. Their technician said the oil leak was from the oil filter! I said that's not possible, I saw no leak from there, but he explained that it ran out of the bottom and then underneath the engine, coming out on the right side where I could see it. He said I put the "O" ring in wrong when I changed the filter. At first, I could not believe him. However, he was right!. I must have made the serious mistake of not putting the "O" ring properly on the cap that goes over the filter and seals the container where the filter is housed. I made the mistake, even though I've changed oil successfully four different times. I only report this so that all others who change their own oil will be sure to place the "O" ring in the groove that's made for it. Be sure to notice where the "O" ring is on the cap when you remove it next time you are changing the oil filter. Komac

·
Registered
520 Posts
It's a common problem with the pentastar. Oil filter adaptor housing under the intake manifold has a sensor bung that fails. Oil pools in between the cylinder banks then runs out onto the tranny. Happend to mine.

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
4,253 Posts

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
4,253 Posts
I think this answers my question.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Now that I've seen this video, I'm wondering whether I put the "O" ring on wrong after all. As I said earlier, I did not see any oil coming from the oil filter area. I was also fairly experienced at replacing the oil filter. I had done it four times before and never had a problem. I hate to believe my favorite dealership is lying to me. What would be the logical reason for that? This video, though, explains that the oil leak problem in the area under the intake manifold on the Pentaster engine is fairly common. My oil leak was exactly like that discussed on the video. I saw the oil puddling on the transmission housing at the right side of the engine, but no oil from the oil filter housing on the left side. I'm still going to be very careful however, to put the "O" ring in properly whenever I change the filter. Komac

·
Super Moderator
10,142 Posts
The "O" ring goes in the wide groove at the end of the threads I don’t think it will really fit anywhere else.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Be really neat of they made an all metal oil filter holder. And one that eliminated the factory oil cooler. Which allowed for the use of an external oil cooler.

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
4,253 Posts
Be really neat of they made an all metal oil filter holder. And one that eliminated the factory oil cooler. Which allowed for the use of an external oil cooler.
My thoughts exactly, I've searched high and low to see if someone made a manifold that would a allow for a remote filler, filter, cooler and sensors.
6 million Pentastars made and no aftermarket oil cooler solution, makes me think it's just an o-ring problem.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts