Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What tool are y'all using to remove the oilf filter on the gas engines? My friend owns the oil change shop and fights with it every time. Is there a tool that makes it easier without removing the air intake?
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
10,163 Posts
After 5 oil changes this is how I do it.

I found a stubby 24mm,15/16" socket at Lowe's in the discount bin for $1. It's made for one of their universal socket drivers I believe as it just has a big hole in the center. It also has a 22mm surface on the side for an open end wrench. I don't know it it is a discontinues tied or part of a broken set or available singly but it is a perfect size and fit for the Promaster gas oil filter. I've tried all kinds of stubby ratchets and open end wrench and this beats them all. Nothing to remove or disconnect!

If you have destroyed the crappy oil drain plug as I have done you can get a better one that fits perfectly from [ame]https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dautomotive&field-keywords=Dorman+090-115.1+[/ame]
for $6.50.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I bought a 15/16 in box end wrench and cut it about 4 inches from the end to make a stub wrench and it works great
Same here. Box end on 1 end and open end on the other.
Cut it in half.
Now have 2 oil filter wrenches.
Ps. Grind smooth the cut ends or youll cut your palms up.
Good luck

·
Super Moderator
10,163 Posts
My method allows a full length wrench and gives you much better leverage, especially when tightening it back up. I've tried shorty wrenches and ratchets but they just don't do the job as well.

·
Registered
2018 2500 159-HR
150 Posts
Here's the dual-sided stubby wrench I got for $11: Powerbuilt 640931 1/4" x 3/8" Drive Stubby Dual Head Ratchet Wrench - Drive Sockets - Amazon.com. Seems to be a quality little tool. I was able to use a full-size wrench to get the cap started off within the limited space, then this to speed things up. (Also got a Craftsman shallow 15/16" socket for $4). Thanks all for the helpful info in this thread!

Just did my first oil change (indicator came on ~8K miles) and found it to be the easiest I've ever done. Note that the cap needs to be tightened fairly hard to properly compress the new rubber O-ring that comes with the filter. I'm embarrassed to admit I was fearful of overtightening it and forget to double-check that as planned due to rushing out on a trip. I blew the oil out of my engine enough to throw the check engine light! (Completely coincidental to pull over next to an auto parts store and immediately realize the most likely cause... like I said, truly embarrassing rookie move, and I hope I didn't cause any incidental damage to the engine).

Oh, I should add: 2018 High Top 159 WB 2500 gas engine. (How does one create a signature?).

·
Super Moderator
10,163 Posts
Go to Aaccount Settings (top right of screen sq box with your user image in it) and choose Signature on the left side of the page.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts