Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought my van 3 weeks ago. Haven’t driven a whole lot yet but so far so good til yesterday. I noticed oil stains on the driveway. Oh god! Tried to get under but very difficult. Got my head stuck. Don’t laugh. I could see a big fat drop of oil getting ready to fall but that was the last one I guess. I don’t know if it rolled to where it was hanging from or that was the originating spot. I think not..it was some type of plastic housing. But there was evidence of oil in other places. Pretty close to the front there’s a black piece of plastic about 2 inches wide running parallel with the front grill and I guess it was about 2 feet long. Oil was all over that. Not dripping, I could just see the evidence of it and wipe it off with my fingers. Obviously I’m no mechanic. I don’t know what I was looking at under there, like I said it was very difficult. With the van being so new to me I didn’t trust jacking it up and getting under there. The dealer I bought it from is over an hour away from me. I made an appointment with my local certified Promaster service center. Can’t get in till next Wednesday. It’s just odd that I didn’t see any oil on the driveway in the three weeks that I’ve had it. Plus I went out today and drove around for half an hour and came home - no drops, no drips. Yesterday when I noticed it, I had been working in the van and had the engine running for about 15 minutes just to get it warm. It was parked on a slight backward incline in my driveway. I know this is way out there but since this is a forum I thought I’d post it and see if anybody’s had anything similar happen to them or have any ideas. The only thing I can think of is that when the dealer had the oil changed before the sale, they spilled oil and the van being on an incline with the engine running maybe it started running out of places it had been sitting since the oil change?? Hope my thoughts aren’t just wishful thinking. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,765 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
If there is a bunch of oil in between the two cylinder heads that has leaked from the adaptor/cooler it will only leak down if the van is parked at a certain angle. But don't worry it will get worse and start leaking everywhere very soon. Sorry to hear about your leak, they almost all develop the same leak.

·
Premium Member
8,771 Posts
Replace the oil fill/cooler under the intake manifold which has the bothersome oil pressure sensor too. The place you bought it from ought to do this for free as they sold you a defective van which is easily fixed by a competent mechanic but would cost you $500-$700.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Before you do anything, inspect the o-ring. Super easy to put it on wrong (like a seller would do as he does a pre-sale oil change) and it will 100% mimick a blown oil cooler. That little piece of knowledge cost me $2000 at the hands of unscrupulous dealers.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gas. I checked oil. Odd “stick”. Not like any I’ve seen on other cars I’ve owned. At any rate, it appears to register full
Before you do anything, inspect the o-ring. Super easy to put it on wrong (like a seller would do as he does a pre-sale oil change) and it will 100% mimick a blown oil cooler. That little piece of knowledge cost me $2000 at the hands of unscrupulous dealers.
Thanks. I’ll do that

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Gas. I checked oil. Odd “stick”. Not like any I’ve seen on other cars I’ve owned. At any rate, it appears to register full
Also keep checking the dipstick. If you can't find a leak and it remains full, the last person who changed the oil may have spilled a bunch on the engine.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Also keep checking the dipstick. If you can't find a leak and it remains full, the last person who changed the oil may have spilled a bunch on the engine.
Thanks . That’s what I’m hoping

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I took the van to my local Dodge dealer today to have it checked out. They said I need a new oil cooler. That’s where the oil leak is coming from. They also said my radiator is leaking. Total. $1500. Repair. $800 for the oil leak and $700 for a new radiator. The dealer offered to send me all the parts and for me to find someone to do the installations. I’ve decided to let the dealer repair the oil leak and I’ll take care of the radiator. I’ll find someone I mean. Just posting to let ya’ll know how this turned out. Overall, I’d say not good but I what can ya do.

·
Premium Member
8,771 Posts
Just remember any shop that has worked on dodge caravan, journey, town and country etc. and has changed a few of these coolers can do it, and for MUCH less thatn the dealer. If your intake bolts are rusted it may require a new top of the intake as destroying it may be the only choice even for the dealer. I’d consider getting the parts free and taking it to a local independent mechanic with a good reputation for honesty and ability.
If I had purchased this from a business and found these two things wrong I’d go back and ask them to cover the repair as they were existing problems when the purchase was made and selling something that is defective is a really bad business practice. My redress would be for them to either cover the repairs or take the van back. If they refused to do either I’d file in small claims court for the cost of the repairs and NOT let them touch my van. Good luck.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I discovered a massive oil leak on my (new to me) 2014 Promaster, and traced it to the area of the oil cooler. It's pumping out a lot of hot, frothy oil.

Is the fix here to replace the entire oil cooler? I took these pictures with a boroscope with the engine running. To the left of that sensor is a pool of fresh frothy oil.

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
Is the fix here to replace the entire oil cooler?
I've looked high and low for an aftermarket fix, no joy. The only thing to do is to replace it, it's a known issue.

·
Premium Member
1,243 Posts
Is the oil cooler a problem for only early PMs? i.e., did they remedy this problem with an update part or a better design for later model years?

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
Last check IIRC they were 6 p/n changes, doesn't neccessary mean they upgraded the part when they change p/ns, affects all years, hit and miss just like the rockers.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I discovered a massive oil leak on my (new to me) 2014 Promaster, and traced it to the area of the oil cooler. It's pumping out a lot of hot, frothy oil.

Is the fix here to replace the entire oil cooler? I took these pictures with a boroscope with the engine running. To the left of that sensor is a pool of fresh frothy oil.

View attachment 68944 View attachment 68943
I doubt it. Cost me $7oo or $800. At a Dodge dealer. I was pissed and went back to my used car salesman and got him to pay for half of it. I hadn’t had the van for a month when I discovered my leak and I bugged him. He should’ve paid for the whole thing but i’m just glad it’s fixed and I haven’t had a look any trouble with anything else since. I’ve had my van for 10 months now . Good luck.

·
Registered
13 Posts
This leak has definitely been there since the day I bought it. I should have been more attentive, but I wrote off a little oil on the bottom as as road grime. Another one of those lessons to be more patient and do more due diligence. If it weren't winter in Minnesota it wouldn't be such a big deal, but I'm going to need to find a BIG garage that I can park it in for a couple days to do this where it's not cold and wet.

Frankly I'm just glad it's the oil cooler. I had discovered a huge pool of frothy, milky brown oil under the Promaster and assumed I had coolant in my oil and much bigger problems.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
People!! As I understand it, the problem with cracked oil coolers was a 2011 thing, long remedied by the time the PM came out in 2014. You’ll note the filter for an 11-13 is different.

That’s not to say they cant crack. They can, although I personally have never seen one do so. What I have been victim of TWICE is being ripped off by the dealer. THE O-RING FOR THE FILTER CAP GOES ON THE 2nd LAND, NOT ALL THE WAY. If you push the oring down all the way, sometimes it will hold but more likely it will leak huge amounts of oil into the valley, and out by the transmission. CHECK THE ORING before assuming the cooler is cracked.

·
Registered
13 Posts
That’s not to say they cant crack. They can, although I personally have never seen one do so. What I have been victim of TWICE is being ripped off by the dealer. THE O-RING FOR THE FILTER CAP GOES ON THE 2nd LAND, NOT ALL THE WAY. If you push the oring down all the way, sometimes it will hold but more likely it will leak huge amounts of oil into the valley, and out by the transmission. CHECK THE ORING before assuming the cooler is cracked.
I checked around the filter cap rim for signs of leakage and didn't see ANY oil on that side, you can almost see it pushing out on the sensor side of the cooler. Are you saying it would it leak internal to the cooler housing if it was an o-ring issue? Otherwise I don't follow.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
No. It leaks where the filter cap is, puddling in the valley of the engine. Quick test - fold a paper towel such that you can wrap it entorely around the barrel of the filter housing. Start and run engine. Check the towel for oil.

it could be the sensor, which should in a P04D code or something like that. The sensor itself is teflon taped into the housing.

the cooler as an assembly is like $120, and the labor isnt too bad. Maybe 3 hours. Do NOT go to a dealer. No need to.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts