Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
3.6L Gas 136" HT, modest weight camper.

Manual does not give a set oil change interval--just says vehicle will tell us. At 8,000 miles, still no warning, but we had it changed anyway. Dealer set next change for 18,000 miles, and the next one at 25,000 miles (done today), and has now set the next one for 30,000 miles.

I asked the service guy why so soon. He looked up something generic online and found 4,000. I said I wasn't buying that, so he looked elsewhere and found the "vehicle will tell you" language, but no more than 10,000, with the 4,000 for harsh conditions. He told me to ignore the sticker and wait for the vehicle warning.

Not til I left, I realized the vehicle is going to warn me at 30,000 because that's what the tech programmed in.

Sooo, what's a reasonable interval for a vehicle that mostly sees long stretches of open highways?

·
Super Moderator
10,135 Posts
I don't think the tech programs anything in. Mine warns me at between 8 k - 10 k miles to change the oil based on the opaqueness of the oil (I believe). There may be other parameters but I have never heard or read of the tech doing anything it is based on the computer evaluation as far as i know,

If you use synthetic oil there is no need at all to change it before 8 k to 10 k. Mine has come on just about every 9500 miles. You reset it yourself after each oil change. Here are the instructions:

Resetting oil change light
"Your vehicle is equipped with an engine oil change 
indicator system. The “Change Engine Oil” message will
 display in the EVIC display. The engine oil change 
indicator system is duty cycle based, which means the
 engine oil change interval may fluctuate, dependent
 upon your personal driving style.
Unless reset, this message will continue to display each 
time you turn the ignition switch to the ON/RUN
position. To turn off the message temporarily, press and 
release the MODE button. To reset the oil change indicator
 system (after performing the scheduled maintenance),
refer to the following procedure.
1. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position (do not 
start the engine).
2. Fully depress the accelerator pedal slowly, three times
 within 10 seconds.
3. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF/LOCK position. 
NOTE: If the indicator message illuminates when you
 start the vehicle, the oil change indicator system did not
 reset. If necessary, repeat this procedure."

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
I believe the computer senses the "duty" cycle of the engine not any parameter of the actual oil. I reset my oil change calculator with the dash keypad when I did my first Diesel oil change at about 6,000 mi. BTW the diesel had about 16,000 miles at the beginning if the countdown and as that count may happen slower than the actual miles driven, the manual says change it at 18,500 miles at the most. 18,500! Hard to believe. MsNomer I think with today's synthetic oils and the better filters 8,000 mi. is fine.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I agree it is based on usage, not any measure of the oil itself. Many short uses and stop and go driving will call for a change sooner than long trips of assumed highway driving.

·
Registered
887 Posts
The big problem is, you can't know or tell if oil monitor was actually reset. GM cars show countdown to when it's time, so you know it's been reset when you drive off.

I just do full synthetic at 7000-7500 miles because that's what GM pickups are.

·
Super Moderator
10,135 Posts
Yes and no.

If it's not reset it will keep reminding you to change the oil until it is reset whether the oil has been changed or not. GM pickups have nothing to do with a Promaster, however, and 9000 is a much more reasonable oil change interval than 7000-07500 unless you are into a very hard duty cycle or not using synthetic.

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
I can find the countdown in the menu of the EVIC by going to the "Service" menu on my diesel but I understand that feature is not on the gasser. It confirms for me the countdown is reset, and gives some idea how long until the oil change message will occur. I wonder why it is not available on gas Promasters?

·
Super Moderator
10,135 Posts
I'm not sure but I seem to remember the oil change starts warning about 1000 miles before on my gasser. I might be having a senior moment tho!

·
Registered
810 Posts
2014 gasser and my first oil change message never came on when i chickened out and did it anyways and a self re-set.
And then I get a recall notice for a software upgrade to reconfigure the oil change interval calculations.
Got the recall done.. oil change.. and BAM, 6500 mile later.. change oil soon messages showes up on the center gauge display.
I have the cheapie radio.

·
Registered
1 Posts
All newly registered members MUST make an introductory post in the Introductory Post Forum as per forum rules. "Promasterforum.com Introduction Section " Please be aware until you do make the required introductory post any posts you make may be deleted.
I currently work on a fleet of over 25 of these vehicles. although the manufacture says it is rated for 10,000 miles on an oil change, I would never do that especially if you plan to keep it long. Yes, oil changes are expensive but, so are engines and these are known to have valve rockers that clog and destroy the cam possibly leading to other parts of the engine failing due to high metal content from the cam. I run Mobil 1 synthetic in all of them and change it every 5K. One of the other departments in another city was changing the oil at the 10k and just had the cam destroyed at 47k miles on the ODO. It is not worth it.. Change conventional and semi-synthetics at 3k and the synthetics at 5k. The oil is the lifeblood of the motor and a few hundred extra on more frequent oil changes is far better than several thousand in motor replacements or other major repairs.

·
Registered
128 Posts
For those wondering how oil change indicator works, it lights up when "oil life" parameter reaches 0%. Resetting it brings it to 100%.
Oil life is complex parameter and calculated based on many values but mainly: running hours, temperature, distance, start-stop cycles and probably many other like ignition and cylinder cycles etc.
You can monitor it using OBDII tools.

In my experience oil life varies wildly depending on conditions. I've seen it at 10% after only 5000ml and 50% after same 5000ml.

In summary, I agree with previous poster.
If you can't monitor your oil life, to play it safe, replace it as frequently as possible and no later than 5000ml.

·
Registered
2019 118" Silver
872 Posts
Oils have improved a lot since I started driving in the 60's when 3000 miles was a fairly well-accepted oil change interval. I remember the owners manual of the 1949 Ford I had years ago recommending SAE 10 weight oil (in it's flathead 6) for very cold winters and if that wasn't thin enough, thin it some more with kerosene!

For the last 20+ years, between 6000-7500 miles seems to have been a 'magic' interval for me using Castrol GTX conventional oil, with no issues in any engine, some logging over 140K miles. Since getting a 2017 Forester that came with synthetic oil I've been going 7500 miles on Pennzoil synthetic and have also been doing that with the PM since getting it new, but after this next oil change at just over 22500 miles, I'll probably reset the built-in sensor and let it notify me when the next change is due. I'll also keeping track manually just in case it fails to alert me by 9-10K miles.

To see how seriously some take motor oil check out Bob is the Oil Guy's site:

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
The manual for my 2017 gasser also says no longer than one year. I'm following that as well just in case it ever becomes a warranty issue. I keep a DIY log and receipts for the same reason. I've never had the oil change light come on, but I reset it anyway. I use full-synth.

·
Premium Member
2016 3500 ext-ht
454 Posts
I believe the computer senses the "duty" cycle of the engine not any parameter of the actual oil. I reset my oil change calculator with the dash keypad when I did my first Diesel oil change at about 6,000 mi. BTW the diesel had about 16,000 miles at the beginning if the countdown and as that count may happen slower than the actual miles driven, the manual says change it at 18,500 miles at the most. 18,500! Hard to believe. MsNomer I think with today's synthetic oils and the better filters 8,000 mi. is fine.
I can tell you that my oil analysis on every oil change tells me my oil is still good @ 6-8,000 miles and could easily be good to 10k. I do about 50/50 city and mountain driving. I use 5-20 Penzoil ultra platinum. Soon to change to 5-30 after I go through the 5-20 I have on hand.

·
Registered
2019 118" Silver
872 Posts
So I changed my oil today and although the indicator was not flashing about a needed oil change, I reset it according to the manual anyway - Key on without starting, push gas pedal to floor 3 times within 10 sec, key off. Seems that should work but does anyone know through experience if resetting it works between the automatic alerts to reset?

·
Super Moderator
10,135 Posts
Yes it does. When you reset it it starts the countdown all over again.

·
Registered
2019 118" Silver
872 Posts
Ok, great, I should be good to go then. Thanks for the verification.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts