Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How does this thing work? Can it actually sense when the oil is dirty or is it just come at set intervals (5K, 10K, 15K, etc.)?

I bought my PMC with almost 37K miles and it just turned 40K but no indicator came on. How often do you guys change your oil and what type of oil? When I was at the dealership for my door latches the guy said I need to use full synthetic but the manual just says to use Mopar SAE 0W-20 or equivalent Pennzoil or Shell Helix oil. It says "you may use synthetic oils provided the recommended oil quality requirements are met."

I looked up the CarFax report to see when the last oil change was done before I bought it and oddly it says at the bottom:

09/01/2017 38,708 San Diego Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram
San Diego, CA
619-224-4151
sunroadauto.com Oil and filter changed
Tire condition and pressure checked
Tires rotated
This was when I went in for the door latch problem but they did not do an oil change or rotate the tires. If they did they didn't charge me for it. I wish I knew how to verify this.

·
Registered
28 Posts
My understanding is that the ECM evaluates the various engine sensor data to determine (sort of) the "wear" imposed by your specific driving conditions to alert you when it's time to change oil. In your case I'd say they may have an invalid entry in CarFax since it appears they've entered a higher mileage that what you've said ("almost 37K miles" vs "38,708"). I'd pull the dipstick and wipe on white cloth to see the color of the oil there. If it's not pristine clean I'd just do an oil change so you'd have a known starting point going forward - it shouldn't hurt anything to do an early change and it shouldn't break the bank (especially if you do it yourself). Make sure the monitor is reset (if I recall offhand it's: key on, slowly press accelerator 3 times within a time frame that I think is in the owner's manual or is online here somewhere)!
In my case I recently bought my PMC with 200 miles on and I'm currently at about 1500 miles. FCA wants us to change oil annually if the mileage isn't there and this PMC initially sold End of November 2016 so I'll be doing a change soon to keep my warranty happy! I don't know when it was actually built otherwise I'd start my schedule based on that date.
As for oil type they are shipped new with full synthetic and most people I think recommend it. I stocked up on Pennzoil Platinum 0W-20 cheap from WallyWorld for a bit over $4/qt after rebate and it conforms to the specs that FCA indicates.
Good luck!

·
Registered
538 Posts
Neat. Same reset procedure as the full sized PM. 'Course, ours says to pat your head and rub your tummy while depressing the gas pedal three times...... ;-)

·
Super Moderator
10,486 Posts
The full size Promaster doesn’t give you an option when it comes on it’s time to change it. Mine typically comes on about every 10k miles and I always use full synthetic.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Mine has actually never come on. I change the oil with Valvoline synthetic every 5k miles and then reset the oil computer.

It took me all summer to put 2.5k miles on the van. I see it as changing it due to time used as well as mileage. 5k intervals are very easy to remember. And I swear this van is the easiest to do oil change I have ever experienced on a vehicle.

Reactions: baitbegger44##

·
Registered
49 Posts
I just did an oil change at 31,000k. I reset the reminder and when I checked the service menue to see when the next change was 'tentatively' due it said 29600, which was more like the previous change. Did another reset but same result. Haven't driven it yet but was curious if others had similar problems?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Oil change on new vehicles interests me. I used to be a 3000-5000 mile, all synthetic guy.

No with a 2500 gas Promaster I wait for the oil change light. My driving (and 18.3 MPG average) seems to be almost all highway. So the oil change light comes on at 10,000 to 11,000 miles. And the dealer who have done the change tell me their spec is a synth blend.

Makes me curious, but not worried.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
10,486 Posts
Not to worry I have had much the same experience but at 9k miles with no problems

·
Registered
211 Posts
I bought my 2015 city wagon new. I have less than 14k miles on it. I change the oil once a year,using Royal Purple 5w30 full synth,and their microfiber filter.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I use the recommended 0W-20, fully synthetic. The Royal Purple is a really high grade oil but it's also pricey. Can only find the 0W-20 at Walmart. I usually use Valvoline. O'Riley Auto Parts has the cheapest prices unless Advanced Auto has a special that includes a filter and a roll of shop towels for around $30.00. I change mine every 5k. These engines burn oil so I have to add about one quart between changes. I AM referring to the Promaster City since this is the correct forum for it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I use the recommended 0W-20, fully synthetic. The Royal Purple is a really high grade oil but it's also pricey. Can only find the 0W-20 at Walmart. I usually use Valvoline. O'Riley Auto Parts has the cheapest prices unless Advanced Auto has a special that includes a filter and a roll of shop towels for around $30.00. I change mine every 5k. These engines burn oil so I have to add about one quart between changes. I AM referring to the Promaster City since this is the correct forum for it.
I've been having the same behavior with my PMC and the oil consumption. Midway between oil changes I've been adding oil. It has made me worry that something is wrong with the engine or that it's something to do with the type of synth oil that FCA recommends for the van.

Has anyone else been seeing this with their vehicles?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I read that a few were burning oil so I checked mine and it was about 2 qts low. I need to start checking it more often. I'm assuming that the computer would give some kind of warning signal/light if the oil drops too low. Anyone know for sure?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts