Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the PM oil change is supposed to be super simple, but I'd still like to see a video first. The only one I could find was a top side pump-it-out video.

Will be doing it the old fashioned way, climb under with 13mm wrench etc.

Got a WIX 10010 filter and it is literally just a filter, never seen one like that before. One Caravan/Pentastar video says to make sure to replace a rubber gasket on the casing the holds the filter inside, but there is no such gasket included, etc.

Anyone have link or will I really find all the help I need in the users guide?

Thanks in advance. 5k miles coming up and switching to that SUPER-fake oil.

·
Registered
2014 Ram Promaster 2500 159" diesel
1,375 Posts
Got a WIX 10010 filter and it is literally just a filter, never seen one like that before. One Caravan/Pentastar video says to make sure to replace a rubber gasket on the casing the holds the filter inside, but there is no such gasket included, etc.
The WIX WL10010 comes packed with the o-ring.

·
Super Moderator
8,962 Posts
All my Wix 10010 filters have come with the O ring also.

A 24mm shallow socket fits right over the oil filter housing but you do need an extra short handled ratchet as the space is tight and it's probably next to impossible to find a ⅜" drive socket as most are ½" when they get that big. The angle is tough to use a box end wrench but you can if you're patient and have a really short one. I simply drain the oil pan remove the filter, reinstall the new filter and add six qts of synthetic oil.

The correct syn can be found for about $5 qt and the filters are about $5 or $6 bucks if you're a careful shopper!

Pretty simple job actually.

Gas engine only, of course!!!

·
Registered
886 Posts
The o-ring should be laying loose in the bottom of the Wix box.

Don't attempt it until you buy that stubby handle socket wrench. I just about cut the handle off one of my wrenches. It would have been easier than all the time I spent driving around town searching for right wrench.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I bought a 8 dollar box/open wrench at Northern Tool here in town and cut it in half.
Now, i have 2 filter wrenches!

·
Registered
170 Posts
I bought a 8 dollar box/open wrench at Northern Tool here in town and cut it in half.
Now, i have 2 filter wrenches!
I happened to have a set of stubby socket handles from Harbor Freight. Short handles with a flex joint makes them handy in a variety of tight situations. $11 but often on sale. 1/2" handle on a 24mm socket is perfect for the oil filter housing.

https://www.harborfreight.com/hand-tools/sockets-ratchets/3-piece-flex-head-stubby-ratchets-46742.html

·
Registered
52 Posts
I am sure all the special tools would make things easier, Just because I am lazy(cheap) I grabbed a 6" adjustable wrench and changed the oil and filter its not rocket science.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Another method

I used a 24mm 6 point socket, and an adapter that I had, that converts a 1/2" drive socket to 3/4" hex, then used a 3/4" wrench, see picture attached

oil pan plug is a 13mm

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts