Purolator Classic = L36296
Fram = CH11665
Champ/LuberFiner = P1009

anyone use something different?

What about oil? Dino or Synthetic?

·
Registered
886 Posts
Not Fram. There was a time when they were the best. But in recent years, there have been several really bad reviews and tear downs of Fram, exposing really poor quality.

I'd go OEM if doing it myself. The cross reference charts are not always perfect.

With most engines switching to recommendations of synthetic, it would be hard to justify using anything less today. Regardless of what any one engine might say in the manual.

One factor in the switch to synthetic, is smaller oil passages inside the engine to help emissions. Easy to foul small passages on some engines.

Anyway, that's how I treat my babies.

·
Registered
180 Posts
If you want to change the oil every 3000, might as well use dino. If you plan to follow the dash indicator and let it go 10k, synthetic makes a lot more sense. Please, whatever you do, don't ask which brand of oil is best. There are 8 billion opinions. They are just opinions. No reason to put any more stock in them than that. On filters, Purolator and Mobil1 always seem to get high marks. The Fram heavy duty version might be acceptable now, but their standard grade filter is, as mentioned, a classic example of name whoring.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Does anyone know if K&N carries an oil filter for these vehicles, if so they would be a good option for a high performance filter

·
Registered
180 Posts
Next time you pull out a K&N air filter, run your finger around the inside of the intake track just upstream of it. Feel all that grit? Would you really want to buy an oil filter from the people who sell that?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Next time you pull out a K&N air filter, run your finger around the inside of the intake track just upstream of it. Feel all that grit? Would you really want to buy an oil filter from the people who sell that?
I agree with you on that.

·
Registered
386 Posts
wouldnt grit from the filter mean its doing its job?

·
Registered
424 Posts
Probably meant "downstream". I've made the same observation about K&N air filters and won't use them ... and although I'm pretty sure that their oil filters are made under subcontract to someone in the business of making oil filters, I'd still rather use something else.

·
Registered
100 Posts
That definitely isn't good, i'll have to take a look at one next time. It really helps to observe it all.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Probably meant "downstream". I've made the same observation about K&N air filters and won't use them ... and although I'm pretty sure that their oil filters are made under subcontract to someone in the business of making oil filters, I'd still rather use something else.
Yeah, sorry about that. Downstream it is.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Couldn't find a filter quickly so took to dealer with mobil 1. Our mileage jumped 1 mpg within two days. I always use mobil but have never seen that quick a change. Kinda like it. Helps pay for the more expensive oil. Not sure its a break even but what ever works. Its amazing that the dealers think "express oil change" means 4 hours.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts