Ram Promaster Forum banner

OHV LIFT KIT NIGHTMARE

8958 52
Sorry to zap everyone with a tale of woe first post in, but you should be aware of EXACTLY what you are getting into with their 3 inch lift kit.

Initial cost - $1800+
Installation cost - $900 labor.
Result - an ongoing nightmare that has landed my brand new 2021 2500 in the Dodge dealership with a "check engine" code pointing to a major transmission failure.

Did I mention the van is less than a month old and hasn't even been driven since the lift kit was (eventually) installed?

I ordered my kit, never got shipping or tracking info. Had to stalk the company over the phone and email for almost two weeks before someone got around to letting me know the kit was inbound the next day. Customer service strike one.

I dropped my van qnd the OHV kit off at a local 4x4 suspension shop that does every kind of baja lift under the sun. They got to work on it and inztalled it over a two day period. On day three they got a "check engine" code they coukd not identify or resolve. They called OHV in the AM. Never got a call back. Van sat in the shop waiting for OHV tech support callback that never came.

I called OHV. Finally got someone on the phone. "Yes, we will call them immediately". No call. I know this because I was in constant contact with my shop owner and his lead tech.

Three days later, and four calls from my shop, three calls from me, and two emails, they finally called my shop. "That is an unrelated warning light... not caused by our kit". Really? Because my van was running green like gangbusters before the kit install.

The van ended up having to be towed to a local dodge dealership where it sits waiting diagnosis and possible major service until Monday 12/27. Once the problem is identified it could be WEEKS before i see it again due to supply and manpower shortages.

There are many causes for the warning light I've got. The specific code is "transmission ratio error" and it will not shift out of first gear. Yep. It has something to do with the lift kit and the transmission interface

SOOO.... I am out of a van.
I'm out of $2000.
I'm waiting for Dodge to tell me that the problem is the lift kit.
I'm also waiting for OHV to ignore more calls and emails, then to completely deny their kit is the problem like they have to so many others.
I'm also looking forward to calling my bank. Disputing the charge for the kit, and sending it back to OHV.

The only silver linings here are that the kit is not a permanent install, it is reversible and the van can be restored to OEM no problem. The van is brand new. The dealer will cover it under warranty if its a factory defect. My tech will eat it if they messed up the install. They are VERY good at what they do, so my money is on the fault being the lift kit.

I'm going to lay it out plain and simple. When I invest $2000 in something I ecpect stellar customer support. Not four days of phone tag, no answers, and a flat out denial of any responsibility.

Follow up with other members in this forum and Reddit. OHV causes more woes than Go's.

I'll update as soon as I get to some resolution point.

In the meantime, I can say without reservation, AVOID the OHV lift kit for now.
41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
The combination of lift spacer & subframe spacer kinda reminds me of many designs of a free energy machine. No matter what you do as far as shimming the subframe the angles are being changed. Lowering the subframe effectively negates any "lift" from the kit so you're either looking to install a lift kit or it's an expensive return to oem kit. The only way around that is addressing the axles themselves, or accepting that the axles will become a regular maintenance item.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
603 Posts
Lowering the subframe effectively negates any "lift" from the kit...
A lift with subframe spacers would permit fitting larger wheels/tires, which provide the useful ground clearance gain. But PMs have tire clearance issues at front and rear of fenders, not up and down. Go figure. :unsure:

The only way around that is addressing the axles themselves, or accepting that the axles will become a regular maintenance item.
With most FWD vehicles modified this way, the inboard double offset (DO) joints are stressed more than the outboard constant velocity (CV) joints. And you hope they fail because axles are easy to replace. It's the transaxle I woudn't want to mess up. :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
I’m not going to argue with you people. The installed lift gives my Promaster 9 1/2 inches clearance with the 245tires. Most of us have no problems with the cv axels. Do what you want. I don’t have to be afraid to off the pavement on rough roads or hit cement curbs In town

·
Registered
18 Posts
This is copied from another post on this site

OHV 3 inch lift on my 2018 Promaster 2500 high top. The lift has been on the van for 55k miles. The odometer reads 75k mi. now. I had to replace a right axle at about 45k mi. I first noticed it as a slight vibration accelerating uphill. I had a pretty good idea what it could be, so I looked for grease in the wheel well. It was there, and it looked like the boot had been leaking for awhile. It was the inner CV joint. What caused it? Was it the lift? Or, was it road debris? I don’t know. The left axle has lasted for 55k miles. The right one only lasted 20k, and if the left one had failed soon after, I might have been rethinking the Three Inch Lift.

I knew what I was buying with the lift: first and foremost it is ground clearance and the peace of mind knowing you can go down a road that a Subaru Forester with 8.7” of ground clearance can. You might not intend to get onto a rough road. It’s just better to be prepared for that eventuality.
But, there a compromises that must be made for such an aggressive modification. Number one is that CV joints are going to wear out faster. Another minus is a higher center of gravity. As far as trucks and side winds, I really didn’t notice that much difference from stock. I added Sumos and now it is better than stock in the wind (not to say that you can’t improve the stock ride with Sumos). Nevertheless, in an emergency maneuver, the chance of rolling a lifted vehicle is higher. That’s physics. Another obvious negative is decreased fuel economy due to increased wind resistance from the undercarriage, although I didn’t see much change. I get about 15 mpg before and after lift. I use cruise a lot. And, all of these compromises OHV will freely disclose, if you ask. I did.

As for this specific situation in this post with a shattered CV joint, I would have just replaced the axle and cleaned up the grease. Going forward I would (and do) periodically inspect the wheel wells for grease. This won’t prevent having to buy a new axle, but it might prevent an expensive tow truck bill and all the time and effort to get one on-site.

·
Registered
Van #2 2021 EXT
5,716 Posts
I suspect the reason for no answer from the complaint is that the lift kit Did Not cause problems with the transmission. The majority of the problems on the vans after the lift kit was installed are cause by improper installation.. usually the cv axel not correctly seated or a sensor knocked off. The Ram dealers like to blame mechanical failures something other then parts on the van failing
Hi @Toml

I do not share your reasoning;

Rectangle Font Parallel Circle Magenta

@C Armine ,,, looks liked joined Dec 22, 2021 & has not logged on since.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Sorry to zap everyone with a tale of woe first post in, but you should be aware of EXACTLY what you are getting into with their 3 inch lift kit.

Initial cost - $1800+
Installation cost - $900 labor.
Result - an ongoing nightmare that has landed my brand new 2021 2500 in the Dodge dealership with a "check engine" code pointing to a major transmission failure.

Did I mention the van is less than a month old and hasn't even been driven since the lift kit was (eventually) installed?

I ordered my kit, never got shipping or tracking info. Had to stalk the company over the phone and email for almost two weeks before someone got around to letting me know the kit was inbound the next day. Customer service strike one.

I dropped my van qnd the OHV kit off at a local 4x4 suspension shop that does every kind of baja lift under the sun. They got to work on it and inztalled it over a two day period. On day three they got a "check engine" code they coukd not identify or resolve. They called OHV in the AM. Never got a call back. Van sat in the shop waiting for OHV tech support callback that never came.

I called OHV. Finally got someone on the phone. "Yes, we will call them immediately". No call. I know this because I was in constant contact with my shop owner and his lead tech.

Three days later, and four calls from my shop, three calls from me, and two emails, they finally called my shop. "That is an unrelated warning light... not caused by our kit". Really? Because my van was running green like gangbusters before the kit install.

The van ended up having to be towed to a local dodge dealership where it sits waiting diagnosis and possible major service until Monday 12/27. Once the problem is identified it could be WEEKS before i see it again due to supply and manpower shortages.

There are many causes for the warning light I've got. The specific code is "transmission ratio error" and it will not shift out of first gear. Yep. It has something to do with the lift kit and the transmission interface

SOOO.... I am out of a van.
I'm out of $2000.
I'm waiting for Dodge to tell me that the problem is the lift kit.
I'm also waiting for OHV to ignore more calls and emails, then to completely deny their kit is the problem like they have to so many others.
I'm also looking forward to calling my bank. Disputing the charge for the kit, and sending it back to OHV.

The only silver linings here are that the kit is not a permanent install, it is reversible and the van can be restored to OEM no problem. The van is brand new. The dealer will cover it under warranty if its a factory defect. My tech will eat it if they messed up the install. They are VERY good at what they do, so my money is on the fault being the lift kit.

I'm going to lay it out plain and simple. When I invest $2000 in something I ecpect stellar customer support. Not four days of phone tag, no answers, and a flat out denial of any responsibility.

Follow up with other members in this forum and Reddit. OHV causes more woes than Go's.

I'll update as soon as I get to some resolution point.

In the meantime, I can say without reservation, AVOID the OHV lift kit for now.
I used to build racing suspension and CV joints can be tricky. Without reengineering replacing the whole assembly including the joint to have more travel your asking for long term trouble . If I was to put a suspension only lift I’d only go 1.5 but that’s my opinion.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Without it being driven, I am guessing the install knocked or pulled loose some sensor necessary for the transmission to work with the engine. There is nothing in a lift kit that should cause the issue before its driven.

That said I am not a fan of independent suspension lifts. The CV axles just will not last as long under higher angles. Other than specialized heavy duty high angle CV joints there is nothing that can be done about it.

My bet is on the install. As much as I dislike lifts, I can't the lift causing this.
I agree, the damage to the CV joints would show up later.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 · (Edited)
Hi @Toml

I do not share your reasoning;

View attachment 85044

@C Armine ,,, looks liked joined Dec 22, 2021 & has not logged on since.
RESPECTFULLY, the date I joined has NOTHING to do with the technical details.

The reason I have not logged on is twofold:
1. I'm still evaluating the lift under as many conditions as I can. When I have a definitive update to provide, I will.
2. I don't have to log in to get the information the board provides. When I have something to say, I will.

The dealer was unable to explain exactly what happened. They simply replaced all the sensors and the computer - thankfully, under warranty. Is that admissiin of fault? Nope.
Does that mean it's a Dodge / RAM manufacturing defect? Maybe.
Does that mean the OHV kit caused the problem? Possibly, but not definitively.
Did the problem start after the installation of the lift? Yes, however that could have been the catalyst that revealed a manufacturing defect.
Does the lift work? Yes.

As I said at the start of this thread "...avoid for now...", which is my way of saying I need more information and time on the modification before I would recommend without hesitation. Having said THAT, there are no changes to report. I did get the van to a dealer, its runs now, and I'm using it. I feel the most important data set now is long term use.

Would I recommend the OHV lift now? Cautiously, yes. The caveat being that you need to have it installed at a shop with LONG TERM experience like I did. No names, but my shop has 20 plus years lifting Jeeps, Trucks, BAJA vans, and yes, Sprinters and now Promasters.

YOU should make an attempt to focus on the tree we're talking about, not the forest.

(Edited for grammar, because spelling saves livez)

41 - 53 of 53 Posts