Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have the OEM swivel seats yet? I know they reappeared on the build options for 2016. Just wondering if anyone has them yet and can post up some pictures and impressions.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'm also interested in the swivel seats for a camper conversion. Any idea why the nicer seats (6 way adjustable, lumbar support) are not available with the swivel option? Or at least it appears that way when I try to option them out? Has anyone added an after market swivel to the 6 way adjustable seats? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
I did, no problem with my 6 way. I bought a driver's at http://eurocampers.com they have sportscraft a nice swivel and very strong. It doesn't turn around clockwise and you can't sit in it to swivel. http://www.swivelsrus.com carries CTA I believe, also well reviewed and you can turn it clockwise and sit in it to swivel. A bit more $ but I would get theirs.

Reactions: Woody

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Any idea why the nicer seats (6 way adjustable, lumbar support) are not available with the swivel option?

I was wondering this as well, but noticed that in the very few pictures I have seen for the OEM swivel seats, there appears to be an armrest which is part of the Lumbar package only. I wonder of the OEM swivel seats have the lumbar as part of it. It would appear that you can't configure vinyl and/or heated seats with the swivel option.

For what it costs to get the OEM swivel seats, you can option out the driver and passenger 6 way adjustable with lumbar, and driver/passenger heated seats, then buy the swivels for both online and the difference is about $6.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I'm also interested in the swivel seats for a camper conversion. Any idea why the nicer seats (6 way adjustable, lumbar support) are not available with the swivel option? Or at least it appears that way when I try to option them out? Has anyone added an after market swivel to the 6 way adjustable seats? Thanks.
I have the seats with lumbar adjustment and heated seats and installed the swivelsrus CTA aftermarket swivel. No problems. I chose the swivelsrus swivel because the larger center hole accommodated the heated seat wiring without modification. And based on comments from those with the eurocamper swivel, the swivelsrus adapter had fewer issues with obstructions when swiveling the seat.

As for the OEM swivel, I have not seen one in a cargo van but have seen them in the Winnebago Travato and Trend. I believe they are the same but cannot confirm that. The ones in the Winnebago matched all the knobs and buttons shown in the Promaster Cargo Van Owners Manual and included the lumbar adjustment, so I would guess the OEM swivels in a cargo van would also have the lumbar adjustment.

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
There is one other factor. If you are short or tall the swivel raises the seat 1.25+ inches. Shorty's tend to get the dangling leg syndrome (me) Stretchers tend to get their eye line so high they can't see the stop lights. Lowering the bases solves this but they cost $140 each in Europe and no one imports them now. swivelsrus is investigating doing a bulk buy for us on this forum. However adding a lowered base makes the factory swivel seat a better deal IMHO. I see no reason the vinyl and lumbar seat should not be able to be swiveled? Whats with that?

Reactions: Woody

·
Registered
184 Posts
I've seen a few pictures of the factory swivel seats, and they appear to have the seat-belts integrated into the seat backs, whereas the non-swivel seats have the seat-belt mounted on the B-post. I find it hard to believe that FCA would condone operating the vehicle with seat not facing forward (obviously passenger only), but that seems to be to the only reason the seat-belt would need to be integrated into the seat back.

In any event, that the seat-belt is integrated into the seat back explains why the factory swivel seats are different from the fixed seats, and some of the features are excluded.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Supposed to get my van with factory swivel seats the end of this month, we'll see if that comes true. When it does happen I'll post pictures. The manual says the van won't launch unless both seats are facing front.

·
Premium Member
Master Overland Custom Vans Tampa
883 Posts
Supposed to get my van with factory swivel seats the end of this month, we'll see if that comes true. When it does happen I'll post pictures. The manual says the van won't launch unless both seats are facing front.
You will be the first non-production RV builder to get factory swivels. I'm really hoping you get them but unfortunately I'm betting it will not come with factory swivel seats.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I did, no problem with my 6 way. I bought a driver's at http://eurocampers.com they have sportscraft a nice swivel and very strong. It doesn't turn around clockwise and you can't sit in it to swivel. http://www.swivelsrus.com carries CTA I believe, also well reviewed and you can turn it clockwise and sit in it to swivel. A bit more $ but I would get theirs.
Can you post a pictures of yours swivel sit in following positions; 45*degree, 90* and about 140* ???

In a middle of a space driver's and passengers seats I do have invertor and switches panel, what may be on a way of a swivel plate when it turns to a 180* position.
Thanks for helping:x

Reactions: pbanbury

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've seen a few pictures of the factory swivel seats, and they appear to have the seat-belts integrated into the seat backs, whereas the non-swivel seats have the seat-belt mounted on the B-post.
I've seen aftermarket seats in the RV conversions like that, but the few pictures I have seen of the OEM swivels do not have the belts built in. There is a picture of each seat next to the option choice on the build your own site. The belt is not attached to the seat in those pictures.

·
Registered
37 Posts
If the passenger seat is swiveled so it faces backward, are you still able to drive your van? Are your seat belt shoulder straps built into the seat or the A-pillar? Thanks.

Shawn

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
The belts are still anchored to the door pillars. Yes the van will start and run.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have not checked in on this forum in a bit, but thought I should. I factory ordered my sandstone cargo van with windows all around in late September, and took possession of it only 9 weeks later in early December. I am SO glad I waited for the options that I chose. Among them include the factory swivel seats. They are PERFECT for my situation. They are sturdy, comfortable, and do have adjustable arm rests. Every time I see a ford transit or sprinter on the road I am reminded of why I am very pleased with my mobile office promaster. The engine will start with the passenger swivel seat facing rear, but can not be shifted out of park....at first annoying, but makes sense to me now.

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
Congratulations from another sandstone Metallic guy! Me diesel, aftermarket swivel on drivers side, windows. I do think the transit is UGLY snouted, and I would never have split for that 3 pointed star! It looks like your seats must be fabric and no 6 way lumbar, is that true?

·
Registered
23 Posts
There is a lumbar adjustment knob, and the seat front and rear can be tilted front to back. The seats are indeed fabric. I am 6'3" and very comfortable in them. The seat belts are integrated into the seat, so having long arms helps find the strap to drag it across your torso to buckle up. I have some projects that I am currently designing/planning, and its awesome to just swivel to the rear and study the interior and work on things. I still catch myself at times tilting my head to the side walking through the van....although headroom clearance is fine, even with the factory wood floor!!!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Thanks Housecallvet. Two questions: You mentioned the van will start with the passenger seat swiveled. Will it also start with the driver's seat swiveled? Where is the swivel release control? Winnebago Promaster RV's have it as a plastic trim piece on the seat corner and the recline release on the other trim piece corner. Now if I can just get the dealer (and the Dodge build website) to allow adding the swivel to the 6 way/lumbar seats.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I do not know if the van will start with the driver seat facing rear....but I will try that this afternoon and reply on this forum this evening when I return home. The mechanism to swivel the seats is as you described....when I picked up the van from the dealer last month neither the dealer nor I could figure it out just with experimentation. I had to download the complete owners manual the next day to figure it out. It is actually well designed and seems bullet proof so far. Unrelated, I replaced my door speakers with speakers from Crutchfields last night while watching the John Scott hockey party last night. Definitely worth doing if you need tunes while driving...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Thanks again. I was placing my order at the dealership today and the salesman was still unable to spec out the 6 way/lumbar seats with the swivel. The salesman called his local rep and was told the same story. So frustrating for me, but encouraged that you have what I'm pursuing. Can you perhaps post a picture of the seat from the side showing the lumbar and the seatbelt in the seat? I really appreciate your time.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts