Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I bought my van it had a RAM Mount ipad holder. Sadly, it didn't fit my ipad mini so I was looking for other options to hold my phone or tablet for navigation. I really like OEM options where ever possible and came across this OEM Fiat Ducato option. It replaces the stock clipboard and is super easy to install. Best part is that it's adjustable so you can use either a phone or tablet.

I made an install video and threw it up on my youtube channel if anyone wants to have a look. It's literally 4 screws, very easy:

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Reactions: RDinNHandAZ

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does that stay 'up'the whole time?
or will it 'lay down' if you want it to when the phone/tab is removed?
Yes, if you watch the video you can see it in action at the end.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 136WB low roof diesel, converted to an RV by Sportsmobile, TX
420 Posts
So, how can we get an order together that won't involve getting hosed by a GreedBay seller?

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
much nicer solution to space use in that area.

At this point (as a current Oregon driver) i'm leary of having anything showing/glowing from the dash area...they are literally able to pull over drivers if they see anything looking like a cell phone/tablet in use while in the rig.

·
Premium Member
8,828 Posts
How do you folks dare have the UC-5 on? I’d use one of those in a minute for navigation and readout for my ODB2 dongle. All that us legal. I don’t intimidate easily, YMMV.

·
Registered
808 Posts
At this point (as a current Oregon driver) i'm leary of having anything showing/glowing from the dash area...they are literally able to pull over drivers if they see anything looking like a cell phone/tablet in use while in the rig.
You're up pretty high relative to most other vehicles so it may be hard for anyone but a trucker to see. Not sure how they sort out GPS units versus cellphones and tablets.

Most of the time I use my phone for GPS, because I find it more accurate and more adaptive at avoiding traffic snarls. I'd think this solution would be safer than what I do presently which is holding my phone in one hand, or in my lap, or the passengers seat.

I'm a little concerned that this might block the radio display a bit, but I think it would still have utility when camping or parked, even if you can't use it while driving.

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,654 Posts
I'd like to know the reason that RAM decided not to put it in the Promaster. Betcha it's a US line-of-sight legality.

I like it, but for $120 I would think a smaller phone holder could be permanently affixed to the existing clipboard. For me, a tablet over 8" would be way too big....Samsung Tab8 or Ipad mini might work well?

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'd like to know the reason that RAM decided not to put it in the Promaster. Betcha it's a US line-of-sight legality.

I like it, but for $120 I would think a smaller phone holder could be permanently affixed to the existing clipboard. For me, a tablet over 8" would be way too big....Samsung Tab8 or Ipad mini might work well?
I'm thinking the same thing. However I'm not that tall and it's not really impacting my view of the road.

As for the price, for sure it's expensive. I could have gotten any type of phone holder and screwed it to the clipboard, but I like my van to look as close to OEM as possible. As for size, I don't think I'd ever actually use my tablet for this, but it will hold my phone. I was using the tablet as an example as I was using my phone to record ;)

·
Registered
808 Posts
Sadly, the seller I bought from is sold out. But there are other sellers that sell on ebay, but they overcharge for shipping:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fiat-Ducat...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Might want to reach out to this seller to see if they can source it.
Found a few more sources:

Amazon UK price-gouges even more:

[ame]https://www.amazon.co.uk/Genuine-Ducato-250-centre-console-735600404/dp/B01N2U6U1R[/ame]

This place is the same price with VAT, so they may be the same eBay seller.

http://www.desiraparts.com/product/...e_Dash_Phone_Map_Tablet_Ipad_Holder_735600404

Here it is on Amazon.de. About the same price as the others, but might have cheaper shipping. I've had success with them in the past. My German isn't so great, but you can add an option now in your profile to autotranslate. BTW your Amazon ID works on most of the International sites.

[ame]https://www.amazon.de/Original-Fiat-Nachr%C3%BCstung-Mittelkonsole-735653789/dp/B01N2U6U1R[/ame]

Here's an Alibaba link for a pallet of five, if anyone wants to arrange a group buy.

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/upgrade-kit-for-tablet-holder-ORIGINAL_50033710075.html

P.S. I'm finding all the German eBay stores say "Dieser Artikel wird nicht geliefert nach Vereinigte Staaten von Amerika" which means they won't ship to the U.S. I'm wondering if this has anything to do with restrictions on selling it here.

·
Premium Member
8,828 Posts
At 100 euro ($117.80 today) for each of 5 plus shipping there is little reason to go that route. If you get a quote at 80 euro+- plus shipping I would do one.

The origional shipper on eBay seemed to have a reasonable shipping cost. $140 delivered. I will hold out for him/her to relist. He/she says they sold 37 so it may come back. I know $140 is a spendy but it’s the Christmas season and I have been a really good boy!

·
Registered
808 Posts
The prices are about the same wherever you search, the only thing that varies are the shipping terms. Apple is probably involved in this somehow ;). I'm tempted to ask the ebay U.K. seller to knock the VAT tax off and apply it to the shipping and call it a day. So far I haven't challenged VAT on eBay, but Amazon generally doesn't charge it if you ship outside the EU.

·
Registered
2016 136WB low roof diesel, converted to an RV by Sportsmobile, TX
420 Posts
I believe the NHTSA banned them due to the risk of whatever is on them becoming a hazard in a collision.

So, instead of a mount firmly attached to the body, with a pretty reasonable hold on the phone, you have these aftermarket solutions that clip into the vent or suction onto the windshield, because that is safer, somehow.

·
Registered
808 Posts
I believe the NHTSA banned them due to the risk of whatever is on them becoming a hazard in a collision.

So, instead of a mount firmly attached to the body, with a pretty reasonable hold on the phone, you have these aftermarket solutions that clip into the vent or suction onto the windshield, because that is safer, somehow.
I suppose NHTSA doesn't have authority over anything but vehicles and roads and such. Cellphone 'accessories' likely don't come under their jurisdiction. Bet there's a huge disclaimer in the fine print for these accessories too.

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,682 Posts
I use a holder for the CD slot (Garmin) and one for a vent (iPhone 6+), both of which attach the device with magnets. When I get a Roundtuit, I will drill a hole in the clipboard so the cord for the Garmin can come from behind instead of draping over the radio.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts