Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2014, 138WB, High Roof, Gas, SW MT
2,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I have a 2014 gas 136WB with 31K miles on it.

For the past 6 months, every time we start from a standing start (eg starting out from a stoplight) we get a sort chirp or squeak that sounds like its coming from the back of the van -- maybe the rear axle area. Its not really that irritating or noisy, but makes me wonder if I should have it looked at by the dealer before my warranty runs out in July?

I think that I have read here about some folks getting the rear axle bushings replaced under warranty, and I'm wondering if that's our problem?
If this is it, are there down the line consequences (besides the noise) to not fixing the problem?

Any advice here?

Thanks -- Gary

·
Premium Member
8,838 Posts
Because it is on warrantee I'd Squeak a bunch to my dealer hoping they can diagnose it or at least record that I was hearing something that might rear its ugly head in the future. I’d bet the rear axles have tapered roller bearings and the locating attachments have bushings but the rear axle also has grease seals, E-brakes and metal backing plates each of which can squeak when first moved. Up on a lift it should be easy to know. I’d suggest to them that they put it on their lift to show you what is making that noise.

·
Premium Member
2014, 138WB, High Roof, Gas, SW MT
2,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just to close this out...

Took it into dealer today.
They checked the rear suspension bushings and determined they were OK and just lubed them. Still makes the noise, but the noise never bothered me, just the idea that maybe the bushings needed replacing.

Also checked the radiator in a couple hour pressure test as it has been using a little bit of fluid the last few months.
No leak detected, but they did want to check the fluid level again at the next oil change.

Have to say that while FCA has been slow to address some things on the PM, my dealer has been great.

Gary

1 - 7 of 7 Posts