Ram Promaster Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,605 Posts
I would suggest you keep looking. That is an outrageous quote!. You should be looking at under $600 a year for full coverage unless you live in a state like CA or NY.

My agent quoted almost a $1000 a year and I ended up getting an RV policy with far better coverage and a stated value of $45k for $550 year in NH.

·
Registered
315 Posts
It really depends on the state. Here is Michigan I'm paying around $1500 per year with a spotless driving record and near perfect credit. That's for a modified RV policy through State Farm and the PM listed as my only vehicle.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I do live in NY....

Funny, I was HAPPY with the quotes...but I do have some more agents working up quotes, and since I'm still in looking mode for the vehicle, have time to continue.

·
Super Moderator
8,605 Posts
It really depends on the state. Here is Michigan I'm paying around $1500 per year with a spotless driving record and near perfect credit. That's for a modified RV policy through State Farm and the PM listed as my only vehicle.
Only vehicle makes a big difference in the rate. If you don’t have another vehicle they really add it on.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
You guys with reasonable cost of living, reasonable taxes, insurance rates etc,...you keep forgetting that you live in America.
We're in NY.

·
Registered
146 Posts
You guys with reasonable cost of living, reasonable taxes, insurance rates etc,...you keep forgetting that you live in America.
We're in NY.
Feel your pain. We're in MA, and one insurer wouldn't provide home insurance because we supposedly live in a hurricane zone. We're six miles as the crow flies from any moving body of water and in the middle of a suburban/urban area. So, go figure! As for COL - it's pretty pricey in Greater Boston.

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
I am in Illinois. I went to the Progressive web site and insured mine as a class B camper van. You will declare your own replacement value. Read carefully as it will tell you the requirements such as 110 current, water (maybe running, can't remember), cooking, fridge. They don't define any of this so I would think a cooler could be called a fridge. It can all be done on-line. I pay $440/yr. with $22K replacement cost. I will up that number when I finish the conversion and put it on the road.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
$22k total?
Or is it the value of the vehicle + $22k for the value of the contents/conversion?

·
Super Moderator
8,605 Posts
He said the current unfinished value. Progressive will not insure Promasters any more. You can sometimes "sneak in" in by not being 100% straight with them but Progresivevwill not knowingly give RV insurance for any home-built RV. It must have an RVMA approval.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've had a 1990 Ford E-150 Conversion Van insured with Geico for several years, but am having difficulty obtaining a quote/insuring the Promaster I'm hoping for, which is a 2015 2500 with 159 wheel base, extended body.

First, I was told it goes under commercial insurance. That agent can't help me because I haven't a registered business to go with the vehicle. I said it would be used as an RV, so was transferred there. They won't insure because it's not a professionally done conversion.

They said go to a "broker," which..... I'm a little surprised Geico cannot help me. I'm guessing Progressive is a broker, since they look at various underwriters. Am I missing something?
My PM 2019 is self converted, and I got insurance with Farm Bureau Insurance with no problem. I was also able to get coverage on the material cost of the conversion.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
He said the current unfinished value. Progressive will not insure Promasters any more. You can sometimes "sneak in" in by not being 100% straight with them but Progresivevwill not knowingly give RV insurance for any home-built RV. It must have an RVMA approval.
So what happens if one has to put in a claim with Progressive and they realize it's a home-built?

I'm not doing an expensive build. Sure it will cost something - insulation, coverings, platform, countertop. That's it. I'm not concerned about recovering those costs, if something unfortunate were to happen. But if one is going to be penalized forevermore, insurance rate-wise, then that makes the risk unacceptable to me!

·
Super Moderator
8,605 Posts
I don’t know that’s why I was happy to pay State Farm an extra $100/year and provide them with photos and explicitly say it was converted by me. They only wanted me to have another vehicle available to drive besides the Promaster but didn’t even care who or if it was insured by.

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
I feel the same way -- recovering the cost of the contents is not a big deal to me. I only put $5K into the conversion and some of that could probably be recovered after an accident. I want the insurance to cover liability and cost of the vehicle if its totaled. I don't want to play any games with the insurance company and then have them come back and say I lied on the application. I made sure they knew it was a homebuilt conversion.

Gary

·
Registered
33 Posts
Thanks. They info so far has been based on the VIN(one I am looking at, not yet purchased).

Will look into seeing if the van can get registered non-commercial here in NY.
Hartford ins...I live in ny my van is 2017 2500 159" and is not registered commercial

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Hartford ins...I live in NY, my van is 2017 2500 159" and is not registered commercial
A little detail would be helpful.
Does your plate have 5 numbers and then 2 letters, like "23456-MA" ?
If so, then it's registered commercial.
If not, can you tell us how and why it's not?

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
We're in NY.
... and CT! "The Land of No RV Plates" and vans are Commercial or Combination... period. (which neighboring NY sees as commercial!)

21 - 37 of 37 Posts