Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a code scanner for 2014 3500. I have a scanner/programmer for 2007 Sprinters if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I thought the standard was OBD2 for all cars since 1996. Why wouldn't the scanner you currently have work with the ProMaster?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have an Innova #31630 and they don't support the ProMaster format. It will read DTC and clear but won't go any deeper in diagnostics. My scanner for Sprinters will allow you to reprogram the computer. I beta tester the Sprinter tests with a company here in Michigan. We played with the program and tuned it for my heavy loads and increased the performance and mileage.

I'm a small Plumbing and Heating company. We haul everything we need without running for parts. I've added air bags to the rear, set at 20 psi. It stabilizes the rear and balances the load. I also use Conklin oil product, hybrid synthetic oils. Cooper Courser tires for added traction on wet/snow.

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
I have an Innova #31630 and they don't support the ProMaster format...
Nor does any other aftermarket scanner. The only game in town for Fiat based Chrysler systems is dealer equipment, and paid access through Chrysler. Definitely not practical from a cost effective aspect for someone just looking to work on their own stuff.

Your current scanner will do about what anything else you would buy can do.

-t

·
Registered
32 Posts
I bought the Actron CP9575 AutoScanner from Amazon. It reads and clears most codes but won't allow me to reprogram or even reset certain codes. Recently had Insufficient Reagent Quality code that had to be reset by the dealer.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have been using a Bluetooth OBDII scanner in conjunction with two Andoid phone apps. The scanner and apps are universal and have worked flawlessly with my Chevy, Jeep, and Promaster. You can read and reset trouble codes that are shown with a system description, not just the code. It even shows diesel codes, such as identifying a bad glow plug. In addition you can set it up to display real time parameters such as RPM, temperature, and turbo boost.

Here are links to the scanner and apps I purchased:

BAFX Products 34t5 Bluetooth OBDII Scan Tool for Android Devices

OBD Fusion (Car Diagnostics)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=OCTech.Mobile.Applications.TouchScan

OBDII Trouble Codes

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nom.obdiicodes

·
Super Moderator
727 Posts
Just got the Bluetooth Panlong OBDII scanner from Amazon and downloaded on my phone Torque (Lite) from the google playstore. Works great, was able to see the last error code in the history.

All that for half the price of a single error scan at the dealership. :)

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
Hi all,

Just purchased the Bluedriver Bluetooth OBDII device. It works really well with all our cars including the Promaster. A couple of error codes came up on the Promaster;

1. P0513 Invalid SKIM Key --my research indicates an issue with the ignition key. Has anyone seen this one?
2. B1001 A/C Switch Request Input Circuit Low: Signal Compare failure--A/C is working well, is this an impending failure?

Thanks,

Mike

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
Every time you turn the key from off to on a tranceiver coil that fits around your ignition lock cylinder begins to emit an electomagnetic field which activates the passive transponder inside your key. The transponder then begins to transmit its unique code which the transceiver then picks up and reads, and then sends to the computer which disables the immobilizer on the van allowing it to start.

That is a lot of business going on. Sometimes there can be a glitch. Anytime that key turns and the read doesn't happen correctly, P0513 will be thrown. Do you have any clone keys, or only OEM?

Just erase it, and don't worry about it.

As far as the A/C code, I don't know, but I would do the same thing. Erase it and see if it comes back.

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
Every time you turn the key from off to on a tranceiver coil that fits around your ignition lock cylinder begins to emit an electomagnetic field which activates the passive transponder inside your key. The transponder then begins to transmit its unique code which the transceiver then picks up and reads, and then sends to the computer which disables the immobilizer on the van allowing it to start.

That is a lot of business going on. Sometimes there can be a glitch. Anytime that key turns and the read doesn't happen correctly, P0513 will be thrown. Do you have any clone keys, or only OEM?

Just erase it, and don't worry about it.

As far as the A/C code, I don't know, but I would do the same thing. Erase it and see if it comes back.
Hi Taylor,

Thanks for the response. I did find out that my gym door fob which is on my key-chain might be the cause of P0513 error code. The fob is for Anytime Fitness and I ran into a post elsewhere which indicates that this RF ID fob could be the culprit. I'll erase the codes and see what happens--after removing the FOB.

Mike

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
Yes, that for sure can cause an issue. The RF from your Fob is interfering with the signal coming from your Promaster key, and the coil is receiving a garbled signal..

Having transponder keys to two different cars on the same ring can cause a misread at times too. Even if you have two keys to the same vehicle on the same ring it can cause it, as both keys have their own unique transponder code.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts