Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had any luck finding a performance monitor yet so a person can monitor engine and transmission parameters from the vehicle's computer such as oil pressure, transmission temperature? I understand they're monitored but can't find a display monitor (not a programmer) to display the info. Several are sold as if they will, but contacting the mfg, such as Edge, they tell me they don't make one that works with the Promaster 3.6 gas.

I'm about to start searching mechanic's diagnostic tools, but would rather have one that can be dash or windshield mounted relatively permanently. I'm especially interested in monitoring transmission temperature, having had issues in the past with other vehicles. Of course, then, we tapped in a mechanical gauge. These days, one wants to tap the vehicle's computer via the OBD2.

·
Registered
2015 Promaster 3500 159 Ext gas silver
190 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,505 Posts
It's called a ScanGage, here is the link

http://www.scangauge.com

I bought it a long time ago to use in my Sprinter (mainly to clear the constant codes and being locked in limp home mode for no reason)
When I sold the Sprinter I just moved it to the Promaster and now I basically use it at a digital speedo, voltmeter, tach and temp gauge. It does a lot more but I don't bother with anything else. I paid about $100 yeas ago but I think they are a lot more now. No idea if it will tell trans temp because I never cared to look. I also have another app/setup on my iPhone and iPad that works wirelessly with a sender that plugs into the OBDP but I never use it as I have no need for the info it provides and is a major PITA to deal with.

·
Registered
2014 Ram Promaster 2500 159" diesel
1,480 Posts
Before you buy a scan tool it is best to do research on what PID's Chrysler has released for view. Chrysler does NOT release PID code. The PID's you are looking for are manufacture specific and not generic. Any scan tool that can read custom PID's should work and that is what you will have to enter. And if you do find a PID you have to make sure it is for what they say it is for. GM, Ford and others release a lot more pid's so don't expect to come close to them as to what you can read. Good luck and if you do find a custom pid post it and the source would be nice too.
Edit here's a list of generic pid's not all will work even same model and year'
www.drewtech.com/reference/DDXL Chrysler%20PID%20List.pdfhttps://www.google.com/search?q=pid&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-US:IE-SearchBox&ie=&oe=#

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks to everyone again. I have contacted Scan Guage by email, I had not found them yet as a mfg, and asked them for specific vehicle application to the Promaster. What I found on their site is this, so we'll see what they say:

"The ScanGaugeII is specifically designed for all 1996 and newer cars & light trucks. It features more than 15 built-in digital gauges, 4 trip computers and the exclusive X-Gauge™ programmable gauge system; you can monitor parameters such as trip data, transmission temperature, and fuel economy information — All in an ultra compact design that installs in minutes."

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A very cordial and quick reply from the folks at Scan Gauge.

They sent me this link, it's a bit above my head for simple "plug n play" into the OBD2 port, perhaps others here will provide their insight as well. We have a 2014 3.6 Gas Promaster.

http://www.scangauge.com/support/x-gauge/dodge-specific/

The reply:

We have transmission temperature available as an XGauge. XGauge is a standard feature on the ScanGaugeII that allows the user to program vehicle specific sensors to monitor. Using the following link http://www.scangauge.com/support/x-gauge/dodge-specific/ you can access the XGauges we have available for your vehicle. If your vehicle reports this sensor through the ECU you will be able to monitor it with the ScanGauge. Unfortunately, we do not have oil pressure available for Dodge vehicles. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Regards,

Cristina Bollinger
Repairs and Technical Support
Linear Logic

·
Registered
2015 Promaster 3500 159 Ext gas silver
190 Posts
It will probably take a while for them to catch up to the current RAM/Chrysler/Fiat codes for programming. It's not too encouraging when they don't even use the word 'RAM' and that is technically what the Promaster has been sold as from the start. Of course our drivetrain was also sold as Plymouth, Dodge, Chrysler, & Ram and it's hard to tell exactly what they did when the Fiat chassis was melded in. For years the Scangauge was used with Sprinters with no trans temp available. After five or six years the X-codes were found (probably no thanks to Mercedes), but only for the 07 & later chassis. These manufacturers are all very secretive, and particularly Chrysler.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I use a $10 wi-fi dongle that plugs into the OBDII port. Then I use an $8 piece of software called Palmer called Dash Command. It takes some playing around to get the gauges right, but pretty much out of the box it reads coolant temp, A/F ratio, catalytic temp, fuel level, voltage and a few others. If memory serves, it will NOT read trans temp or oil temp, but I could be wrong for that. And it could have been updated in the year since I bought it. It's a cheap date, and well worth it if like me you like to monitor stuff BEFORE it fails. I've used it on iPhones 4, 5 and 6 with no issues.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It will probably take a while for them to catch up to the current RAM/Chrysler/Fiat codes for programming. It's not too encouraging when they don't even use the word 'RAM' and that is technically what the Promaster has been sold as from the start. Of course our drivetrain was also sold as Plymouth, Dodge, Chrysler, & Ram and it's hard to tell exactly what they did when the Fiat chassis was melded in. For years the Scangauge was used with Sprinters with no trans temp available. After five or six years the X-codes were found (probably no thanks to Mercedes), but only for the 07 & later chassis. These manufacturers are all very secretive, and particularly Chrysler.
Hi Everyone,

I'm James DeLong and I'm one of the engineers that works on XGauges for the ScanGauge. I recently had a chance to work on a ProMaster City, and was able to get Transmission Temperature reading on the ScanGauge for it. I'm hoping what I picked up from the ProMaster City may apply to the ProMaster, so if anybody with a ScanGauge would like to test out some XGauges feel free to PM me here or Email me at [email protected].

With any luck we'll get Trans Temp working soon.

James DeLong
Linear Logic LLC
Development Engineer

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you Mr. DeLong. Please keep us posted. I'm waiting patiently to hear and to buy one when you tell me it will do what I need. My main goals at this point are transmission oil temperature and engine oil pressure.
Got to take ours for a nice 700+ mile drive Friday, mild load, bucking a head cross wind of 30+ one direction, shifted to a cross wind on the return. You descend almost 3000 feet then climb it back on the return, which was with the load. Fortunately, the wind wasn't a head wind on the return uphill trip also, this time, but it's the reason I want to monitor that trans temp, because it usually is a head wind on the uphill return. BTW, the van managed up to 19mpg in our 136" High Top Gas, with most of the trip in the 18 to 18.5 range, and we should have been in the 8000 lb ball park total weight, vehicle n cargo. Mild hilly, no mountains, most of the elevation change is in a 100 mile area.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I would gladly pay $20 for an app that was well integrated with the promaster. But I'd be hesitant to spend hundreds on a scan gauge. Multiply me by thousands of Promasters and you can see where the money is, Mr Delong.

·
Super Moderator
10,505 Posts
He sent me one to use for testing purposes and I got right back to him with the results in October but he never answered me back. We can only presume they gave up I guess.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for the post, Keeponvaning. What were your results with the "prototype", please?

While I'd like to know for my previous goals for Trans temp and engine oil pressure, I'd also now like to know if it will read the error codes. We've got a check engine code for the first time, but have to go to a dealer soon for some minor warranty issues anyway, but I'd still like to know what the error code is before I head out on the highway for a 2 hr drive to the dealer, or any driving, for that matter. It's the solid, not flashing, warning, and the dealer as well as the manual feels many things can set it off, just as other posters have said, and it may reset itself. The Service Manager asked me to not pop off the battery cable to reset it, because then it's gone from history for him to see when we get there to the dealer.

Makes me wish for the old days of simpler stuff.....but those days are gone I suppose.....lol lol.
But, then, on the other hand, this is why I want to be able to KNOW what's going on with the darned thing, not rely on what even my grandfather use to refer to as "Idiot Lights" that only came on when, for example, the temp was way TOO HIGH, or the oil pressure was way TOO LOW. By then, it might be TOO LATE. lol

Gimme a set of good 'ol guages....I'll be happy, but my age is showing.....lol

1 - 20 of 31 Posts