Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know that I have read on these forums that we need the coolant with the OAT technology. But I am having trouble finding it at Auto Parts stores. Can anybody recommend a certain brand and we're they're buying it other than going to the dealer? Thank you

2014 139" gasser

·
Premium Member
8,810 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,200 Posts
Wally World has it for about $12 gallon 50/50 mix, if I recall.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I went to Oriellys only,here in STL and either in a 50/50 blend or straight, I checked Zerex, Prestone, and another brand which I forgot.
Neither said anything about OAT.. And I did have my reading glasses on and studied them for quite some time.
Tomorrow, I check Wally World. Thanks

·
Registered
888 Posts
Auto parts stores around me claimed to have correct stuff, but it wasn't upon closer inspection. Too many brands saying its compatible, but isn't.

I ended up at dealer. It was cheaper than expected. Just go to dealer.

·
Super Moderator
10,200 Posts
I don't remember the name but I just read the labels on the containers and chose the one that said oat it was a name brand tho. It wasn't hard to find. Mercedes requires it also and I'm sure many other newer manufacturers do also. If you want to be sure get it from the dealer but make sure they know what they're talking about (some don't you know).

·
Registered
130 Posts
usually COOL my OATs with coconut milk, but that's just me. :D

I had my PM 18 months now and coolant is just now showing at low mark. Is that a normal loss rate?
(no wise cracks!)

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
usually COOL my OATs with coconut milk, but that's just me. :D

I had my PM 18 months now and coolant is just now showing akt low mark. Is that a normal loss rate?
(no wise cracks!)
It shouldnt lose any at all.
Do you smell it when you shut it off and get out and walk around the front? I do. 2014 that had the TSB done on the radiator and thermostat housing. But still have the seepage with the replacements.
So, Im just gonna add coolant.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Actually, I find both of my PMs do lose some coolant over time. Both have had the radiators replaced over 100k ago. I suspect it's just normal. We're talking small amounts, maybe a cup every 3 months.

FCA specs OAT coolant that meets MS-12106. I don't know how important the material spec is, but since the stuff lasts for years it seems a good idea to not skimp. I also don't like mixing my own coolant because I don't want to have to hunt for distilled water - tap water has all kinds of stuff in it and isn't worth the risk. Therefore, buy the dealership stuff. It's reasonably priced. I think it was under $20 a gallon, which is roughly in line with what you'll get at Autozone.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Mercedes (sprinter) uses a HOAT coolant (Zerex G-05 or equivalent - now G-48 - very similar). DexCool is an OAT, but it uses 2EHA, which others are / have moved away from (organic acid). Peak has an OAT coolant - Final Charge- and there are several others. The Asian vehicles all use OAT coolant now that would meet the PM specs.

Chris

1 - 12 of 12 Posts