Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,366 Posts
A pretty poorly done review by an even poorer reviewer who has no idea of what a Eurovan even is much less how to review it. The NYT should be ashamed of this puff piece!

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Most NYTimes auto reviews are like that, by NY'ers who don't really drive (because they live in NY), and you can tell that they really don't enjoy writing about cars.

Even when they get a sportscar to drive upstate, they could be driving a Porsche and they will complain about the cupholders....

·
Registered
164 Posts
I guess if you drive a car every day you may have an opinion like this fella did. I just took delivery of my 159' 2500 HR on tuesday and have only 175 miles on it as I am waiting for the up-fit equipment to be delivered and installed.

I have drove a 2500 Chevy Express since 2006 and truthfully the PM is a dream to drive compared the the Express. There are a few adjustment to be made like anything but I find this van very comfortable. The seat seems a bit stiff on the sides but overall I am very pleased with the forward elevated position that the design gives you. There is really no practical place to put my coffee cup (cup holders are useless) It is pretty nice to see over the roofs of cars, noticed that yesterday. I don't have a problem with the angle of the steering wheel nor the left armrest being far away because I drive with my left arm. I ordered the Sortimo bulkhead and that should allow for more legroom than the stock version once it gets installed. The stock bulkhead is good if you are 5'-6" or less in height! Even though this van is driving empty now it is one fast moving machine and very stable.

Some people will like this van some will not but side by side with a Sprinter you can't beat it for economics. I can't compare functionality because I never owned a Sprinter.

·
Super Moderator
723 Posts
If we forget the fact that he is attacking our baby, the "review" is funny. The writer surely knows how to add sarcasm in a sentence, starting with the title that is a almost politically incorrect. "The world of full-size vans moves slowly, and then all at once." Admit it, the guy can write.

I did smile quite a few times and I guess it was the goal of the article. I mean, who's going to buy or not a van because of a review in the NY Times? And I am sure the writer knows that.

·
Registered
180 Posts
In addition to the literary fluff, the writer couldn't even get his facts correct.

He is somehow unaware of the complete redesign of the Ford Econoline for MY1992, and tells the reader that it has been "only modestly updated since 1975."

He also lists the original maximum cargo capacity of 530 cubic feet which Ram recently acknowledged was overstated and needs to be revised.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I bought my PM BECAUSE of a review. It didn't matter whether the guy liked it or not (he did), I saw what I had been waiting for: less expensive than Sprinter, high roof not TOO high, yet I can stand in it due to FWD, high perch in the driver's seat so I can see over traffic (used to that) and... I liked the looks (of the high roof version)! He also hinted at decent gas mileage and that was important to me too after 8-9 mpg pulling a trailer with a F150. So far I love this van and I'm tellin' everybody!

·
Registered
100 Posts
I bought my new PM because I couldn't afford a new Transit. PM was a lot less money to buy into. I thought the PM had a kind of cheap looking cab compared to the Ford. But after test driving a PM, I was sold on it. Loved the acceleration and handling. The parking lot maneuverability is awesome. Like driving a forklift backwards! The cupholders suck, but I got used to it. Other than that, it has been rainbows and unicorns for me.

·
Premium Member
8,576 Posts
I have spent some time in NY over the years as we had good friends just over in Jersey. I thought the piece was just what I would have expected from a city dweller. Little understanding of vehicles in general, no understanding of vans to compare, no thought of it as other than a meat wagon or dress carrier. Whadyaexpect? In the early 60's parents of my college friend came up from "The City" to see him graduate. One evening I had to teach them how to turn on the high beams- They had never used them! City driving is different.

·
Super Moderator
8,366 Posts
You are a country boy! We Boston drivers never learned how use the low beams! Rolling stops, horns and the bird work well also to navigate in traffic. Also never look the other guy in the eye or you're dead meat (in Boston at least). :)

·
Registered
51 Posts
I bought my PM BECAUSE of a review. It didn't matter whether the guy liked it or not (he did), I saw what I had been waiting for: less expensive than Sprinter, high roof not TOO high, yet I can stand in it due to FWD, high perch in the driver's seat so I can see over traffic (used to that) and... I liked the looks (of the high roof version)! He also hinted at decent gas mileage and that was important to me too after 8-9 mpg pulling a trailer with a F150. So far I love this van and I'm tellin' everybody!
I totally agree with your description of the Pro. We love the snug, unpretentious look of the van and the fact that it has a surprisingly low profile for a high-top. And it's the ideal vehicle for a camper van conversion because of the FWD. No wonder we now have more than 6 Promaster up-fitters in North America and that 70% of all van conversion in Europe are built on the Ducato.

More on our van at https://centrelab.smugmug.com/PERSO-GL/XLFLEXsafaricondocom/n-MNSpq/

1 - 12 of 12 Posts