Ram Promaster Forum banner

NY EZ Pass & GVW

556 Views 19 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  SteveSS
I'm navigating the confusion of EZ Pass (what a mess it is!). I live in a state w/o any toll roads (other than a few private scenic drives to the top of mountains), but drive through a few neighboring states that use EZPass. New York seems to have the highest tolls and biggest discounts for users of the New York tag -- and New York is where I'll probably encounter the most tolls given that our son lives in NYC, so I think it makes sense to get a NY tag, even given the $1/mo account maintenance cost.

Anyhow, as I look at the website I see that the personal accounts are for vehicles w/ a GVW < 7000 lbs, and commercial accounts say that they're for businesses.

MA looks easier with no mention of GVW, and they have no monthly charge, but their tolls are so cheap in comparison and the discount for in state vs. out of state so paltry that I don't think that makes much sense.

...so, I'm curious what others in the north-east have done w/ their full sized Promaster vans.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Administrator
‘20 159 HT window van NH Seacoast
12,644 Posts
In NH I get passenger, non-commercial, resident rates, although occasionally the system messes up and I get charged non-resident. NY is the worse but I only drive thru there very, very occasionally. ME is also bad but lots of options to avoid them & MA is easy to avoid if you know Boston and don’t need to use the Tunnel or Pike.

· Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in Indiana
6,567 Posts

· Registered
2018 Promaster 1500 136HT
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, Phil. I didn’t see that. I am registered as a motor home and do have passenger plates. I’ll look into that!

· Registered
1,790 Posts
in va with Virginia ez-pass, with covid I ran in problem that I needed to pass thru a toll yearly to keep account active even through I kept money on account. nearest toll is either wva or norfolk....also florida tolls in and out now in the ez system....need to check before trips as getting mailing with pic and fine with timing penalties is hassle ..no monthly fee......but ez-pass is great

· Registered
'16 2500 159 HT Granite Window - OH(io)
625 Posts
Ohio uses EZ-Pass for the Turnpike (I-80/90). A transponder is $.75 per month per transponder. However, you can get an I-Pass from Illinois for no monthly fee by maintaining a balance ($10 I think) backed up by a auto withdrawal credit card. The I-Pass works anywhere EZ-Pass is accepted, and you can assign multiple vehicles to one transponder.

· Registered
3,885 Posts
This is a timely discussion. We'll be on the east coast this spring. Living out west, we have very little tollroad experience. I suspect it doesn't make sense for us to get a transponder if we're just passing through. Do all tollroads without physical toll booths just take a license plate photo and send you a bill? Or would we need to do something else to avoid a ticket?

FYI, here's some info on Canadian tollroads that take EZ Pass.

· Administrator
12,644 Posts
I don’t know about all states but MA & NH will bill you or you can go to their website and pay it there (I don’t really know how that works however)

· Registered
1,790 Posts
Most states the toll road stays 2 lane and a structure either acceps ur transponder or takes a pic, it also will have couple lanes to toll manned womened booth where u pay usually cash. Some exits will have unmanned unwomened toll that has transponder gizmo or bucket to toss change in, if u don't have ez pass carry change and $$$, some like approaching pittsburgh from i81 expensive, but look at terrain. Best to plenty gas in tank.

· Registered
320 Posts
This is a timely discussion. We'll be on the east coast this spring. Living out west, we have very little tollroad experience. I suspect it doesn't make sense for us to get a transponder if we're just passing through. Do all tollroads without physical toll booths just take a license plate photo and send you a bill? Or would we need to do something else to avoid a ticket?

FYI, here's some info on Canadian tollroads that take EZ Pass.
I would get one, you'll likely save more on tolls than the nominal cost of the unit. In IL, it is a 50% discount, not sure on all the other places, but usually a discount and the tolls add up. Some are photo toll, but not sure you get the discount then.

· Premium Member
2022 Promaster 2500 159" WB High Roof
150 Posts
Here's a summary by state of EZ Pass up-front and annual costs.
Can you actually cherry-pick and open an EZ Pass account in any state regardless of your residence?
And are toll costs for any given road the same regardless of which state your account is in?
Yes. You can order one from anywhere. I got mine from MA, even though I live in CT primarily because I travel through there for my business. In addition, the "but in" was cheap. BTW, you can add multiple vehicles to your account and just move the transponders around.

· Administrator
12,644 Posts
Not necessarily. In NH residents get a 30% discount on in state tolls while every else pays the full amount. The same in MA, MA residents get a discount others do not. As far as I know you need to prove you’re a resident to get the discount pass.

· Registered
2021, 159, HR
44 Posts
Here's a summary by state of EZ Pass up-front and annual costs.
Can you actually cherry-pick and open an EZ Pass account in any state regardless of your residence?
And are toll costs for any given road the same regardless of which state your account is in?
Useful, thank you! We had a long trip this past summer (Texas-->Newfoundland and Labrador--> Texas) and ended up buying a transponder in NH. By the time we returned to Texas, I already had run up several past-due bills for tolls we incurred before buying the transponder. On the way East, we tried repeatedly to call the numbers on the innumerable billboards in New York (and Ohio?) but it was pointless. Just gave up and bought the transponder, everything from that point forward worked like it was supposed to. NH gave us a Faraday cage to store our transponder in when we are not in EzPass states (or if we had to be towed; don't have to pay a toll if you are being towed).

· Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in Indiana
6,567 Posts
I think only Canadians from Ontario driving around NY tolls roads with license plate readers get treated liked Americans.
Press Release - New York State Thruway

They can't get addresses to foreign plated vehicle to send bills too, so it's written off as a loss. (just a guess)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts