Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My promaster has the brake squeal and rear suspension noise that other owners have noted. In addition, my vehicle has the following issues;

1. The sliding side door has stopped opening from the outside, though it can be opened from the inside, if you enter the cargo area from the rear doors. Dealer " fixed" it. Two days later the outside handle stopped working.

I have torn the door apart, and the cable that the outside handle pulls, is not taught enough. I cannot see a way to adjust cable tension here?

2. Radio had virtually zero reception at purchase. Fixed. A couple months later, same issue. New radio has been on order for well over two months now.

3. Cruise control will work, but as time has passed, the twist knob that turns cruise on and off does not always respond when driving at freeway speeds. sometimes I have to twist the knob up to 5 times to both engage and disengage cruise.

Dealer could not duplicate the issue. This is due to the fact that the cruise twist knob works when the vehicle is parked....yeah, that's helpful!

4. Both low beams failed at the EXACT same moment at 25,000 miles. The rear license plate light failed at the same time as well.

I like the vehicle, but not the problems.

I did get a local fabricator to build a rear ramp system for loading commercial lawn equipment. He did a top notch job. I will have to post a picture of the ramp soon. The fabricator was pretty pleased with his work, and mentioned he has them up on ebay.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Yikes, I hope that is not what we all have waiting for us. Very few have that many miles already. Gotta say tho, the side door handle is already giving me problems. Thanks for the update. BTW, being a "new" vehicle (the US version), I did opt for an extended warrantee 7/125.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The side door handle will go...mine used to feel as yours does now. If you take off the inside door panels, you will see the convoluted system of indirect cables and cable housing at work. With time, the cables stretch. When that happens, the outside handle does not travel far enough to pull the required distance of cable to release the latch at the rear of the door.

I have torn the door completely down. It does not appear to have any way of adjusting or retentioning the stretched cable.

The cruise control started off working, but slowly digressed.

·
Registered
259 Posts
The side door handle will go...mine used to feel as yours does now. If you take off the inside door panels, you will see the convoluted system of indirect cables and cable housing at work. With time, the cables stretch. When that happens, the outside handle does not travel far enough to pull the required distance of cable to release the latch at the rear of the door.

I have torn the door completely down. It does not appear to have any way of adjusting or retentioning the stretched cable.

The cruise control started off working, but slowly digressed.

Definitely not looking forward to either of those problems, I use my cruise and side door both a LOT. Has the dealer made good on repairing either at this point?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Short answer, no.

When they "fixed" the door, it only lasted for two days. I could feel that after the "fix", the outside handle barely activated the rear latch.

They claimed not to be able to reproduce the cruise issue. If the vehicle is parked, the cruise works fine. They obviously didn't test drive it. I will have to have my son video tape me trying to operate the cruise control on the freeway, and then show them the video!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Wow that's a lot of problems. How many miles do you have on it and how long have you had it?

A number of these problems have been reported by other people as well which makes it a pattern. It certainly doesn't make the ProMaster seem like a very good quality vehicle.

Is warranty going to fix all of the issues that you have run into so far?

·
Registered
363 Posts
Short answer, no.

When they "fixed" the door, it only lasted for two days. I could feel that after the "fix", the outside handle barely activated the rear latch.

They claimed not to be able to reproduce the cruise issue. If the vehicle is parked, the cruise works fine. They obviously didn't test drive it. I will have to have my son video tape me trying to operate the cruise control on the freeway, and then show them the video!
Next time record the mileage, at least that way you know for sure if they tested it and for how long.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I would like to update my issues after 19 months of pm ownership. I have a 3500 high roof with almost 23000 miles. I use this for plumbing service work. I have had all the recalls done, the radiator replaced, the rear sensors in bumper have fallen out about six times. This time dealer epoxied them in, I use a hand truck a lot and guess when pushed against bumper it would pop it out. The rear squeaking bushings were just replaced. The oil pressure sensor replaced. The side sliding door after 6 months would not open from outside so dealer replaced latch assembly. It worked fine for a while now they had to order a new latch assembly again. I open this door about 50 times a day and the cable does not hold up and no adjustment. I have owned and worked out of vans for almost 40 years and never had a door issue before. I wonder what will happen after it is out of warranty, I am glad I bought the 100,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty. Way to many trips to dealer for a new van, Too much down time and money lost. I thought this was going to be better then the sprinter, not sure yet. I do like working out of it and it drives nice and plenty of power.

·
Registered
970 Posts
What are these bumper sensors you mention?

When you twist the control, the cruise light on the dash should illuminate. Maybe thats how they tested it. One thing to look at would be the brake pedal (brakes cancel cruise) or the resume button on the stalk would fo it too.

I also have an outer sliding door handle not working. Im in the edge of my seat for you to figure it out so i can freeload!

·
Super Moderator
9,030 Posts
Mine got hard to open from the outside, fine inside, the dealer greased it at it works fine now

·
Super Moderator
727 Posts
So the only cure is to replace the cables? What a bad design...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts