Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this info, and it's pretty interesting! There is now a system to locate every possible location on earth by using only 3 words. Thought you would be interested in how they do it. Domino's already is doing deliveries based on this system.

Here's some info: https://what3words.com/

A video is here: https://www.ted.co/talk/chris_sheldrick_a_precise_three_word_address_for_every_place_on_earth

What amazes me is that you can put the app (what3words) on your phone and find other people by asking them for their 3 word code. So in the middle of a field with thousands of people watching a hot air balloon launch, I can send you my 3 word location, you can put it in your phone, and find me. The spot I tell you marks a 3 square meter box, about a 10' x 10' box!

So, if you're in the middle of the AZ desert (or anywhere in NH), you can call for help and tell 'em your location! :D

·
Registered
57 Posts
Novel solution to a real problem. A viable option for use cases like it areas with no current addressing system, or in instances where humans need to tell machine/computer a location in more human friendly rememberable format.

As each cell's 3 word address has no relational reference to adjacent cell it does lose some benefits of traditional addressing system where house numbers and street prefixes and numbers follow repeatable patterns and thus allow us to infer the geographical relationship between two addresses with out the assistance from a computer. Other examples would be lat/long, township/range, milespost etc.

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What language do they use for this, Esperanto?
The way I understand it, they have it set up in many languages...french, spanish, polish, etc.

The English words for my house do not translate to the same french words if I understand it correctly.

I can see lots of uses.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts