Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I lurked in many a nook and cranny of these conversion pages during my build process and appreciated the help and ideas I got from people on this site. In an effort to keep the good vibes going and the idea tanks full - here is a link to my build in the event it helps anyone else. I lived in it for about 5 months straight while traveling around the US and aim to (hopefully) go for another 7-8 starting in March.

http://somewhereifeelfree.com/the-building-of-the-van/

I don't visit this forum very often any more (unless I'm having a van problem) nor do I get notifications if anyone comments on what I say here, so anyone with questions may have better luck going through the website above.

The title is a pretty good description of the van.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Love your blog. I like thinking "out of the box" It was a great read, thanks for sharing.

Reactions: Texas_Girl

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,654 Posts
I enjoyed the blog too!

I'd follow in your footsteps, but at 66...... kinda missed that moment! I will say that most of my working life, I enjoyed work (at least didn't mind going... then there was the commute....and the getting up at 6 am....).

Ed

·
Registered
763 Posts
Subscribed to your blog!

I was so looking forward to off-season travelers' hassles of daily living highlights when the adventureteering posts ceased (as the days got short & cold?).

It's been -10s°F here overnight so a little bit of wishful thinking you've been too busy to share life on the beach at Baja.. .

·
Registered
265 Posts
Great experience! And thanks for the tips on the wire source, the solar panel source and the rear door latches.

But did nobody you met along the way comment on the gnome?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Subscribed to your blog!

I was so looking forward to off-season travelers' hassles of daily living highlights when the adventureteering posts ceased (as the days got short & cold?).

It's been -10s°F here overnight so a little bit of wishful thinking you've been too busy to share life on the beach at Baja.. .
Thanks! Whoa -10!! Yeah, I don't do cold so I'd always planned to spend the winter months back home. There are still many adventure posts to come - still trying to catch up and hoping not to get too far behind when I hit the road again in March

·
Registered
351 Posts
Gotta love the Gnomes!!!

Here's my buddy Frack getting in trouble...

We even take him camping with us

And of course he's there for Thanksgiving too...

:laugh:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,827 Posts
I have to say I admire your chutzpah as a person traveling alone. I have my life-companion and without her I probably would still go but for a young person it's especially good to see. On our fall trip we walked around each camping area (some just remote BLM spots) and noticed about 1 in 20 or so were single campers, and about half of them were less than grey hair age. My daughter is 43 and has traveled alone many times too. Well done. Apparently gnomes are a thing.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quest - Nice ones! I like the gnome on the turkey!

RDinNH - Not gonna lie - I was pretty nervous about traveling solo but I've been enjoying it! I feel like I end up talking to so many more people than I would otherwise. I do have to make sure to keep my wits about me though.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Quest - Nice ones! I like the gnome on the turkey!

RDinNH - Not gonna lie - I was pretty nervous about traveling solo but I've been enjoying it! I feel like I end up talking to so many more people than I would otherwise. I do have to make sure to keep my wits about me though.
Keeping your wits is very important. I travel alone by motorcycle frequently, and keeping a situational awareness of your surroundings at all times is vital. I'm also a guy, 6'2", 235 pounds and ugly so that probably helps keep some people at bay. My wife travels alone by motorcycle as well, and while I worry, I also know she maintains a good situational awareness and can take care of herself.

The difference I've discovered is that when I travel alone, more people are friendly and approach me than if I was traveling in a group. One guy on a bike with out of state plates is neat to talk to. A group of 4 guys isn't as approachable to a stranger. The downside is that if I am going to be approached by the less than friendly element of people, due to my size I don't get the one guy approaching me, I get the group of guys who feel safety in numbers and know they outnumber me. That hasn't happened anywhere near as often as being approached by friendly people, but it does happen.

·
Premium Member
8,827 Posts
I want all travelers to be safe and feel comfortable doing it. Women certainly get more caution warnings. I am 66, 5'7", a bit plump, grey haired, affable and gregarious so I tend to talk to people everywhere. I am universally treated well and often have received road magic from others. Ted Simon a writer who traveled around the world twice on his motorcycle, (once when he was 70) said "Actually the World IS on your side" for all the help he has received. I have crossed the US alone on a BMW single cylinder motorcycle. Even the "gang of bikers" chatted me up! There is something in the lone traveler that elicits awe and respect in others. GO GIRL. May our paths cross. Gnome, not so much. Hóhzó

·
Registered
125 Posts
I liked your blog and would be a little frightened if you were my daughter but it was good to see reading about Glenwood Springs that you trusted your intuition when you felt things were sketchy. I would hope being a Texan you carry a peacemaker, but a good can of bear spray for bears and two legged animals could come in handy.

·
Super Moderator
10,485 Posts
I'm female, 69, 5'6", 135 lb and have no qualms about traveling alone. Now just yesterday a good lookin' guy tried to pick me up at Starbucks in San Francisco….
It wasn't me but I was in SF on Sunday! Headed back to New England tomorrow morning tho after a long drive;)

·
Registered
2015 diesel 2500
211 Posts
Great blog. Read every word, extremely entertaining and witty. Will take your advice and will camp a few times with the bare bones van. Striving for a minimalist motif. Loving the mpg of my unburdened diesel. Keep up the great blog.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi Texas Girl,
thanks for posting your build

I am building a "weekender" style interior on my 159" tall Promaster that is very similar to your concept. Bed across the back with storage below.
Couch/second bed and house battery on the driver side and Fridge and cooktop on the slider door side. I will try to start a thread with pics at some point.

There is a guy that posts on Expedition Portal that has travelled extensively across the west with an Astro Van, http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/128075-My-Solo-Wanderings-of-the-West
He tries to boondock in National Parks to keep costs down. If you haven't seen it you may be able to get some good info from it.

I really want to go out now that I have read your blog and his.
John

1 - 18 of 18 Posts