Ram Promaster Forum banner

Not clear what's going to happen.

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Eiko 
#1 ·
Hi folks,
I don't have a ProMaster yet. I have enough experience with Dodge Caravans that I swore no more Chrysler products. I ordered a Ford Transit 250 High Roof and it's been sitting in the Kansas City Assembly Plant for the last month. (guibo recall, transporter strike apparently)

Since I need a van sooner than later, I went out and looked at the ProMaster. Drove good enough, not quite as good as the Transit. The Pentastar should be the equivalent of the 3.7 in the Transit but seemed let down by the transmission. Tranny seemed 'mushier' when starting off? Comparing the Pentastar to the EcoBoost on the Transit I ordered would not be fair but I figured the Chrysler will be "good enough".

Seat comfort was light years ahead of the old Caravans. I'm used to the flat bus-like steering wheel from my old Toyota Van. The low step in height is huge for me and my dogs. The box like shape should make it easier to convert. Transit looks better but the PM looks better than the Nissan.

So we'll see if the Transit actually arrives first or I find and get a deal done on a PM off the lot first. Basically it's the bird in hand vs two imaginary birds in the bush situation. So hello but you may or may not see me around.

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome. Did you notice that the low floor is complemented by a reasonable height inside too? We find the cab to be very good. The width allows sleeping across for up to 6’ers. Many here looked at transits and chose PM. I have been a Ford person for many years and am happy here. I have the diesel and love it. It has a automatically shifted manual transmission that has been great and I get 26+mpg all the time. The 3.6 gasser guys can get close to twenty but average 17+. Its a good Euro van.

#3 · (Edited)
I found the driving position comfortable but didn't pay much attention to the rest of the cab. My passenger complained about the lack of an armrest. I definitely like the low floor. The interior height is probably juuust good enough. It seems lower than a high roof Transit. I figured I'll be able to stand with my hair scraping the ceiling after floor and ceiling insulation.

I always like power and if I end up with the PM, I'll miss that Ford EcoBoost! I'll comfort myself with the better gas mileage. Mainly I sure hope FCA has learned how to build cars that don't rust.

I didn't drive the diesel - didn't find many of them around Milwaukee. My only experience with diesels are the 1980's Mercedes 300TD and 240D. Painfully slow with the turbo and hellishly slow without. So I didn't even consider the diesel and am surprised people actually like them. The diesel numbers don't seem worth the initial cost and better mileage at 174 HP/295 Torque vs the Pentastar's 280 HP/260 Torque. Maybe I just need to drive one.

If I end up with the PM, I will certainly appreciate PM boosters like you. Talking with a RAM dealer who also sells Fords, he said "off the record" that the rumors are that Ford won't be selling Transits for months until they get a final fix for their failing guibos. If true I will definitely be working hard to build a positive PM attitude.

#4 ·
I find I have a hard time keeping my gasser down it wants to go 80 all day long on the highway. The only thing I can compare it to is my old Sprinter and it's far better than that rust bucket in every way other than extra stiff rear springs (unloaded),

#6 ·
"Mainly I sure hope FCA has learned how to build cars that don't rust."

For this one, we can surely put your mind to rest. Transits appear to be rusting about like Sprinters. PM's are thoroughly galvanized. Rust is simply not on our radar. Even the cut edges of the metal I cut out for the windows has only a sprinkle of rust after being buried in often-wet dirt for more than two years.

To get the interior height in the Transit you have to go ungainly tall on the exterior. PM is well-proportioned.

#7 ·
PM's are thoroughly galvanized. Rust is simply not on our radar.

To get the interior height in the Transit you have to go ungainly tall on the exterior. PM is well-proportioned.
Is it true that PM's are galvanized? I was just told by the RAM salesguy on Thursday that they were not galvanized (although I realize how little sales people know about the cars they sell).

I've read the redesigned Sprinter has/will have an all galvanized body. I figured I haven't seen rusty Transits and PMs because they're both too new to the US.

Definitely agree on the better appearance of the PM high roof. I ordered the High Roof Transit and it looks out of proportion. The PM high roof is in between the Transit Medium and High roofs. OTOH, I'm not a huge fan of the PM's face.

#8 · (Edited)
The longwheel base midroof transit and the high roof 159 are the same outside dimensions H/L give or take an inch. A little wider.
Inside is where the Promaster shines. In order to stand up in a Transit with built in floor and ceiling mods you would have to go with the high roof.

In my opinion is the Promaster is a very good balance of outside height and interior volume.

Diesel would be the ultimate engine if they did not have all that EPA stuff on it. I originally ordered the Diesel but backed out. Happy with 3.6 Penstar. So far so good (early 2014 model). Still going fine and lots of power.

Three winters of driving in salty roads and zero rust.

#10 ·
Ford pulled through at the last minute. I looked at and got some quotes for PM last week. I called the Ford dealer yesterday to see if he could give me a definite delivery date. I assumed he would not be able to and I'd cancel the order and buy one of the PMs off the lot. He shocked me by saying my Transit had arrived.

My mind is half and half in allegiance. I liked the PM's being slightly wider, lower height and better proportions for the High Roof, turning radius, easier rear access from the driver's seat. Ford has slightly better ride and handling, and the EcoBoost engine can't be beat other than mileage.

I'm sure I would have been happy either way. I'll still check to see what you PM people are doing with your vans and stealing ideas.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.