Ram Promaster Forum banner

81 - 99 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Ram Promaster 2500 159" diesel
1,482 Posts
Phill has the right idea I posted about this in post #44 the utube link is not of a promaster and it's an older car but you get the idea. I believe there are more and better utubes. If its new spider webs and bugs making themselves at home probably the cause.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Mine has the occasional issue with poor filling. I just pull the nozzle out an inch, rest it and try again. That usually does it.

·
Registered
2019 118" Silver
953 Posts
Haven't had to go so slow I have to half pull the nozzle out or hand hold it, but sometimes I have to leave it on the lowest setting to keep it from kicking off so I'll definitely be checking this out.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I have had some problem with this. At first it was every once in a while and then progressed to every time I filled up. I was always able to move the nozzle back out or further in and adjusted the flow and filled all the way up. When in Austin I always fill up at the same station near my house. Never had the problem anywhere else I filled up on trips or wherever. About a month or so ago my station installed all new pumps with new hoses and nozzles. Last 4 fill ups no problem.....so far.;) Maybe newer nozzles work better. I always insert the nozzle in as far as I can get it. Don't know if that helps or not. Hard to say.

·
Super Moderator
10,544 Posts
I relate it to pump speed and flow as much as anything, in my experience. Some pumps require me to constantly keep squeezing the trigger while others just fill away and shut off when totally full on their own.

·
Premium Member
2018 136 HR Ont.
570 Posts
In the "Screw through gas tank" discussion there is a post, #13 where I-fly-low had his tank replaced because of fueling issues.

"Each time I fueled my Promaster (after I got home) the gas pump would click off after about 3 seconds. Took it to the local Dodge dealership, they ordered a new tank and installed it in a day, totally under warranty."

·
Super Moderator
10,544 Posts
I think it’s a combination of both problems but there is no doubt after 128k miles and 5 years that certain pumps also cause this. There was an issue with venting on some fill pipes also.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Add me to the list of people with this issue. Curious @HandyAndy, did you get the tank replaced (and then did they do the filler neck)? My dealership is also saying next after vapor canister (they already replaced) is the gas tank. Sigh.

From looking on moparparts, seems like the old filler neck part is 52029483AC and the new one is 52029483AD.
No, I did not get the tank replaced. When filling, I hold the handle of the pump at about 2:00 and that usually fixes the problem. I only have about another six months left on my warrantee, so it is time for me to decide if I am going to have it replaced.

·
Registered
2019 159 High Top - White, of course!
307 Posts
I have this issue once in a while with my 2019. Last fill took me about a half hour. Pump would shut off as soon as I pulled the lever, getting a few cents worth of gas at a time. That was at a brand new station.

·
Super Moderator
10,544 Posts
Although Promasters can be sensitive to fill ups, in this case I think it’s a service station problem. I have had this happen to me at certain station or pumps. Just moving to another pump in the same station can make a difference!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Apparently there is now a class action lawsuit related to this. I still have not had them replace my gas tank. I wonder if they can just replace my filler neck with the updated design?

·
Registered
514 Posts
Knock on wood, stopped having problems filling the tank.
Fill it slow and do not give up until it is full.
The place I go in Maine has ruts that I put the front wheel into lowering the front a bit. First noticed that oddity at Sams club in AZ.

·
Registered
609 Posts
The photos of the filler necks side by side make this make more sense. I have no issues at older, slower pumps. The newer, more rapid flowing pumps get angry if the nozzle goes all the way in. Always assumed splash back was tripping the pump sensor. Never had the nozzle get stuck though. I would have just pulled the quick connect and kept it, if so.
I tend to find a sweet spot at 85-90% of the way into the neck and the handle elevated, leaving the tip of the nozzle pointed more steeply downward and loose in the slot. Every once in awhile, I still practice my sailor vocabulary while adding 4 cents of gas at a time. One would figure designing slot B to fit the standard tab A, but what do I know?
A funnel (gas can nozzle) works, but will piss off attendants that are paying attention. Something about safety regulations. Basic math is required to not over fill. My world often has me needing 12 pieces to make a single transition, because going directly from A to B would be far too easy. I just shrug when product designers poorly design products. Those guys aren't held to very high of standards. Nothing some ******* engineering can't fix.

·
Registered
2018 High Roof 159" 2500
12 Posts
Apparently there is now a class action lawsuit related to this. I still have not had them replace my gas tank. I wonder if they can just replace my filler neck with the updated design?

Just read the info from this class-action link. Unfortunately this pertains to Ram pickups...not our PM vans.

·
Registered
2019, 159", High Roof, 2500
91 Posts
adding to this thread for sake of notes and maybe some feedback and note my BLOATED TANK syndrome
2019 (gas) @ 31K miles

Just had into dealer yesterday for this issue of random pumps cutting out at different times during fill ups. Sometimes runs fine but intermittently becomes rather bad. To service department's credit they took issue seriously and investigated. About an hour later came back to say 'new tank on order, come back in a month'. When I got in to leave I noticed the center access panel between seats was popped off and the cap will not go back flat on it as the tank connections are sticking 2" above the floor. Looking under at the tank it looks a bit like me after huge turkey meal. Tech who came out to look suggested driving on it a bit to see if it clears and goes back down.

Half day later and about 75 miles I'm at 1/4 of a tank so I attempt to get gas..... problem: there is gas up in the filler neck against the cap, pump will not even start.
No pressure release when opening cap.
If I have engine running with cap open I can hear a gurgling noise (strange).

Service manager has asked me to drop back tomorrow AM to see about burping the tank or possibly manually venting it so I can fill it.

Seems part of the diagnostic process tech followed seemed to have pressurized the tank but opening the gas cap is not allowing it to vent back out ?

Anyone know how to burp the gas tank vent valve ?

cheers

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
4,476 Posts
did you try removing these two hoses? (vapor and vent hoses)

·
Registered
91 Posts
Thx Phil
Just tried, removed little one and nothing changed, no pressure release. Cannot get big one off as it’s jammed against floor but it appears to connectto same valve as little vent.

Guessing the tank valves are stuck in “roll over” mode to stop any gas from spilling in event of rollover maybe ?? Filler tube still has gas at cap, tank still appears bloated, removing small vent tube does nothing...

Sorta surprised though that driving 50 or so miles hasn’t helped the tank shrink.

Wondering about removing the aux fuel port on top of tank thinking that might not be valved....but if thank is under pressure I don’t want a fountain of gas either. Anyone recall how low tank has to be before the aux gas port no longer can great remainder of gas?

·
Registered
91 Posts
update: dealer was able to burp the tank .. seems they now think the random intermittent no fill issues are related to fuel pump assembly and not needing a new tank. (glad we didn’t wait 1 month for new tank to arrive)

Makes a little more sense since there are no valves on the tank (the vent valve is in top of fuel pump assembly). I still wonder if the random no fill issues are related to the vent valve or something else ..

·
Registered
18 Posts
I wanted to give an update.

My dealership insisted that replacing the tank was the way to fix it. My warranty was about to run out so I had them replace the tank.

For the first few fill ups, the pumps would still click off. BUT for the last five or so fill ups I have been able to fill for the first time without having to do any special tricks. I just stand there and watch it fill.

I am still skeptical that it is fixed and will not come back. But for now, the problem appears to be solved with a new gas tank.

I will update this if the problem comes back.

81 - 99 of 99 Posts