Ram Promaster Forum banner

61 - 80 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just got my new 2018 (leftover) 2500 159' and the first few fuel-ups had me steaming mad! After reading a few posts here and climbing under the van to verify that it does fill from the bottom...I figured I'd try to help the venting problem before taking it back to the dealer (was heading on a first trip with it).

I cut about a 2" piece of 2" schedule 40 PVC pipe and drilled 5 or 6 vent holes around it. Cleaned all the shavings well to not get anything in the tank. I place this at the filler neck before putting fuel nozzle in and it has worked very well a half-dozen or so fill-ups with out pump shutting off. I may still take it to the dealer for the new filler neck, or tank, or whatever they've come up with...but this keeps my sanity intact until then!!!

I'll try to post a pic here...but new to the forum...fingers crossed.

Attachments

·
Registered
83 Posts
I pull the nozzle out 2-3 inches, then it pumps fine, the worst are new attendants it clicks off and they think it is full. so now i tell them aproximatly how many liters they can expect tp pump.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Tried this...Seems to work well

I just got my new 2018 (leftover) 2500 159' and the first few fuel-ups had me steaming mad! After reading a few posts here and climbing under the van to verify that it does fill from the bottom...I figured I'd try to help the venting problem before taking it back to the dealer (was heading on a first trip with it).

I cut about a 2" piece of 2" schedule 40 PVC pipe and drilled 5 or 6 vent holes around it. Cleaned all the shavings well to not get anything in the tank. I place this at the filler neck before putting fuel nozzle in and it has worked very well a half-dozen or so fill-ups with out pump shutting off. I may still take it to the dealer for the new filler neck, or tank, or whatever they've come up with...but this keeps my sanity intact until then!!!

I'll try to post a pic here...but new to the forum...fingers crossed.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have filled up at least 10 times since the filler neck replacement. The pump may click off on the initial trigger pull. Then fills the tank. I tend to squeeze as much in as possible. I usually get about another $1 in after the pump kicks off. When I get in to drive the gauges is full and range is good. With the old filler neck, I would get in to drive and gauge would be 3/4 to 7/8th unless I nursed it in an extra 10 times. So YES, it's way better.
I like the sound of replacing the fuel neck at this time instead of replacing the gas tank. Not only did it solve the problem for you but it also is a much simpler procedure and seems like it can lead to less incidental issues.

I called my dealership and they said that the filler neck will not get replaced when the tank does. They said that they inspected my filler neck and saw no problems and since the flow chart says that the next step is to replace the gas tank, that is what they want to do.

Waterboy, do you know if your dealership noticed any issues with the filler neck prior to deciding to replace it, or did they just decide replace it without any evidence?

Also, can you tell me what dealership did your work? Since I may need to direct my dealership to them since my dealership claims that the next step according to the flow chart is the gas tank but if I can direct them to a dealership that was successful by just replacing the filler neck, I may be able to get them to start with that.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I was told the filler neck was an updated part. They said mine was the old part.
Golling chrysler dodge jeep ram, Bloomfield hills, michigan.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I thought I was going crazy. Mine will only fill up 3/4 tank most of the time. I'll have to call the dealer to fix this annoyance.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
I had the can't fill quickly scenario awhile back.

I applied very low air pressure to every hose and fitting on top of the fuel pump assembly, with and without the gas cap on.

Haven't had any problems so far, could be just a fluke.

·
Premium Member
7,370 Posts
Remember the fuel enters the tank near it’s bottom. Many tanks add the fuel at the top. I believe it has to be in the filler neck or a vent as the tank fill will happen.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a similar problem except it only happens when I try to fill before the low-fuel dash icon turns on. As long as my van had told me it needs gas, it fills up all the way with no problem, but anything before that and it won't fill. I tried talking to a service person at the dealership when getting an oil change and they had no clue. It's not a huge problem for me, but since I don't know how many miles I can get after the icon turns on and there are times when I'm miles from the next gas station it can be pretty scary.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Patience is required. Old saying, God please grant me patience, I need it NOW!
When time for fuel, pay attention to the amount of fuel needed 12gal or so for 1/2 tank and so on. Handle clicks off often before filling. Guess getting used to it is part of the experience, very few delays in filling now.
In Yuma at the Sam's Club there was a dip at the pump in one of the lanes, always had trouble filling there. Moved a bit, out of the dip, no trouble.

·
Premium Member
525 Posts
Patience is required. Old saying, God please grant me patience, I need it NOW!
When time for fuel, pay attention to the amount of fuel needed 12gal or so for 1/2 tank and so on. Handle clicks off often before filling. Guess getting used to it is part of the experience, very few delays in filling now.
In Yuma at the Sam's Club there was a dip at the pump in one of the lanes, always had trouble filling there. Moved a bit, out of the dip, no trouble.
Maybe bring 6-inches of scrap 2x6 and roll the driver's side tire up onto it before a fill up.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Add me to the list of people with this issue. Curious @HandyAndy, did you get the tank replaced (and then did they do the filler neck)? My dealership is also saying next after vapor canister (they already replaced) is the gas tank. Sigh.

From looking on moparparts, seems like the old filler neck part is 52029483AC and the new one is 52029483AD.

I like the sound of replacing the fuel neck at this time instead of replacing the gas tank. Not only did it solve the problem for you but it also is a much simpler procedure and seems like it can lead to less incidental issues.

I called my dealership and they said that the filler neck will not get replaced when the tank does. They said that they inspected my filler neck and saw no problems and since the flow chart says that the next step is to replace the gas tank, that is what they want to do.

Waterboy, do you know if your dealership noticed any issues with the filler neck prior to deciding to replace it, or did they just decide replace it without any evidence?

Also, can you tell me what dealership did your work? Since I may need to direct my dealership to them since my dealership claims that the next step according to the flow chart is the gas tank but if I can direct them to a dealership that was successful by just replacing the filler neck, I may be able to get them to start with that.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
FWIW,
I used low air pressure on the vapor canister hose and fitting, also on the fuel tank vent hose and fitting.

Haven't had a problem since.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I had this problem. I bought my Promaster in Plymouth, WI and drove it all the way back to Texas without any problems. About a week later (after I got home) the fuel pump would click off after a few seconds. It would take nearly half an hour of "hand forcing" the pump (restarting fuel flow every 5 to 10 seconds) so that I could get enough gas into the tank to drive down a road home.

Every gas station I stopped at, I encountered this problem. At about 2,800 miles, our local Dodge dealership ordered a new fuel tank and they replaced it under warranty (that was more than a year ago) and I haven't had any problems again after they put in the new fuel tank. I'm not sure if they installed any other hardware.

Not sure what component inside the tank caused this anomaly, and I'm really glad this problem didn't happen until I got back to Texas.

·
Registered
288 Posts
FWIW,
I used low air pressure on the vapor canister hose and fitting, also on the fuel tank vent hose and fitting.

Please explain how you did this, I do not understand how you applied low air pressure to the vapor canister hose.

·
Registered
151 Posts
FWIW,

Mine is a bit slow to fill (or it will shut off) but not as bad as some here experienced. What is this low air pressure fix you mention?

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
lol, lung power and don't inhale inside the van.

I wasn't sure what type or quantity of valves were in the tank, I surmised the vent wasn't working and maybe the roll over valve(s) were sticking, so nothing to lose I gave it a try.

Using various sized scrap hoses, tubing and duct tape. Whatever would work.
  • I gave the vapor canister hose and fitting a puff.
  • The tank vent hose with the gas cap on, the puff went up the vent hose down the fill tube and I could hear the bubbling in the tank.
  • The tank vent fitting IIRC exited out the vapor fitting or vice versa, can't remember.
Then I went back to the same gas station pump and had no issues, and none since.
Maybe it worked or maybe it was a fluke either way it's over.

61 - 80 of 89 Posts