Ram Promaster Forum banner

41 - 60 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Has anyone had any dealer input on this yet? Mine is brand new, only filled up twice, pump kicks off about every 5 sec. Tried slowing the speed down, pulling nozzle out a little, turning nozzle different angles, nothing helps. Full service gas attendants don't like me much.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Fix for the no fill

Ok now you know what shuts the pump off not the cause. Now this video shows you how to fix it. One video says to blow air through the vent tube but make sure both ends are disconnected you don't want that stuff in the tank.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksHqjydj5bA

·
Premium Member
7,370 Posts
I agree the vent line is plugged. Its a new vehicle! Crimped hose? Defective charcoal canister? Reversed hoses in production (my guess)? Mexican Pinacate beetle larvae?
Now that we know what it is it should be a snap for the techs at the Ram dealership to correct it. This thread is a repeat of an earlier one but no resolution seemed to have been give then.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am going to try a different gas station, but that's not the point. Out of all the 20 something vehicles that I have driven, not one of them would not fill up at every station I ever went to. Has to be some sort of flaw or problem. I just can't bring to dealer now, very busy and can't afford to be without vehicle for even a day.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My dealer service dept said he's never heard of this. I have found that if I switch vehicle off and pump slow I can fill tank up. So many little things I hate about this van

·
Premium Member
7,370 Posts
My dealer service dept said he's never heard of this. I have found that if I switch vehicle off and pump slow I can fill tank up. So many little things I hate about this van
I have never even thought about fueling up with it running! I seem to have seen signs here in New England it is required by law to shut off vehicle (and no smoking). That is not something to blame on the van!

·
Registered
154 Posts
FWIW ... and it may be worth very little ...

I've owned three MercuryVillagers/NissanQuests. With each of them, if you put the nozzle all the way into the filler neck and set the nozzle for full flow it would trip the pump's autostop every time. I learned if you set the nozzle in the fill neck only to the first click of the retaining spring you could blast away. If you haven't already, try placing the nozzle in "just enough" and see if there's any difference. (Just thought I'd relate my somewhat similar experience just in case it helps.)

·
Registered
64 Posts
I had a Honda that would stop filling almost immediately if I used the pump lock to free my hands (e.g. for washing windows while tank was filling). This happened at different gas stations. Complained about it to the Honda shop and they said the pump nozzle had to be fully in, and to hold the nozzle up and towards the car body during fueling. When I did that it filled up full every time.

Might not fix your problem, but thought it useful to know that the position of the pump nozzle can make a big difference in how the cutoff mechanism works.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have never even thought about fueling up with it running! I seem to have seen signs here in New England it is required by law to shut off vehicle (and no smoking). That is not something to blame on the van!

It's not against the law here to put fuel in your automobile while it's running. It is against the law to lock the gas nozzle and leave vehicle and pump handle unattended. Not blaming the van, just stating what it does. Lot more to blame on van than this

·
Registered
75 Posts
I had a truck with a similar issue. The solution for me was to put the nozzle all the way in, then pull it out about halfway, and rotate it clockwise to about 2 o'clock. After that, no issues.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hey Oregon, responding from the Willamette Valley. I experience the same problem, some stations are worse then others, slow fill is the key at many places. I also have had success in turning the nozzle almost upsidedown. But your situation sounds way worse then mine. I have never had problems filling it, just how fast I can do it. enjoy your new truck!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Part # for the different filler neck?

Do you happen to have the part # for the different filler neck? I just picked up my new 2018 2500 yesterday and had problems with filling it up at several different gas stations on a very long drive back home, and then again today at a station I use regularly...very frustrating! I would love to be armed with any details about the filler neck that solves this problem!

Thanks,
Jim

·
Registered
15 Posts
I know this is an old post! Just adding my 2 cent. 2018 159 extended, same exact problem. Dealer said their is an updated filler neck. They warranties it. 1 good fill up so far.
Hello Waterboy. I was wondering if the updated filler neck solved your problem? I have the same problem and the dealer wants to replace the whole gas tank under warrantee.

I am nervous that replacing the gas tank is such a major procedure that it will create other unintended issues and still not make it so I can fill my gas tank.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have filled up at least 10 times since the filler neck replacement. The pump may click off on the initial trigger pull. Then fills the tank. I tend to squeeze as much in as possible. I usually get about another $1 in after the pump kicks off. When I get in to drive the gauges is full and range is good. With the old filler neck, I would get in to drive and gauge would be 3/4 to 7/8th unless I nursed it in an extra 10 times. So YES, it's way better.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just got my new 2018 (leftover) 2500 159' and the first few fuel-ups had me steaming mad! After reading a few posts here and climbing under the van to verify that it does fill from the bottom...I figured I'd try to help the venting problem before taking it back to the dealer (was heading on a first trip with it).

I cut about a 2" piece of 2" schedule 40 PVC pipe and drilled 5 or 6 vent holes around it. Cleaned all the shavings well to not get anything in the tank. I place this at the filler neck before putting fuel nozzle in and it has worked very well a half-dozen or so fill-ups with out pump shutting off. I may still take it to the dealer for the new filler neck, or tank, or whatever they've come up with...but this keeps my sanity intact until then!!!

I'll try to post a pic here...but new to the forum...fingers crossed.

Attachments

41 - 60 of 89 Posts