Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched, and haven't found anyone else with this problem, so I'll be the first to post.

I have over 1,100 miles on the odometer now, and have noticed since day 1 that I had an issue with the fuel guage.

Well, come to find out, it's not the fuel gage, its the promaster not accepting the fuel. The second I drove off the lot, the needle went below "F", and I figured they were pinching pennys. Well, ever since, I can't get any pump (tried 5 different stations), to fuel my promaster. It gets less than 1/10th of a gallon in before it clicks off like it's full. In Oregon, where fuel is NOT self serve, the fuel attendants get pissy, and to be honest, so do I. I end up apologizing repeatedly, and telling them I'll sit there and babysit it myself.

I've tried every combo possible, Holding the handle at every angle, applying all different types of pressure to the handle, etc, etc...

Anyone else????

BTW, I do love this van so far!!! Just picked up a 3-seater sprinter seat to mount in the back for more seating!!

·
Registered
601 Posts
I have searched, and haven't found anyone else with this problem, so I'll be the first to post.

I have over 1,100 miles on the odometer now, and have noticed since day 1 that I had an issue with the fuel guage.

Well, come to find out, it's not the fuel gage, its the promaster not accepting the fuel. The second I drove off the lot, the needle went below "F", and I figured they were pinching pennys. Well, ever since, I can't get any pump (tried 5 different stations), to fuel my promaster. It gets less than 1/10th of a gallon in before it clicks off like it's full. In Oregon, where fuel is NOT self serve, the fuel attendants get pissy, and to be honest, so do I. I end up apologizing repeatedly, and telling them I'll sit there and babysit it myself.

I've tried every combo possible, Holding the handle at every angle, applying all different types of pressure to the handle, etc, etc...

Anyone else????

BTW, I do love this van so far!!! Just picked up a 3-seater sprinter seat to mount in the back for more seating!!
There were some complaints about not being able to fill the tank completely a while back, maybe around Sept. or Oct. Folks were complaining about always appearing to be about two gallons short after the pump kicked off. I don't think anybody ever figured out why? You might do a search here on the forum for threads on that.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I had a problem like that a few years ago with a sedan, and my ace mechanic figured out that it was plastic molding in the "fill" pipe at the seams between sections of the pipe that were obstructing the flow of fuel into the tank. He fixed it by removing the fill pipe and "root-rooting the fill pipe which removed the excess "plastic" at the seams. This excess was "backing up" the flow and causing the pump to "think" the tank was full. Problem fixed.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Mine is touchy, I cannot fill at 100% flow and it clicks off regularly. If I hold the valve at 50% or so it will get mostly full but it takes a long time. This seems like a venting problem - maybe something in the tank emissions control system? I doubt it is a problem with Ducatos, they probably have a different set-up.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Mine is touchy, I cannot fill at 100% flow and it clicks off regularly. If I hold the valve at 50% or so it will get mostly full but it takes a long time. This seems like a venting problem - maybe something in the tank emissions control system? I doubt it is a problem with Ducatos, they probably have a different set-up.
Mine will have problems occasionally too. It seems to depend on how high the flow is set on whatever pump I am using. Sometimes it works flawlessly and if I try to squeek in a little more it overflows. Other times it will constantly trip the automatic stop. Usually it can be avoided on these higher flowing pumps by just setting the nozzle one notch slower. We also have vapor recovery pumps in WI, so we're not supposed to try to top off the tank once the pump shuts off automatically. I have to say though, I have never seen my gauge go down below empty. Maybe I just haven't been enough of a gambler.

·
Super Moderator
6,973 Posts
Same here. Different pumps do differnt things it seems. I also had a car that did the same thing and it was caused by a bad oxygen sensor, believe it or not! A bad charcoal canister filter in the gas tank or defective fill pipe will cause a similar problem.

A warrentte claim for sure is in order!"

·
Registered
873 Posts
Fouled charcoal canister comes from packing gas in the tank. It's wise to never pump more after it clicks off.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Fouled charcoal canister comes from packing gas in the tank. It's wise to never pump more after it clicks off.
I've been topping off my tank for 10+ years in about 5-6 different vehicles from a 2006 Scion XA with 11.9gallon tank I can get 1 extra gallon of gas in that. Also have a 2004 Chevy 2500HD Duramax Diesel with 34 gallon tank and can get 2 extra gallons in that. I have never had or know of having a bad charcoal canister on any of my vehicles!

·
Registered
13 Posts
i just filled mine for the first time, it was very touchy. I had to reduce flow on nozzle and break vapor recovery seal with my finger as i filled tank. I did manage to get in 19 gallons.

·
Premium Member
7,185 Posts
I've been topping off my tank for 10+ years in about 5-6 different vehicles from a 2006 Scion XA with 11.9gallon tank I can get 1 extra gallon of gas in that. Also have a 2004 Chevy 2500HD Duramax Diesel with 34 gallon tank and can get 2 extra gallons in that. I have never had or know of having a bad charcoal canister on any of my vehicles!
You have been lucky, let us know when you have to replace one and the cost. I hear $350+. I'll stop when it shuts off thanks, as long as it seems a reasonable amount is in the tank. I learned on both my German motorcycles that it can happen. You'd be surprised what BMW thinks they're worth! Fiat probably thinks they are worth less. Keep your fingers crossed.

·
Registered
873 Posts
You're lucky. Common problem at garages. I know a guy who killed a fairly new Tacoma packing it with gas. The first symptom is rough running, then progresses to stalling.

Any garage will tell you not to pack gas in the tank.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Maybe call it luck but with almost 800k total Miles doing this I guess really lucky.. I just hate filling up at the pump so wait till light comes on then drive another 20-50 miles (depending on what vehicle I'm in as I have it almost down to a half gallon of gas/fuel left) then I fill up using the slowest setting so not to have a bunch of gas/fuel foam! Then ADD 1-3 gallons more depending on what vehicle (Scion XA takes 1 extra gallon after 1st click off, and GMC 2500HD takes 3 extra gallons).. Example 2004 GMC 2500HD Gas has a 36 gallon tank but I have put 37.5 gallons in tank when low gas light on driving 40-50miles (keep in mind this truck only gets 11-12mpg)

70k 2002 GMC Sierra 1500-Gas
145k 2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD-Diesel
165k 2004 GMC Sierra 2500HD-Gas
135k 2006 Mazda3-2.3Gas
160k 2006 Scion XA-Gas
60k 2006 Chevy Express 3500-Diesel
60k 2012 Chevy Cruze-Gas-Turbo

·
Registered
36 Posts
Occasional problem for me as well. Seems kinda hit and miss. I generally tell the fuel island attendant how much I expect it to take.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Maybe call it luck but with almost 800k total Miles doing this I guess really lucky.. I just hate filling up at the pump so wait till light comes on then drive another 20-50 miles (depending on what vehicle I'm in as I have it almost down to a half gallon of gas/fuel left) then I fill up using the slowest setting so not to have a bunch of gas/fuel foam! Then ADD 1-3 gallons more depending on what vehicle (Scion XA takes 1 extra gallon after 1st click off, and GMC 2500HD takes 3 extra gallons).. Example 2004 GMC 2500HD Gas has a 36 gallon tank but I have put 37.5 gallons in tank when low gas light on driving 40-50miles (keep in mind this truck only gets 11-12mpg)

70k 2002 GMC Sierra 1500-Gas
145k 2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD-Diesel
165k 2004 GMC Sierra 2500HD-Gas
135k 2006 Mazda3-2.3Gas
160k 2006 Scion XA-Gas
60k 2006 Chevy Express 3500-Diesel
60k 2012 Chevy Cruze-Gas-Turbo
Mostly GM though. Not sure, but might be issue with certain brands. Toyota for sure.

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
I fill all my stuff up more after the pump clicks off and NEVER had an issue.

I was never told not fill up this way.

Heck my work trucks all have dribble lines on the side since I fill them up until I see the gas. Todd

·
Premium Member
7,185 Posts
Check your owners manual. I would guess you have been told not to continue to fill the tank. It has been in every vehicle owners manual I can remember since about 1990. But hey if it's working for ya, what am I to say?

·
Registered
11 Posts
In answer to the original post, yes, I rented a gas promaster for a week and consistently had a horrible time filling it at the pump. All gas pumps I used constantly clicked off prematurely, even manually at the lowest flow, driving me insane. I really hope they fix this.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Really Keeponvaning? Your saying that all 5 stations I've tried have faulty pumps?? The same pumps that work fine on my other two cars?

I've come to the conclusion there is some sort of restriction in my fuel fill tube. Who knows if I'm right, but I'll be contacting the dealer about this soon.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts