Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Having just moved to NM from Florida we were eager to explore our new home state.

Almost 700 miles, averaged 25 +MPG on the trip computer :) The van did wonderful and gave us some ideas for how we want to add storage on the inside for everything we take with us!

We headed out Friday afternoon and attempted to spend the night at Chaco Canyon, but the campground was full by 4:00pm and since it was a quick trip we didn't have time to make reservations. The park recommended a nearby BLM site called Angel's Peak about 13 miles up the road. We were able to find it and had the entire place to ourselves. Rare on a Friday night I would think, but who's complaining, it was FREE too. :)

The views were incredible!!!

Saturday morning found us in Aztec NM at the Ruins. We lucked out, it was Earth Day and NP week so everything was free. Aztec got it's name from the Spanish explorers in the 16th Century who found the Ruin's there, having already been abandoned for over 400 years already and thought they looked like the Aztec ruins in Mexico. It was an incredible place to visit.

Next on the list was to visit the Four Corner monument. I hadn't been there since I was a kid and didn't remember it at all. The wind was blowing from the South at 40 + MPH as we headed West toward the Four Corners, but the PM handled the wind like a champ.

Four Corners is on Navajo land and thus run by the tribe. It was windy as all get out there and the van got a good sand-blasting. It wreaked havoc on the windows weather stripping and every time we opened and closed the windows it was like nails on a chalk board. I had to wash out the gap so we could continue on. :)

Headed North out of Four Corners into CO and then back into NM and East up into the Mountains. We ended up in the small town of Chama. It was definantely the off-season. I was craving a shower after the sand storm, so we ended up in a Lodge in town and had dinner at a great restaraunt. What a great little town. We can't wait to go back in the Summer to escape the heat down here near ABQ.

I'll post more pics after I get done processing them in Lightroom!

·
Super Moderator
10,478 Posts
Great trip thanks for the photos! I guess it's safe to say "You're not in Florida anymore" ;)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Great description and pictures of the trip ! Did a similar route in Feb. of 2010 and vowed to go back to NM for a more in depth visit . Your post has made me think sooner rather then later to head that way. THANKS !

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great trip thanks for the photos! I guess it's safe to say "You're not in Florida anymore" ;)

You're right about that, and I couldn't be happier :)

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great description and pictures of the trip ! Did a similar route in Feb. of 2010 and vowed to go back to NM for a more in depth visit . Your post has made me think sooner rather then later to head that way. THANKS !
Come on out, I finally have enough room that someone could park in my yard for a night or two >:D

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Northern NM is a great hiking destination for us, except we have to drive 600 miles to get there. Lucky man.
I can't wait to get back into Backpacking, it's been years. Florida has some trails, but I love the mountains and desert out here so much more!

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi,
Really nice -- thanks.

Just wondering how your van is set up for camping?

Gary
Hi Gary,

It's "partially" finished at this point. I ran out of time before we moved last month.

I have the ceiling insulated with R-Max, the walls with Thinsulate, the floor has a 1/2 layer of R-Max and some plywood over that with some cheap rug to cover it up. I built a bed platform across the back and we have a 10" thick Memory foam mattress that's almost as comfortable as our bed at home.

I ran some wiring for lights, a Maxx-air fan, and a chest fridge/freezer that's just strapped in on the floor for now. I did install one sliding window in the sliding door before we left FL. More for visibility than anything else.

We have plans to finish it off, but wanted to spend a few trips in it to get a feel for what we needed to have.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts