Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2015 PM 2500 gas, 159" wb with 6000 miles. Have not hauled anything over 500 lbs.
now my right rear wheel makes a squeaking noise like rear brakes do when stopping. BUT this always does it mostly noticeable when driving slow. Under 25 mph but most likely even at hiway speeds.

Is this serious or just have some debris in in?

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Try the parking brake.Just a little bit. The alarms will go off but this will tell you that this
could be the source of the squeak.???

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Applied parking brake several times while driving slow no change.
I do remember when I first bought Van pass side rear brake made a grinding noise when backing up but I thought it was just some rust on rotor from sitting on lot.
Now it squeaks when applying brakes and driving. I bet caliper is sticking. Have appt. next week to have fixed.

·
Premium Member
8,834 Posts
I have a test for a sticking caliper which is what I suspect is your problem. At the end of a short drive (a few miles) I gingerly touch the rotor on that squeeking wheel and the one opposite. After burning my finger a few times I bought a cheap IR remote thermometer and now point it at the rotor and compare to the other side. If the caliper is sticking you get burned if not its just warm.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had serviced at dealer and right rear wheel checked and of course said nothing was wrong when they test drove it Around the parking lot. Told them happens after driving and using brakes for awhile.
I will take to a regular brake shop and get second opinion then if something is wrong will take back to them with proof.
Other than this issue Van is doing great.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have a 2014 1500 PM. I have 13k on it and no real problems to be mentioned, however, I have the same rear passenger grinding. Let me know what you find out on your second opinion.

Thanks,

Derek

·
Registered
52 Posts
My right rear parking brake has had this occasional squealing since I bought the van, which now has 186k miles. They could never find the cause, and shop manager told me that its the mini drum brake pads for the parking brake, inside the right rear rotor.

I just ignore it and don't use the parking brake. It sounds like it's metal to metal now, but I'm not touching it until I replace the rear brakes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have 1 2014 winnebago travato conversion on the PM Ilt has 3000 + miles on it. On a trip back from Pheonix the left rear wheel parking brake assy started making noise. After a little bit the left rear wheel basically "locked up" and the PM had to be towed to the dealer. After disassembly parts have been ordered and I am sitting in a motel waiting for the completed repair in a couple of days. There is no warning for this, it just happened.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Parking brake on left rear wheel.

I own a PM van conversion. It has about 3K miles on it. On a trip back from Pheonix the left rear wheel basically started making noise. After stopping I found that if I put it in reverse that the wheel basically "locked up". Had it towed to nearest Dodge dealer. Upon disassembly found the whole left wheel assy damaged and needed replacement. Parts have been ordered and I am in a motel waiting.. The cause was the parking brake assy. :crying:Is lthis common?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts