Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2014 Winnebago Trend Promaster 3500 - with 2400 miles

I have been trying to get regular 3000 mile service, recall battery compartment, and brake squeal checked out, but have not found a single RAM dealership in the Raleigh NC area that will work on it or even look at it. Most all are not "Promaser" certified, and have no interest to even work on the regular vans, and don't want to even consider ANY type of RV application.

Contacted RAM support and they are checking for any dealers in the area... but no response as promised and Winnebago points back to RAM as it's not their problem
even though they have a master relationship with them as chassis supplier.

Local Raleigh RV dealer can't find any RAM dealer to look at their Winnebago Travato Promaster units new on the lot.

At this point we have a very bad feeling of Buyer's remorse !!!!!

·
Registered
887 Posts
That sounds wrong. There are many dealers selling ProMasters in the RDU area. If they sell them, they service them.

·
Registered
314 Posts
If you find a dealer that sells them, they are certified to service them, if they blow you off, tell them you are going to complain to chrysler and give them bad reviews online. They are sensitive to reviews and complaints as it effects their dealer rating with chrysler.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Already contacted RAM Promaster "hotline" and waiting on their response. They assigned a case number / care person.... and yes I do plan on telling the story of pushing a vehicle without a service & support network both companies are guilty RAM / Chrysler & Winnebago.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the dealer info but not sure that would be a good solution for us just to have routine maintenance and warranty work done.... I have talked with the RAM Promaster support group but not too optimistic of a good result, but intend to esculate both at RAM & Winnebago, and engage with NC consumer protection, seek legal recourse if required

·
Registered
887 Posts
Did Hendrick Dodge in Cary turn you down? What about Capital Dodge in Garner?

Those two are massive originations

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes talked with both mentioned and all the others in the RDU / Raleigh area. Hendrick was the only one who would take more than 5 min to talk and explain their point of view. Most dealers are not too happly with the Promaster, no trained service techs, no parts, no required support gear, and the 'techs do not like working on them" And none of the dealers have a lift that can pickup over 5,000 lbs was mentioned.

So if RAM leaves it to the dealers the PM will be a total failure. Winnebago is providing false expectations of some fantasy nation wide dealer network for supporting this Promaster chassis.

And that is too bad, cause the Promaster RV is a pretty cool unit, but not any good if you cant get service or even factory recall work done... even an oil change....

·
Registered
473 Posts
Yes talked with both mentioned and all the others in the RDU / Raleigh area. Hendrick was the only one who would take more than 5 min to talk and explain their point of view. Most dealers are not too happly with the Promaster, no trained service techs, no parts, no required support gear, and the 'techs do not like working on them" And none of the dealers have a lift that can pickup over 5,000 lbs was mentioned.

So if RAM leaves it to the dealers the PM will be a total failure. Winnebago is providing false expectations of some fantasy nation wide dealer network for supporting this Promaster chassis.

And that is too bad, cause the Promaster RV is a pretty cool unit, but not any good if you cant get service or even factory recall work done... even an oil change....
I call BS on this! RAM has several vehicles that weigh much more than 5000#'s. I think these guys are backward, lazy and unwilling to accept that the Europeans have made a better van than the US ever has. All PM's except the extended version actually weigh less than 5000#'s. I have had dealers tell me they don't have enough headroom in their shop to lift them. The engine is a known quantity and fairly easy to work on. None of the other systems are exotic or difficult to work on.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I was told by my dealer that in order to sell ProMaster they had to be a Ram Commercial dealer. There were also other requirements put on them like requiring certain ceiling clearance in the service bay, Having at least one drive on type hoist that can lift a 10,000 lb. van etc. Lets face it, it may only weigh 4,500 lbs. empty, but I don't think all the contractors out there are going to empty their van every time it needs service. In our area, my local Dodge dealer is only about two miles away, but they didn't want to spend the money to meet the franchise requirements. I wish they had, because my Dad is actually employed there and I would have preferred to stay local. The dealer I purchased from is about 20 miles away in another small town in our county. So it is true that you won't get service at every Dodge dealer. I think overall there are more Ram ProMaster franchise dealers in WI than there were Dodge Sprinter dealers back in the day. My company issued '05 Dodge Sprinter 2500 was 60 miles from a franchise dealer. The '10 Mercedes Sprinter 3500 that I currently drive for the company is about 80 miles from a franchise dealer. Mercedes only has three Sprinter dealers in the whole state of WI. It's not handy to be that far away from a dealer with a vehicle that is used to earn your lively-hood. We have made it work because this type of van does the job of plumbing service much more efficiently than any of the standard Chevy and Ford vans do. Lets face it a year ago almost no one had heard of a Ram ProMaster. I don't think Ram is doing a terrible job of getting the dealer network off the ground. They could however, be doing a much better job with timely parts availability. It isn't Ram's fault if every dealer in the Raleigh, NC area has been too stubborn, conservative, or just plain backward to invest the money to become a PM franchise dealer. I'm sure they were offered the opportunity.

·
Super Moderator
9,042 Posts
Why would. you go to a dealer for something as simple as an oil change? You could do it yourself for under $30 worth of oil & a filter and it is very simple. Forget about Ram doing anything for you on the brakes. It's not going to happen, use the CRC on them and forget it. If you are not able to do either of these two simple, no brainier things yourself, for any reason at all, there is certainly no reason any service station or independent garage can't for short money. Forget the dealer!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just to clarify a few items... for " Keeponvanning" Thanks for your thoughts but some clairification is in order

I think you are missing the main point.
1. RAM / Promaster has refused to honor the terms of their warranty by refusing service.
2. Multiple Service Recall service work was refused service by local dealers. Items declared by RAM to be of a safety concern.

3. Items noted above are in violation of NC state and Federal law.

This is not just about an oil change....the oil change that was mentioned as an example of a basic service that did not require any special tools for the dealer, but refused to do the work on the 3500 Promaster / Winnebago Trend RV.

It's great that you choose to change your own oil, I prefer not to in any of my 4 vehicles, as my professional career and out of town travel consumes more than the time and resources to spare for a simple task that can be done by a dealer or maintenance shop with facilities to do the job .

As for the brakes / CRC on them, brakes need to be first safety checked by a dealer to determine what in fact the problem might be. Safety First !!! No idea what is really going on until inspected It's reaching an assumption that this might be the common issue as noted in other posts on this site. This Promaster 3500 RV has only 2300 miles and have owned it 58 days so I am interested in seeing that wheels are pulled and inspected, as I am sure the RV Dealer did not do any detailed inspection like that.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Did some of the dealers have promasters on the lot?
CRC on them does help.

For results kick them in the _ _ _ _s and get a free room at the same time.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yes they all had a few on their lots, some of the guys were vocal about not like them and they do not sell.... perhaps its a local thing here not sure, really like ours but looks like it is become a $80K Promaster RV "lawn ornament"

·
Registered
253 Posts
I don't understand why they have them on their lots, but are not willing to service yours. How are they getting ProMasters on their lots if they are not franchise dealers? You may also be over-reacting a bit. There has to be a franchise dealer somewhere in NC that will service ProMasters. It might not be right around the corner, but there has to be one somewhere. I highly doubt the whole van will implode due to the brake squeak on the drive there. And if you are expecting immediate remediation of this problem, you aren't going to be happy with what this dealer is going to tell you. If it makes you feel any better, I've got 2000 miles on my 2500 159" PM since August. The brakes started squeaking at 200 miles. I've been able to just ignore the squeak entirely because people on this forum made me aware of it before I even took delivery. They were all correct. The brakes squeak some. The squeak varies depending on temperature, humidity, and how often the van is driven. No big deal. No one is likely to die because of it. I may have the dealer look into it when it's in for some other service, but not worth a special trip.

·
Super Moderator
9,042 Posts
I understand exactly what you are saying and I'm not suggesting you do maintence if you don't want to or can't, only the fact anyone or place can do an oil change or brake squeek fix - those are hardly specialized dealer operations that are covered under your warrantee. Be aware brake squeal is typical on Promasters and many other vehicles and you will get no satisfaction at all from any dealer you go to.

If any dealer that sells Promasters refuses to do warrantee work for you on the promaster portion of your van they are breaking the law and their franchise contract with Chrysler and a quick call to Chrysler should clear that up.

Brake squeal is not a safety issue, unfortunately as annoying as it may be!

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
yes they all had a few on their lots, some of the guys were vocal about not like them and they do not sell.... perhaps its a local thing here not sure, really like ours but looks like it is become a $80K Promaster RV "lawn ornament"
Hope things get solved for you. There are people that do not like vans and are for pick up trucks or nothing. But still they have to service them.
I'll try to put a positive in the mix "Could have been a $130K Sprinter RV lawn ornament"

·
Super Moderator
9,042 Posts
I suspect there is more to this story than meets the eye. If a dealer sells Promasters they are obligated by their franchise agreement to perform warrantee work on any promaster still under warrantee. Now, if the op thinks squealing brakes is a safety problem and expects a dealer to perform a free safety inspection that is a whole different can of worms. The dealers are obligated to do warrentee work for Chysley if Chrysler authorizes it and authorises payment for it, but free inspections on a vehicle a dealer didn't sell originally may very well be another thing all together, particularly on a chassis that was modified by another manufacturer.

I don't know many dealers that are unwilling to work on any vehicle they get paid to work on, especially at the rates they charge!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I suspect there is more to this story than meets the eye. If a dealer sells Promasters they are obligated by their franchise agreement to perform warrantee work on any promaster still under warrantee. Now, if the op thinks squealing brakes is a safety problem and expects a dealer to perform a free safety inspection that is a whole different can of worms. The dealers are obligated to do warrentee work for Chysley if Chrysler authorizes it and authorises payment for it, but free inspections on a vehicle a dealer didn't sell originally may very well be another thing all together, particularly on a chassis that was modified by another manufacturer.

I don't know many dealers that are unwilling to work on any vehicle they get paid to work on, especially at the rates they charge!
"keeponvanning" your suggestion that there is more to this story than meets the eyes is inaccurate. But your entitled to your own judgement, but facts are facts.

Below here is the call dialog as placed to each of 7 RAM dealer service depts. in Raleigh area. No overreaction here, and no hidden agenda.

Got a confirmation ticket with Promaster hotline support advocate that agrees in email and verbal over the phone, and they are working the issue now. Getting Escalated on Monday to Sr Mgmt and unexpected for RAM service network.

As some suggest here that this is the typical squal issue with brakes and that might in fact be true, but none can guarantee that there is not some other brake problem without pulling the wheels to be sure what is going on. When you are toting around 8200 lbs every time you hit the road it's SAFETY FIRST and I would rather be sure than place family at risk.

Phone Dialog with 7 local dealers

Hi would like to have my 2014 Promaster 3500 Winnebago Trend scheduled to take
care of a few RAM factory recalls.

Answer: we don't work on these, sorry.

This is a factory recall and some items are safety related, plus would like to know if there is a problem with the brakes since they are making noise now with only 2300 miles, and any scheduled items due at 3000 mile point.

Sorry can't help you.

Can you suggest another dealer?

No, cant help you.

One local service manager offered more info saying that techs were not PM trained or certified, they did not have a lift for them, parts in stock and "besides" they techs don't like working on them and they have only sold a few.

"uncubed" your right on the 130K Sprinter lawn ornament, but at least there are 4 confirmed RV / Sprinter chassis service dealers in NC .... one of the reasons we opted for
the PM is that expected a bigger dealer support network as opposed to some places we travel where Sprinter has 1 dealer for the whole state. We know for sure that there are 4 in NC, and looks like the shock here is on the RAM PR dealer network.

So for all they might be skeptics, go out and buy a PR based RV Cutaway (only 3 companies are making them, Winnebago was first) and test test the RAM service network yourself...or call and ask them if you can set an appointment for factory recall work. Hope you have better luck in your part of the country.

John

1 - 20 of 31 Posts