Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that there was another post about the same issue, but I needed to try for myself and if I had positive results then I wanted to share with you guys. I bought a product called "disc break quiet" by a company called CRC. The tube cost me about 5 dollars, and it worked like magic, and very easy to do. Today, i took off my tire, took off both bolts that hold in the pads, took the pads off, spread the pink gel on the OUTSIDE of the pads, and put everything back together. It worked great, car stops perfect and best of all nice and quiet. I only did the front today since I was short on time, tomorrow i will do the rear, but even though i did the front only, I have no more noise at all....
ps.. for the people that will be doing this yourself, be very careful when you unbolt the caliper and you want to take it off, there is a break sensor connected directly to the inner most pad, and it is zip tied, get come clippers to cut off the zip tie be careful not to damage or cut the break sensor cable. overall this job is easy and not time consuming. :D

·
Registered
114 Posts
Good info, thanks!
I picked up my Promaster yesterday, and sure enough those brakes squeak. I'll be doing this very soon.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Good info, thanks!
I picked up my Promaster yesterday, and sure enough those brakes squeak. I'll be doing this very soon.
I did read the other thread about this and I will be performing the same operation tomorrow. In traffic today they were EXTREMELY loud and very embarrassing to say the least. Now all I have to do is wait for the oil change to get RAM to disable the most annoying thing I have ever heard and that is the seat belt warning. I alway wear it but that "Belt Alert" is friggin' awful.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its a night and day difference guys. Driving around the city, and coming to a stop and everyone would stare at me because the noise was so bad, don't get me wrong; brembo pads are awesome and stop phenomenally!!! but the noise was terrible. Seems funny that a 5$ gel fixed the problem:D Some people were going to the dealer to get them to do it under warranty, and getting "Chrysler is working on a fix" and being sent back home, I know how the dealer will give you a huge run around so it was easier to do it myself. Now to find a way to stop my noisy rear bushings and the van will be perfect, but that doesn't bother me as much as the breaks did.

ps. don't forget about the break sensor cable, very easy to overlook it and possibly damage it. for the people that will do it themselves, make sure to cut the zip tie and disconnect the sensor plugs, the cable is actually attached to the inner most brake pad... also make sure not to get any pink gel on the sensor tip, where it can set off a code on the dash

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i do have to admitt, the seat belt buzzer is annoying. I bought my van with the double passenger seat, and sometimes when I'm driving with my dog which likes to sit on the passenger seat, depending on her position it will trigger the seat belt alarm... very loud, and very annoying

·
Registered
164 Posts
I was thinking about hunting that buzzer down and disabling it. Why does have to be so loud?
The dealer can (I have heard) disable it and none of that crap on YouTube works either. I am due for my first oil change in about a month so I will contact the service manager and make sure he has a method in place to silence it before I take it in. That is the WORST thing I have ever put up with in any car. The department who set it up must be laughing their asses off.

·
Super Moderator
9,051 Posts
I did read the other thread about this and I will be performing the same operation tomorrow. In traffic today they were EXTREMELY loud and very embarrassing to say the least. Now all I have to do is wait for the oil change to get RAM to disable the most annoying thing I have ever heard and that is the seat belt warning. I alway wear it but that "Belt Alert" is friggin' awful.
The dealer gave me the same song and dance about the factory working on it and we'll contact you ASAP! What crap - they think everyone is an idiot and believes what they say. Thanks for did discovering what Dodge couldn't. I'm going to get a tube today and try it on my front pads first also.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The dealer gave me the same song and dance about the factory working on it and we'll contact you ASAP! What crap - they think everyone is an idiot and believes what they say. Thanks for did discovering what Dodge couldn't. I'm going to get a tube today and try it on my front pads first also.
i did my front pads yesterday, worked like a charm. today i did my route, drove over 200 miles with no noise at all; and i only did the front. Ill be doing the rear today, shouldn't be longer than an hour to do. Im happy with the results. I actually should take the front apart and wash the wheels, they are black!! from all the break dust

·
Registered
164 Posts
i did my front pads yesterday, worked like a charm. today i did my route, drove over 200 miles with no noise at all; and i only did the front. Ill be doing the rear today, shouldn't be longer than an hour to do. Im happy with the results. I actually should take the front apart and wash the wheels, they are black!! from all the break dust
The rears have anti-squeal pads on them so it is not advised to do them, so the instructions say.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Which brings us to the question "Why didn't Dodge put them on the front also?"
The front pads are genuine Brembos and the rears are MOPAR. You would think the other way around on this screw up. Advanced Auto Parts has some replacement pads that are $60 but much like the factory the only review said that the brake dust is a problem also.

I did mine yesterday and dove 85 miles today with about 8 in the city and I only heard a faint squeal so I would call that a successful operation.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The front pads are genuine Brembos and the rears are MOPAR. You would think the other way around on this screw up. Advanced Auto Parts has some replacement pads that are $60 but much like the factory the only review said that the brake dust is a problem also.

I did mine yesterday and dove 85 miles today with about 8 in the city and I only heard a faint squeal so I would call that a successful operation.
i drove over 500 miles since i applied the gel, and too heard a tiny squeal... but i also realized that i didn't apply it "liberally" as the back of the bottle says. I think this week, I'm going to redo it and apply more... other than that... very happy with the peace and quiet

·
Registered
164 Posts
Last weekend I put the CRC disc brake quiet on and in traffic they are squealing some, not much but enough to piss me off. I ordered a set of WearMaster Golds from Advanced Auto Parts and they are going on Saturday. The pads were under $60 for the fronts so I will let you guys know. I should have did this in the first place!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Last weekend I put the CRC disc brake quiet on and in traffic they are squealing some, not much but enough to piss me off. I ordered a set of WearMaster Golds from Advanced Auto Parts and they are going on Saturday. The pads were under $60 for the fronts so I will let you guys know. I should have did this in the first place!
Let us know how they work out.

·
Super Moderator
9,051 Posts
I did mine and after 150 miles it's still quiet. I put it on liberally. The directions say wait 10 minutes till it's tacky before reassembly but after 20 minutes mine didn't seem any different so I just put it back together.

The only problem I had was trying to get the inside pad with the wire out. I couldn't get the clip that hods it onto the caliper apart from the wire and they both wouldn't fit thru the caliper. Rather than destroy something I just gave up and hung the caliper to take the weight off it and was able to move the inner pad enough to coat the rear. It was a lot more work and more mess for sure but no broken wires or clips either.

Can anyone confirm if the clip does come off the wire or if both will pass thru the caliper opening with a lot of cursing and fiddling?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts