Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see that most ProMasters on here are cargo vans. Some have the rear door windows, and a couple have the passenger sliding door window. Then there are a few people who have added windows.

Does anyone have the actual factory window van ? There doesn't seem to be much of a demand for it. I've been shopping online looking at slightly used Promasters, Sprinters and Transits. There is a really sweet Sprinter near here that has me tempted.

I then came across a new, 2014, 2500 159" high roof window van. It's basically a cargo van with windows all around. It was also pretty loaded, and discounted over $7,000 to $29,999 . That seems like one heck of a deal for a new 2500 High roof. The only downside is that it is located across the country. :(

·
Registered
625 Posts
I specifically wanted the extended length, that requires the 3500, and no extra windows.

I'm getting a window in the slider door, and have rear windows. I may end up putting one on the drivers side up front at some point, wait and see. But for the rear part of my build, I'll probably do better without windows there; they'd either be wasted (behind the bathroom) or not wanted (next to the bed).

·
Premium Member
Master Overland Custom Vans Tampa
883 Posts
The window 159 is rare as they are made primarily for upfitters to build out for mobility and passenger vans. It's discounted because people don't know what to do with them. Cargo van buyers don't want people to see all their valuable tools, inventory, etc. inside so they don't want them.

If you like the all window look then get it. That's a good price.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,521 Posts
If it had been vented windows on a 136", I would surely have bought it. And I would have paid extra for some molded trim around them.

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,535 Posts
My van is a "retired guy project" and will not be used for business. I really like the look of the window van, and didn't want white (no offense intended to white van owners!)

I traveled 2 states away for a Graphite van with slider and back windows. Added the rest for about $1300 to accomplish a DIY window van. I'm very happy with the results!

If I could have found a graphite 159 hi roof window van I would have bought it. Not available anywhere when I bought mine last August. Couldn't do the "order it" thing. Would have only been a few hundred more to get a window van, but none available.

The graphite makes for a very dark interior... the windows really brighten it up!

Everyone who has seen it comments on how the full window look changes the whole look-and-feel of the van!

Ed

A few curtains solves the privacy issues. Next project is to figure out how to ventilate the unit without a roof vent! (clearance issues)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Like the look, but the driver's side slider is not available in the window van. Was able to find mine with both sliders with windows. The driver side slider window makes the visibility so much better, I wouldn't want to be without it. My plans are for a poor man's slide out from driver slider.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Like the look, but the driver's side slider is not available in the window van.
The drivers side slider has some appeal to me. How do you like it? I think I would get tired of always walking around to the other side to open the passenger slider.

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
I love my drivers side slider. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Being able to load/unload from either side makes it very versatile. Windows on both sliders gives a great view for driving, better than my vdub poptop ever had. It does have less room for cabinetry, so my plans are for modular/removable pieces including a slide out seat based on commercial drawer guides.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I ordered a blue window van in February. My van is primarily for my daily commute, weekend camping and gaming with friends. I love the passenger look and my passengers will appreciate the view. The waiting is agony...

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,535 Posts
Put on some blue sunglasses and it'll look a lot like this!

P1080297.jpg

Mine will be set up for similar uses. (more info at link below) I will have a couch on each side of the aisle.

I found a 4' folding table at Costco that has central legs that will fit in a 20" aisle. The legs don't block your legs from getting in to sit down. Never saw that style before, but it will work well as a table between the couches.

Passenger seating... lots of ways to do it... many shown on the forum appear to be very safe, but not sure which are officially legal... or insured...

Hope the wait isn't too long,
ed

·
Registered
62 Posts
RE: no love for the Window Van?

I see that most ProMasters on here are cargo vans. Some have the rear door windows, and a couple have the passenger sliding door window. Then there are a few people who have added windows. Does anyone have the actual factory window van ? There doesn't seem to be much of a demand for it.
:(
I got the driver's and passenger's side side door both with windows, as well as the rear. You're right - not common. I didn't find anything close anywhere near me, but that's not surprising (full spec below in signature). I just had to factory order. Man I hate the wait:)..

I found a 4' folding table at Costco that has central legs that will fit in a 20" aisle. The legs don't block your legs from getting in to sit down.
ed
Wonder if you might be able to share the table's model number, @proeddie?

:)PP

·
Registered
126 Posts
The drivers side slider has some appeal to me. How do you like it? I think I would get tired of always walking around to the other side to open the passenger slider.
I suppose there are times a drivers side slider would save a few steps but I have never wished I had one on any van. The passenger side door is on the correct side almost every time. With that being said, I absolutely love hopping in the passenger side door and going straight up the middle to the drivers seat, or from the drivers seat hopping to the back. That convenience is much appreciated. This is the view of a contractor who fills that whole side of the van up with a tool rack etc. My personal best combo is high roof, no Drivers slider, no bulkhead partition (or one with a door).

And to the others who enjoy the visibility and the driveability that drivers side glass gives you, to be honest that terrifies me. Please do not take your eyes off the road in front of you to turn your head around to see where you are going. Learn to trust your mirrors. Much safer for you and you will not kill the guy on the motorcycle or the tiny low car next to you in your blind spot.

·
Registered
253 Posts
And to the others who enjoy the visibility and the driveability that drivers side glass gives you, to be honest that terrifies me. Please do not take your eyes off the road in front of you to turn your head around to see where you are going. Learn to trust your mirrors. Much safer for you and you will not kill the guy on the motorcycle or the tiny low car next to you in your blind spot.
I couldn't have said it better myself. My Sprinter is the only truck at the company without passenger side and rear glass. Everyone else complains when they have to drive it. I don't see the problem, you just have to learn to use the convex mirrors and approach perpendicular to odd intersections. About the only time it can be an issue is when backing out of angled parking spots. You have to reposition to be able to look out the passenger front window. And then there's people like my boss who insist on hanging out the door of the truck and looking whenever he's backing. On the road for over 40 years, amazing he's never killed himself or somebody else.

·
Registered
5 Posts
No love for the window van?

Not true! I don't love white, and I don't love cargo vans (I've had both over the years). I wanted the window van, red with a diesel, so had to order it. The windows in the 2015 model are a dark privacy, so I think it looks great with the red body.

As a cabinet maker, I use it for work, carrying tools, equipment and finished case goods, all sizes. For play, I travel to sailing regattas, with light camping and trailing of boats with 3 to 8 people at times, so I need the interior to be able to convert easily, and the windows really help when driving with passengers.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Not true! I don't love white, and I don't love cargo vans (I've had both over the years). I wanted the window van, red with a diesel, so had to order it. The windows in the 2015 model are a dark privacy, so I think it looks great with the red body.

As a cabinet maker, I use it for work, carrying tools, equipment and finished case goods, all sizes. For play, I travel to sailing regattas, with light camping and trailing of boats with 3 to 8 people at times, so I need the interior to be able to convert easily, and the windows really help when driving with passengers.
Since you are a cabinet maker, I want to ask you the question.

I am thinking about van conversion into RV, and factory-built windows are the option simplifying (I hope) the task, though I wasn't able to see the trim quality from inside.

It seems to me that most DIY conversions are doggy-boxed styled, God forbids. Just look at the European conversions, and you'll understand what I'm talking about. I'd like to reproduce those European ideas in mine -- curved kitchen cabinets, lighter interiors.

Unfortunately, I'm unable to find 2 key things in the US:

1. Nice shower/toilet enclosure. You can combine some surrogate out of the tray and walls sold separately, but definitely they are not as nice as European ones.

2. Curved kitchen cabinets and curved overhead storage bins.

Another thing I'm concerned about -- all the furniture I've seen is made presumably of MDF, which is basically laminated dust. In case of front collision this stuff will get broken for sure out of wall/floor connection, and fly forward. How one can alleviate this stuff?

I thought about maybe metal carcass made of tubes just covered for decoration by laminated thin plywood.

You opinion would be very interesting.

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,521 Posts
Xdp, Saunter over to classbforum.com. Lots of people using aluminum 80/20 extrusion to do just what you describe. SafariCondo, an upfitter in Canada, also uses this. I think it's the better way, but I'm a woodworker and would be totally lost working with Tinker Toys.

The Europeans just saunter down to nearby store and buy curved cabinetry.

·
Premium Member
Master Overland Custom Vans Tampa
883 Posts
Since you are a cabinet maker, I want to ask you the question.

I am thinking about van conversion into RV, and factory-built windows are the option simplifying (I hope) the task, though I wasn't able to see the trim quality from inside.

It seems to me that most DIY conversions are doggy-boxed styled, God forbids. Just look at the European conversions, and you'll understand what I'm talking about. I'd like to reproduce those European ideas in mine -- curved kitchen cabinets, lighter interiors.

Unfortunately, I'm unable to find 2 key things in the US:

1. Nice shower/toilet enclosure. You can combine some surrogate out of the tray and walls sold separately, but definitely they are not as nice as European ones.

2. Curved kitchen cabinets and curved overhead storage bins.

Another thing I'm concerned about -- all the furniture I've seen is made presumably of MDF, which is basically laminated dust. In case of front collision this stuff will get broken for sure out of wall/floor connection, and fly forward. How one can alleviate this stuff?

I thought about maybe metal carcass made of tubes just covered for decoration by laminated thin plywood.

You opinion would be very interesting.
The nice curved cabinetry, as well as the nice shower/toilet enclosure you speak of is the result of computer aided design. This makes sense for a production builder but not for the one-off DIY.

Few reputable production builders are using MDF or particle board in their furniture. There may be MDF or particle board in other areas but for the most part the substrate is plywood and in some cases some species of solid hardwood for door fronts.

There are brands like Tecnoform out of Italy who make a lot of the curved, contemporary furniture for coach builds and van conversions you see but they work only with the manufacturers.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts