Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
I'm not surprised at all there's no facelift. Can't say I've followed all new model releases, but to only get two years out of a first release design would be rather unusual.

The Ducato had the facelift for '14 or '15? I could see going with that for three years, then skipping a 'generation' for the PM and having NA and Euro bodies the same.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
FCA cancels summer shutdown at several plants (includes ProMaster plant)

You can't install new tooling for a face lift, if there is no shutdown. This tells me no face lift is coming.

....cut.....
What tooling is required at the assembly plant for the face lift?

It may not happen anyway, but I don't see "new tooling" as necessarily the reason. What am I missing?

·
Premium Member
8,845 Posts
According to these folks http://www.arifleet.com/publications/build-out_start-up_dates/ there never was a "summer shutdown" for ProMaster. The 2015 production ends on July 15 (a Friday) and the 2016 production begins on July 18 (a Monday) and they have published that without a change for 2 months.
I think you are right that even to get the new parts with their installation tools in place and the old ones out would require a few days scheduled into the calendar and none are there. In a way I am happy that the 2015 I ordered won't be the "old" model and I like the current face. When the new one arrives we will all think ours looks good but outdated.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Robotics for paint, welding, parts handling.
I would hope Fiat uses the same robots as in Europe so the upgrade is well tested already and comes down mostly to installing software.

Also, I was under the impression that the new Euro face can be bolted on to the ProMaster. Is that not the case?

I'm still thinking in terms of the facelift that Ford did with E-Series vans in 2008. While completely different in appearance, I've read you can get the new parts and bolt them onto an older van. As far as I know there is no welding or modifications required to the body structure below.

Fiat/RAM needs to do something quick with PM to slow Ford Transit. A facelift is just a small part of it; and RAM may be focusing on more important issues to improve its mass appeal. Hard to say what they'll revise, if anything.

·
Premium Member
8,845 Posts
You are so right about the value to Ram for nudging into a market that Transit has taken. Advertise the width, feature home conversions, push to the RV companies, facelift it, stress its Euro heritage, perhaps sell it as a Fiat and make it a package deal.... "buy a Ducato and get a 500 for one flat fee." The 500 will be in the back of the Ducato so you can drive them both home. And most of all, sell a window van with interior and seats set up for passengers. Every new hotel shuttle I have seen is a low Transit with seats and many rental companies have them, it must be a big market!

·
Registered
654 Posts
Robotics for paint, welding, parts handling.
I believe its all a bolt on change.

To the executives at RAM, a big F-U to you all for not giving us an updated front end. I will check in next year to see if the 2017's look any better - and if so, make the purchase.

In other news, FCA introduced a new 2.2 diesel that makes more HP, and more torque than the 3.0 diesel.
http://allparnews.com/index.php/2015/05/brand-new-diesel-for-cherokee-28796
An exciting development if they make it into the ProMaster in 2017 - it could increase the mpg incrementally and make a true 30mpg van.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
....cut....

In other news, FCA introduced a new 2.2 diesel that makes more HP, and more torque than the 3.0 diesel.
http://allparnews.com/index.php/2015/05/brand-new-diesel-for-cherokee-28796
An exciting development if they make it into the ProMaster in 2017 - it could increase the mpg incrementally and make a true 30mpg van.
Nice to read that FCA thinks the ZF 9HP can handle the torque of this new 2.2 liter diesel, which is even higher than the existing 3.0 diesel in PM.

The Transit only comes with one transmission -- the 6R80. Maybe all ProMasters could come with a 9-speed.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Aw, man... more power and torque, and probably use less fuel? There's always something new and shiny... *sigh*

Oh well, I'm sure to be pleased with what I've got coming. First time I've bought a 'new' vehicle, that will be fun enough in itself.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts