Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2018 159"
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,
Below are some images of our 159" conversion that we completed in November 2018. The build took us 12 months to execute though, 2 months of that were too Canadian to do anything. We moved into the van in November 2018 and since then, have enjoyed traveling around (Alberta, Montana, Idaho, Wyoming, Utah, Nevada, Arizona, California, Washington, British Columbia, Yukon and Alaska) rock climbing, mountain biking and hiking. As two Australians, North America has been an amazing place to take the slow lane, relax and enjoy the scenery.

If anyone would like more information about the build, let me know.

P.s. Thank you to anyone that has posted anything on the ProMaster Forum. I have never posted anything online before, ever. I have definitely benefited from what others have though so, thank you!

The Garage is the obvious place to start:
1_20200221_133512_HDR.jpg

There are two slides in the garage, one for bikes and the other for gear and (in a sealed box) a BBQ.
The image below shows the gear slide extended, firstly with the table attached to the slide then with the table detached, ready to use anywhere. This method of storing the table worked really well. This height adjustable table can be found just about anywhere. We used a couple of broom holders (from Home Depot) that gripped the folded up legs of the table to hold it onto the side of the slide.
2_20200221_130434_HDR.jpg 3_20200221_130316_HDR.jpg

This is the other side of the gear slide showing the extra storage and the sealed BBQ box open. The sealed box was great for protecting the van from BBQ related odours.
4_20200221_125706_HDR.jpg 4_20200221_125849_HDR.jpg 4_20200221_125842_HDR.jpg

The other slide. Pretty standard these days!
5_20200221_125137_HDR.jpg

The inside:
We wanted the inside to be able to have a seat in the rear for general day to day use but also be able to carry extra people like visiting parents. After a few days of trawling wrecking yards we stumbled upon what turned out to be the perfect seat. For those that care, it was from a 2002 Nissan Quest, which (indecently) is one of the most unfortunate looking vehicles my eyes have ever seen, great seat design though!
What was so good about it was that it was the right width and it came with its own rail system which allowed the seat to be deployed in 4 given positions on the rail. These positions were at reinforced sections of the rail which corresponded to the rail mounting points. This made installation and load distribution (during a potential accident) easier to allow for. There are a few more detailed pictures of the seat during construction in one of my 'showcases' called 'in floor storage'. I don't know how to link to it. anyway, on with the pictures...

6_20200221_120028_HDR.jpg

The Kitchen has an insulated box (shown open with the lid off) as one of the drawers. This is used to keep fruit and vegetables etc in that don't need to be refrigerated but could do with some temperature control. We maintained the temperature inside the insulated box by rotating frozen ice packs/cool blocks from the freezer when necessary. It worked very well when it was hot out.
8_20200221_120550_HDR (3).jpg 9_20200221_120550_HDR (1).jpg

I will continue the posting later. Time to check to see if what I have done is going to actually upload... if that is a thing.

·
Registered
2018 159"
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice setup! When I first saw the rear slideout, I thought that was a fridge at the back. Tubs look like they give you a lot of places to put "stuff".

Welcome, and looking forward to more posts...
Thanks proeddie,
We considered putting the fridge/freezer out the back on the slide, especially with the insulated box in the kitchen but managed to squeeze it inside. Glad we did as it would have been a pain having to exit the van, open the rear doors, pull out the slide, open the fridge/freezer, need I continue....?

·
Registered
355 Posts
Really nice stuff. Type the address of your" showcase" and someone here will do the link.

·
Registered
2018 159"
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think this is where I continue with the Post....

Sliding Door Tables.
We wanted to maximise working space inside the van and came up with the idea of having split tables mounted to the sliding door.

By splitting the tables we are able to:

Have both tables down
11_20200221_121132_HDR.jpg 18_20200221_180519.jpg

Lower the front half table and be able to open the slider, providing the rear seat is slid all the way back (where it normally sits)
10_20200221_122045_HDR.jpg 10_20200221_122113_HDR.jpg

Lower the front half table and slide the rear seat forward to its mid position. With the front seat rotated around, both front and rear seats can use the same table. This is perfect for playing cards!
10_20200221_121843_HDR.jpg

We also mounted a table to the back of the rear seat which is handy to prepare food on or move the stove so you can cook under the roof hatch
12_20200221_122539_HDR.jpg 13_20200221_122848_HDR.jpg

But, if the weather is good, its always nice to cook outside (perhaps not in a car park though)
15_20200221_124454_HDR.jpg

Speaking of inappropriate car park behaviour, here is our shower setup. Only in good weather though!
17_20200221_130832_HDR.jpg 17_20200221_130905_HDR.jpg

I have also added a couple of Showcases that showcase (ironically) some other features of the build. I did these before I knew what little I know now about posting. I will try and link to them in this post somehow.

Thanks for viewing and all the best with your own builds!

Dave and Nicole

·
Registered
2018 159"
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Really nice stuff. Type the address of your" showcase" and someone here will do the link.
Hi Roblee,
By address do you mean title?
Here are the titles of the Showcase I have posted:
Nigel: Adjustable Bed
Nigel: Tricky Trim Bits
Nigel: In floor storage

I hope they are of use to someone.

Thanks for your assistance.
Dave

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Can I see some pictures of how you did the trim around the doorways/over the wood paneling? thats an area that I haven't been able to figure out yet.

The trunk organizations is one of my big upcoming projects, trying to organize the trunk space with drawers and "tubs" because it gets so cluttered so fast.

Awesome build! I really like the table solution bolted to the doorframe, If I didn't have a window in my slider I would have totally done the same thing

·
Registered
952 Posts
Davo

Good Job !!

It looks like you have designed your build so you can pack all you need in there. Sounds like you two are out there traveling around, seeing the sites, and enjoying it👍

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
Found this comment in your showcase. It speaks volumes: "I had a bit of time to ponder the van build as a Calgary winter forces you to down tools more often than one would like, especially when you can only work outside. This gave me time to think and (perhaps) let my imagination run free."

Your treatment over the door is ingenious. How did you shape the back side?

·
Registered
2018 159"
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Found this comment in your showcase. It speaks volumes: "I had a bit of time to ponder the van build as a Calgary winter forces you to down tools more often than one would like, especially when you can only work outside. This gave me time to think and (perhaps) let my imagination run free."

Your treatment over the door is ingenious. How did you shape the back side?
MsNomer,
Yes.... my introduction to working through a Canadian winter was enlightening to say the least. I have never had to stop working because it is too cold for paint to dry or sealants to cure before, coming from Australia (where its more likely that the paint dries before it gets out of the can) it was a huge adjustment for me in as far as task planning. Interesting for sure but completely ridiculous as far as I'm concerned. The most ridiculous event for me was getting an 'ice cream headache' from the sub-arctic wind coming out of the angle-grinder into my face one fine day. It was days like these when I knew I was not from around here.

As we all know, that space above the slider is a tricky bit of space with multiple angles and contours. How did I shape the back side......
The actual piece was a collection of plywood pieces, glued and roughly assembled into shape. From memory, I started with the front piece, then once that was close to correct I added the side piece
I used the front edge of a belt sander for roughing in the major contours. It's one of the only times a belt sander has actually done what I wanted it to as they usually just make something flat more rounded. For once it was exactly what I wanted!
It took about a day using a mix between making various cardboard templates to get the profile shapes and transferring that to the rough piece or holding the rough piece in place, marking where it was interfering then taking a bit more off and repeating. Slowly, being careful to not go too far. After that it was the usual filling, edge banding and sanding to make it pretty.

Tedious? Perhaps, but rewarding in the end.

Dave

·
Registered
2018 159"
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Can I see some pictures of how you did the trim around the doorways/over the wood paneling? thats an area that I haven't been able to figure out yet.

The trunk organizations is one of my big upcoming projects, trying to organize the trunk space with drawers and "tubs" because it gets so cluttered so fast.

Awesome build! I really like the table solution bolted to the doorframe, If I didn't have a window in my slider I would have totally done the same thing
Hi Creid,
I have more pictures of the trim bits in the 'Showcase' section.They don't show how I did it, more the end result. For some reason, I have little imagery of that time of the build. From memory, my phone kept crapping out anytime I took a picture due to the cold weather.
I hope you can gain some creative ideas from what is there though.

Thanks for the compliments and good luck with your build!

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
Very interesting. You and I approached that over-door area with approximately the same technique. Our results are so different, yet similar. I have been contemplating tucking the screen under, but probably won’t because in my case it may be easier to just remove it.

The big difference is that I contemplated that eyesore for 4 years before the solution came to me.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Love the fold-down table solution on the slider door. I was hitting a brick wall, trying to come up with an idea like this and the problem I kept running into was opening the door with anything attached.
Your solution is the perfect foundation to solve my problem.
Thank you for sharing.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Hi Roblee,
By address do you mean title?
Here are the titles of the Showcase I have posted:
Nigel: Adjustable Bed
Nigel: Tricky Trim Bits
Nigel: In floor storage

I hope they are of use to someone.

Thanks for your assistance.
Dave
My bad. I didn't know "Showcase" was part of the new changes to the site.

·
Registered
2018 159"
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Love the fold-down table solution on the slider door. I was hitting a brick wall, trying to come up with an idea like this and the problem I kept running into was opening the door with anything attached.
Your solution is the perfect foundation to solve my problem.
Thank you for sharing.
RnR,
My Pleasure. I sincerely hope you can adapt my solution to fit your requirements.
Dave

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello All,
Below are some images of our 159" conversion that we completed in November 2018. The build took us 12 months to execute though, 2 months of that were too Canadian to do anything. We moved into the van in November 2018 and since then, have enjoyed traveling around (Alberta, Montana, Idaho, Wyoming, Utah, Nevada, Arizona, California, Washington, British Columbia, Yukon and Alaska) rock climbing, mountain biking and hiking. As two Australians, North America has been an amazing place to take the slow lane, relax and enjoy the scenery.

P.s. Thank you to anyone that has posted anything on the ProMaster Forum. I have never posted anything online before, ever. I have definitely benefited from what others have though so, thank you!

View attachment 61246

There are two slides in the garage, one for bikes and the other for gear and (in a sealed box) a BBQ.
The image below shows the gear slide extended, firstly with the table attached to the slide then with the table detached, ready to use anywhere. This method of storing the table worked really well. This height adjustable table can be found just about anywhere. We used a couple of broom holders (from Home Depot) that gripped the folded up legs of the table to hold it onto the side of the slide.
View attachment 61247 View attachment 61248

This is the other side of the gear slide showing the extra storage and the sealed BBQ box open. The sealed box was great for protecting the van from BBQ related odours.
View attachment 61249 View attachment 61250 View attachment 61251

View attachment 61252

The inside:
We wanted the inside to be able to have a seat in the rear for general day to day use but also be able to carry extra people like visiting parents. After a few days of trawling wrecking yards we stumbled upon what turned out to be the perfect seat. For those that care, it was from a 2002 Nissan Quest, which (indecently) is one of the most unfortunate looking vehicles my eyes have ever seen, great seat design though!
What was so good about it was that it was the right width and it came with its own rail system which allowed the seat to be deployed in 4 given positions on the rail. These positions were at reinforced sections of the rail which corresponded to the rail mounting points. This made installation and load distribution (during a potential accident) easier to allow for. There are a few more detailed pictures of the seat during construction in one of my 'showcases' called 'in floor storage'. I don't know how to link to it. anyway, on with the pictures...

View attachment 61253

The Kitchen has an insulated box (shown open with the lid off) as one of the drawers. This is used to keep fruit and vegetables etc in that don't need to be refrigerated but could do with some temperature control. We maintained the temperature inside the insulated box by rotating frozen ice packs/cool blocks from the freezer when necessary. It worked very well when it was hot out.
View attachment 61254 View attachment 61255

I will continue the posting later. Time to check to see if what I have done is going to actually upload... if that is a thing.
Hello All,

View attachment 61246

View attachment 61247 View attachment 61248

View attachment 61249 View attachment 61250 View attachment 61251

View attachment 61252

The inside:

View attachment 61253

View attachment 61254 View attachment 61255

Hi Mr Dave
That looks fantastic. As normal for Davo, I like the attention to detail and I can't belive you did all that with a pen knife and a saw. :)
Hope you are both well.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts